Sloppy Cavalier shifter... - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sloppy Cavalier shifter...
Thursday, June 23, 2016 7:28 PM
Newbie here!
So, I haven't had to deal with this yet on my other 2 cavs... thankfully. But here it is, and I know this is probably lyrics super common and I'm the last person on earth to have to deal with it lol.

So... new project car. 98 cavalier manual.
In every gear, the play is pretty close to neutral, I can move the shifter around while in gear.

I hit every gear fine. Doesn't pop out of any gear. But I have mis-shifted a few times because of it.
I know it's most likely a busching but I really want to get the low down from other owners before I go ripping stuff apart.

Help me out
Much appreciated

Re: Sloppy Cavalier shifter...
Saturday, June 25, 2016 7:53 AM
Thanks for bringing this up.

I too am interested to hear what our resident Isuzu MT experts have to say on this as well. There have been so many years of this forum now that even with the search engine it sometimes gets difficult to separate out the good advice. Most of the really good manual transmission mods and improvements have been for Getrags.

I have a 98 Cavalier 4-Door sedan with the manual Isuzu manual in addition to my 99 automatic so I would definitely like to hear some good info on improving the shifter as well.

Also, at this point with Cavaliers rapidly disappearing from the roads these days rather than hearing the typical grouchy "search the old threads" admonishments posts that it is better to maintain and improve our now shrinking community. Also, many of the old threads are loaded with dead links where pictures used to dwell and are not quite so useful as they once were.

98 Sedan Manual w/LN2
99 Sedan Automatic (3T40) w/LN2
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search