Running cold - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Running cold
Thursday, December 01, 2011 2:44 PM
I've searched and read several issues about not having any heat and running cold. My 01 cav 2.2 has been running cold since it's been cold out (haha). During my commute the needle usually stays around the 1 quarter mark on the temp gauge and only goes up if I sit and idle. On the highway it's a little worse. I've read things about the heater core and thermostat going bad, but I the thermostat that is in it was replaced in february or march. There is no coolant leaking from the heater core and it is running brand new coolant. Do you guys think my thermostat has gone bad again or any other suggestions? As of this year it has new head gasket, coolant, water pump, thermostat, and coolant temperature sensor.

Re: Running cold
Thursday, December 01, 2011 4:05 PM
You might have a little air in the system.

Thursday, December 08, 2011 2:57 PM
Well, it was running cold like this after all of the stuff that got replaced in the cooling system so i had it flushed and it was still running cold.

Thursday, December 08, 2011 9:20 PM
Weird. I just got my 2.2 ohv running good. It was running cold, but it also didn't have a thermostat. It is possible it has gone bad again. Are you replacing it with the 180 degree one?

Friday, December 09, 2011 8:08 AM
I believe that is what i replaced it with last time. Do you think I should have the 195 degree thermostat put in this time?

Friday, December 09, 2011 7:08 PM
if you are in a pretty cold climate, then I would run a thermostat that is a little higher, yea.

Saturday, December 10, 2011 11:33 AM
Well I'm in Cincinnati, Ohio. In the winter it can be in the teens and in the summer it can be in the 90's so it's kind of a weird middle ground. I might just do the 195 but I am not sure yet.

Sunday, December 11, 2011 8:56 PM
Something to add. Last night i drove from work to the house (3 mile drive, 5 min) and i was going to be leaving in a bit so i left the car running to get it to warm up. defrost was off just had it on heat turned up. While i was getting things together i left the car run like that for about 15 or 20 min. when i came out the fan was on but the temp gauge was barely over 100 degrees and cold air was coming out of the vents. I'm not sure why the fan would be running the. Earlier in the year when i replaced all that coolant stuff i had also replaced both fan relays (high and low speed). I am not quite sure what is wrong with it now.

Sunday, December 11, 2011 9:04 PM
did you check to see if the ac light was on? If it was, then the fans run as well.

Monday, December 12, 2011 3:54 PM
The light was not on.

Monday, December 12, 2011 4:33 PM
Your thermostat could have failed open.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.

Monday, December 12, 2011 5:53 PM
I hope that's the case because I have a brand new stant superstat thermostat and gasket sitting on the table waiting to be put in.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 12:42 PM
Today I put in the new thermostat and added new coolant. The coolant that was in it was really light colored even tho I just had it flushed by car-x. Now the car is running around the 3/4 mark on the temp gauge. I have heat but if I use the compressor for defrost or recirculate the temp gauge hangs between the 3/4 and 260 when driving under 40 mph.

Monday, December 19, 2011 5:31 PM
bleed it some more.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Tuesday, December 20, 2011 2:45 PM
So apparently my first thermostat was stuck open, the new one was stuck closed, and my radiator has restricted flow. A third thermostat and new coolant later I'm running at 195 degrees!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search