understeer? - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
understeer?
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 5:57 PM
anyone else have problems with understeer I have a 93 cavy and the understeer on it is a pain.

Re: understeer?
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 8:08 PM
Understeer on a fwd vehicle. No way!

Yes, springs, rear sway bar, shocks all help the cause.

^^Home made sig^^ ghetto, I know. http://members.cardomain.com/blackoutfire
Thursday, March 24, 2005 2:12 PM
ya sorry thats what i ment whats the best way to reduce the effects of understeer. I'm guessing tires help alot to reduce that too.
Thursday, March 24, 2005 2:19 PM
yeah, tires too

^^Home made sig^^ ghetto, I know. http://members.cardomain.com/blackoutfire
Thursday, March 24, 2005 3:59 PM
Evan Griggs wrote:ya sorry thats what i ment whats the best way to reduce the effects of understeer. I'm guessing tires help alot to reduce that too.

Biggest rear sway bar you can get your hands on and much better tires are a good start. Also gotta learn to not over push the car into the turns (learn the limits) otherwise it will just go into a horrible skid.

95 Cobra
Check out my site
Friday, March 25, 2005 11:37 PM
yea understeer is a bitch

welcome to FF

Saturday, March 26, 2005 4:16 PM
For the record... I've left this here so people can give the guy some driving advice for dealing with the understeer.

Brake early... hold speed through the corner... etc.

Otherwise it might as well be moved to the suspension forum. I'm assuming he's talking about understeer in the course of an autox event or something and not just in general.

Saturday, March 26, 2005 5:07 PM
ya what he said.
Sunday, March 27, 2005 2:35 PM
If you want to eliminate some understeer try stiffening up the rear with a sway bar. You can also run your rear tire pressures up to like 50-60psi. Run the fronts somewhere around 40-45 if they are regular street tires.

I wouldn run my pressures that high on the street though, only for racing.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 1:17 AM
Oh poly lower control arm bushings, swaybar D bushings, and endlinks help out.

A rear swaybar is definatly next on the list.

As far a driving goes . . .brake late but not too late, turn before you think you should, accelerate out of the corner.

My 2k3 Chevy | Nebraska Region SCCA
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 9:04 AM
An aggressive alignment will also help alot. Put some neg camber in the front with a tad bit of toe out. Also, check out this link. Click

http://www.gulfcoastregionscca.org/

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 12:21 PM
Quote:

anyone else have problems with understeer I have a 93 cavy and the understeer on it is a pain.

What you have to due is called "Left Foot Braking" When approaching the corner attack it from the outside. Press in the chlutch and gas. Use your e-brake to lock the rear wheels and induce the ass end of the J to kick out. Turn toward the inside of the corner and kill the e brake while you double clutch. This will allow an FF to recover and acellerate through the cornor.

Another trick is to up sift into red on approaching a corner. This will use the natural drag of the trans to slow you down as you attack it in the same way you would in a LFB move. WARNING: Use this move carfully as it can damage the transmission.

Team Tach Out
Http://www.team-tachout.com/
Falmouth,VA
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 5:11 PM
Double clutching through the corner? Somebody's been watching a little too much F&F...

I think your effort is better spent with both hands on the steering wheel and looking ahead than trying to find the right RPM's to downshift and fooling with the parking brake. Left foot braking is simply using your left foot to press the brake. Its useful for those that need to keep their engine rpm's up through the corner by pressing the gas the same time as the brake.

Again, to summarize what others have said, the best ways to compromise for understeer are:
1. Performance alignment
2. Raise the air pressure of the rear tires
3. Brake at the last second to transfer the most weight possible to the front.

Thursday, April 07, 2005 12:09 PM
yup, mine does it horribly when i launch
Thursday, April 07, 2005 12:10 PM
Bert Wert wrote:yup, mine does it horribly when i launch

i'm retarded , nevermind
Thursday, April 07, 2005 8:17 PM
Team Tach Out wrote:
Quote:

What you have to due is called "Left Foot Braking" When approaching the corner attack it from the outside. Press in the chlutch and gas. Use your e-brake to lock the rear wheels and induce the ass end of the J to kick out. Turn toward the inside of the corner and kill the e brake while you double clutch. This will allow an FF to recover and acellerate through the cornor.

Another trick is to up sift into red on approaching a corner. This will use the natural drag of the trans to slow you down as you attack it in the same way you would in a LFB move. WARNING: Use this move carfully as it can damage the transmission.

LMAO...I don't think you understand any of those terms in the slightest.

Do what this guy says if you want to end up going ass backwards through a turn
Friday, April 08, 2005 2:48 PM
actully i recently had the hounor of talking to a pro driving instructor and i asked him about this he said that the problum with left foot braking is that most people have a tendency to use too much throttle and make the understeer worse, but he said that you should actully let off the throttle use less steer input and once you regain traction the trick is to accelerate smoothly. so i guess the real answer to my question is practice.
Friday, April 08, 2005 7:00 PM
Evan Griggs wrote:so i guess the real answer to my question is practice.

Yup, there's no substitute for seat time
Friday, April 08, 2005 7:03 PM
if you practice heel n toe downshifting / braking everywhere you go, all everyday, i found that it took me about 4 months for it to become habit, I don't even think about it anymore

Friday, April 08, 2005 7:11 PM
Joshua Huber wrote:if you practice heel n toe downshifting / braking everywhere you go, all everyday, i found that it took me about 4 months for it to become habit, I don't even think about it anymore

ya but i have big feet so its a b@#$% to try to heel toe
Saturday, April 16, 2005 3:16 PM
It may seem ridiculous, but getting wheels one inch diameter bigger in front helps out too.

REAL MEN BATTLE DOWNHILL!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search