1999 Z24 No-Start - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1999 Z24 No-Start
Wednesday, August 13, 2014 4:48 PM
Hello, I have a 1999 Z24 with the 2.4 Twin Cam that won't start. My Dad bought it (well, traded for it) from my brother, he said it needs a water pump (which I believe it does). My brother put that horrible head gasket sealant stuff in it to try to seal the water pump leak. He lives 60 or so miles away so we went to get it, and about 10 miles back on our way home it broke down, of course, and we couldn't get it to start again after that. This was back in January, since then it has sat in the garage, untouched. We bought the water pump but not the timing chain or gears yet. Yesterday I did a compression test on it because I want to get it fixed and running so I have a daily driver thats better on gas than my 1999 S10 ZR2. The 1st cylinder (1st being the cylinder closest to the passenger side, not sure if thats how the cylinders are actually numbered) read 150 PSI, the 2nd 30 PSI, the 3rd 0 PSI and the 4th 0 PSI. On the 3rd cylinder I couldn't get the compression tester threaded in all the way, it wanted to cross thread, although the spark plug goes in just fine. Although when I connect the air compressor the the 4th cylinder I can feel the air passing through to the 3rd cylinder. I realize this means the head gasket is bad too, right? So would the lack of compression on 3 cylinders lead to it not running? I was told that there must be compression for the cylinder to fire correctly. I was considering the timing chain broke, but as I was doing the compression test the water pump started to leak fresh coolant, which from my understanding means its turning, and that would mean the timing chain is intact? Please no rude comments, I'm 17 and still learning, just trying to find out why the car won't run. Thanks in advance.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search