How did you start out? - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How did you start out?
Tuesday, May 10, 2005 10:25 PM
I have never been to a race track, just started driving 3 years ago (about to turn 19). I have a '97 Cavalier LS Convertible, w. a Vibrant CAI. Basically, I know nothing about racing, but I am willing to go down to the track and observer. How did you guys get started and onto the scene? Any experiences you guys have would be nice too. Thanks!

Sam

Re: How did you start out?
Tuesday, May 10, 2005 11:10 PM
high school drags

see ya!

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 5:02 AM
Started when I was 16, ran my 1986 Chevy Caprice Classic to a mind numbing 17.1. A couple years later she had a 383 stroker and was running 12.3's. My Z ran a 15.9 stock, just gotta get it to low 12's too...

2000 Z
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 5:59 AM
started when I was 17, i bought a 1986 all-trac celica, fun car until i wrecked it....my next car after that was a 1997 hyundai elantra (i,e,throttle body,plugs,wires) after that was my 1996 s-10 extreme had the 4.3 v6 nice truck until I blew out the head gaskets. Next was my cavalier.....and the story continues.....
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 6:20 AM
I think your plan of action would be pretty dependant on what you're looking to accomplish.

When it comes to the drag strip, most of us here aren't competitive racers. I only get to the track once or twice a year. I don't do it to compete in any class or series... I just do it because it's a load of fun and gives me an idea of what my car is capable of.

If this is all you're looking for, get some friends together and go to a test and tune night. Do a little reading on how the racing works (how to stage, when to take off, etc.) and just go out and have fun.

After a few of those, then you can decide whether you actually want to be competitive and have the resources to do so.

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 6:50 AM
As he stated above, when you get to the track for the first time, watch for a hour or so and see how the other people line up etc.... Than go try it. Do not go to the track thinking you are going to do great, go to have fun. When you go wanting to do great you never do.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 8:25 AM
Thanks guys! I was thinking of observing for a night or two first, then maybe hit the strip this season for the first time to get a sense of my car handles at higher speeds, what speed it is limited to and how to react. I am definately excited and want to have a ton of fun! Maybe I will persue competitive racing, ya never know.

Sam

Ban low-performance cars, not high-performance ones.
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 9:44 AM
If I was you, and your local track aloud you to ride with a friend, i would have him or her explain what they are doing while they are doing it. Then go do it yourself.

Thats the most direct route.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 10:06 AM
i'll give you a hint for a good reaction time.....go on the last yellow light....don't wait for the green light....by the time you take off on the last yellow light it will be green.....trust me

If you've street raced before its the same thing.....don't be nervous....nobody is gonna judge you on how you drive...they are there only to watch how fast you go in the 1/4 mile or the 1/8 mile whichever kinda track you have near you.

As for staging....something to watch for when you make a trip up there. There is a "staging tree".....if you watch it you'll see two yellow lights come on when people are staging....when you stage (come up to the line to race) watch the lights, when both are lit up stop and stay there then watch the tree for the countdown.....normally goes red, yellow, yellow (thats when you go), green.....but i could be wrong....after you stop and you got both lights on you can let go of the brake you will not roll....the tracks are made FLAT for this reason.

Also make sure you pay attention to the people standing around at the track they will tell you when to move and when to warm up your tires.

Other than that....you might end up racing a 11 second mustang or something so don't feel bad.....your racing for time.....not racing to win

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 12:22 PM
Hey Blackcavy, not sure where you race, but every track I've been to has the staging bulbs white, followed by 3 amber bulbs, a green then red for if you leave too soon. As far as when to leave, your reflexes and traction play a huge roll in that. I know some guys that leave as soon as the last amber bulb comes on, others as soon as it goes out. I've taken several friends down the track to show them what to do, I think it's the best method.

2000 Z
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 12:55 PM
blackcavygod wrote:normally goes red, yellow, yellow (thats when you go), green.....but i could be wrong

ummm....capitol has staging lights next to the tree not on it like the link below...and the red light is up top not on bottom.....lol capitol doesn't use a pro tree I guess

http://www.sh3d.com/protree.html

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 12:59 PM
oh and btw it says 0.4 seconds is good r/t but i coulda swore that it was susposed to be 0.5 seconds.......dunno

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 1:27 PM
blackcavygod wrote: after that was my 1996 S-10 extreme

lol

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 3:22 PM
Lash wrote:

lol

I tried to race it.....tried......if I can find my pictures of it i'll post some....looked pretty good....had it for all of 2 weeks till i blew it up

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 3:38 PM
And when I warm my tires (sorry, I'm new to the racing scene) I just stand on the brake and gas at the same time? Or am I forgetting something? I haven't done one--ever...

Sam

Ban low-performance cars, not high-performance ones.
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 3:42 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:I think your plan of action would be pretty dependant on what you're looking to accomplish.

When it comes to the drag strip, most of us here aren't competitive racers. I only get to the track once or twice a year. I don't do it to compete in any class or series... I just do it because it's a load of fun and gives me an idea of what my car is capable of.

If this is all you're looking for, get some friends together and go to a test and tune night. Do a little reading on how the racing works (how to stage, when to take off, etc.) and just go out and have fun.

After a few of those, then you can decide whether you actually want to be competitive and have the resources to do so.

fully agree, me and my friends just started going to a test and tune night and had a ton of fun, so i try to get out there atleast once a month.

| '89 Z24 Auto | '99 Prelude 5spd | '04 GS500F | '05 HD 883L |

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 3:49 PM
Lash wrote:

lol
ooooooooo i seeeee, they didn't MAKE a 96 extreme did they? Your absolutely right they didn't.....I HAD the only one

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 3:52 PM
Sam Y wrote:And when I warm my tires (sorry, I'm new to the racing scene) I just stand on the brake and gas at the same time? Or am I forgetting something? I haven't done one--ever...

Sam

Actually you can't really do a brake stand in your cavy.....the only way to do it is pull the ebrake......but you shouldn't really need to warm up your tires.....I do sometimes but i'm not sure how the 2.4 takes off.....i'm used to my 2.2ohv.....so thats all i can say about that....

Thursday, May 12, 2005 4:24 AM
I got in to racing when i was 15 my dad bought a 1972 Nova drag car i crewed for him till i was 16 then i worked at the race track for 2 years.............then i raced my 91 Z24 in Street class finished 2nd in points and Rookie of the year. Following year i won the street championship and track championship and was driver of the year......deciding on that dad gave me the race car which now ran low 11's and i won the Pro or Mod (what ever they call it at your track) Points Championship my first year in the car

now i have a 1963 Front Engine Dragster that should be out for this year

if you need any racing advice just ask

and for the tree yes it is a .500 sportsman tree .400 PRO tree is just what it means for the PROS

.500 sportsman
2 stage bulbs
then the 3 following yellows comeon one at a time in .500 intervals leave when the 3rd (bottom) yellow lights up and there is .500 between when the yellow comes on and the green if you are too fast .499 and quicker it will go red but that does not matter on a test and tune night the ET will still be the same

Thursday, May 12, 2005 5:37 AM
VIPERREDZED wrote:

and for the tree yes it is a .500 sportsman tree .400 PRO tree is just what it means for the PROS

.500 sportsman
2 stage bulbs
then the 3 following yellows comeon one at a time in .500 intervals leave when the 3rd (bottom) yellow lights up and there is .500 between when the yellow comes on and the green if you are too fast .499 and quicker it will go red but that does not matter on a test and tune night the ET will still be the same

ty for clearing that up viper I knew it was something like that

Thursday, May 12, 2005 8:34 AM
blackcavygod wrote:
Sam Y wrote:And when I warm my tires (sorry, I'm new to the racing scene) I just stand on the brake and gas at the same time? Or am I forgetting something? I haven't done one--ever...

Sam

Actually you can't really do a brake stand in your cavy.....the only way to do it is pull the ebrake......but you shouldn't really need to warm up your tires.....I do sometimes but i'm not sure how the 2.4 takes off.....i'm used to my 2.2ohv.....so thats all i can say about that....

It's actually counter productive to try and warm up street tires. Drag slicks need to be warmed up in order to stick properly. With street tires, you won't get any more traction and could actually lose traction from it.

Some people will give the tires a quick spin to throw off any rocks or anything from them but I'm not even sure that has much value unless you've just driven on a dirt road or something.

If you try to do a burnout on street tires, people watching will think you're an idiot.

Friday, May 13, 2005 4:03 PM
.400 or .500 pro tree all 3 yellows flash at the same time so its basically flash and go

forgot to put this in my upper post lol

Saturday, May 14, 2005 11:49 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:If you try to do a burnout on street tires, people watching will think you're an idiot.

On top of that since you are on street tires DO NOT GO INTO THE WATER BOX go around it. This pisses off alot of people aswell. The water box is what people go thru if they have slicks only. If you are on street tires just give the tires a quick spin and line up anything else is a waste of time.

95 Cobra
Check out my site
Sunday, May 15, 2005 7:05 PM
4000rpm, 12psi tire pressure, get the car rollin and WOT. Voila! 1.8x 60's

87GT.com

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 7:24 PM
i went to the strip with my dad when i was 15, a few friends tagged along, and my dad raced his tundra lol

i was amazed how many nice cars were down tehre, it was so fun

sooo i bought my car in aug 2002, got it painted in spring and brought it down finally, my first run was a 17.1 with a 2.4 60', which is good for my car, and good for my first time

just try it, you might like it you might not

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search