New...Not new - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New...Not new
Sunday, March 20, 2016 11:35 PM
Hey y'all, used to come here YEARS ago when my bud had his 1990 Cavalier VL, I was at the first J-Body bash and still have the RK Sport shirt I won.

Been through a few J bodies myself since then and am currently looking at a 1987 Sunbird convertible.

I currently have a 1989 GMC Sierra Sportside (bad transmission, being sold); 1991 Chevy S10 Blazer 4x4 and a 1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette. I recognize a few names here from Facebook groups.

Anyone that knows me knows that I am a master at adding options and features to my cars using ONLY factory GM (and some Chrysler) parts from other cars and trucks that they either never came with or never could have. Like my 1989 Sierra has things like tilt/telescopic steering using parts from a Cadillac and a Corvette; heated, autodimming mirrors with rear view mirror that also has compass/temp/homelink from an Escalade.

If I get this Sunbird, it will be no different. I already have a 1991-1992 Trans Am CD player that works and modified for an MP3 input. I will add a power antenna; power seats; factory remote keyless entry with alarm; auto-down windows (all four windows will go down when I press the rear two window switches on the master); retained accessory power including top; maybe even a Body Control Module from a 2000 Firebird and definitely suspension upgrades. Just will have to see what plays out, first order of business will be getting it running and legal, then adding a rear view mirror with compass/temp/HomeLink and a map light from a Chrysler and the CD player to get rid of the aftermarket player that's in it.

That's it for now. Hope to maybe learn some new things and post write-ups on how to do some of the mods I'll be doing later.

Re: New...Not new
Monday, March 21, 2016 9:14 PM
Granted if you get the car it is your decision to make alterations to your taste.But being a stock oem guy I think just leaving it stock and restoring the car in a limited fashion would retain a more original deal.I will say the only thing on my 85 that is changed is the radio and while the speakers are updated fit the areas fine.If you buy the car may I suggest joining in on our 1st gen forum and share your stories and update's if you do so.I really think you would get more eye's on the subject being the car is a 87 if the buy goes thru and you pursue it.Just my take and yes some other 1st gen guys have strayed onto to features that are not stock as well.Hope you can save the car and by all means if it happens show pics!!!!!!

Re: New...Not new
Monday, March 21, 2016 11:01 PM
Welcome back, could use a few more knowledgeable guys around here. Looking forward to see upcoming projects

ReD RaiN
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search