First Time At The Track... - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
First Time At The Track...
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 5:53 PM
Hey guys I finally made it to the drag strip here in Colorado. I had to forge my parents name on the waiver form and bum a few bucks from some friends, but in the end I got to race and I had a blast. Anyway my Cavalier Z24 is totally stock on street tires. My fastest time was 17.373 at 79.26 mph. My best reaction time was .316, but it was a slower run because I let my friend ride with me that run. Anyway of the 5 runs I got in my average time was about a 17.4. I am ordering some slicks for when I come back to help my 60" times and I will also be running my turbo by then too and I will get some more times for ya.

~Boost. Its what's for dinner!~

Re: First Time At The Track...
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 8:13 PM
im sorry but I would shed a tear. then I would go home and park the car and sell all the parts off of it. but thats just me. what are your 60' times??

View my MySpace
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 8:14 PM
im sorry but I would shed a tear. then I would go home and park the car and sell all the parts off of it. but thats just me. what are your 60' times??

View my MySpace
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 8:15 PM
sorry for the double post, my bad

View my MySpace
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 8:19 PM
What was the altitude of your track. Your probally pretty high in colorado. Id guess you would run 1 to 1.5 faster at sea level.
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 10:11 PM
yea, a bone stock Z depending on auto or not should run a what? 15.5-16?

2007 GM Tuner Bash...HELL YEA
PA,MD,NJ,DE,NY and all states north caravan
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 8:18 AM
Well my car is a manual and like I said bone stock, nothing at all done to it. As far as elevation I remember the sign when we were going there and the elevation was in the 4,000 somewhere. All of my 60' times where 2.588 up to 2.609. But the car is getting a lot of modification done over the summer as well as some drag slicks and when I get back we will see how she does.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 9:05 AM
being at 4000 might of have an affected your times some. but not that much. a manual Z24 runs about mid 15s depending on drivier ability

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 11:12 AM
Ya and I was expecting to be around the 15's so I was kinda like whats up with this when I was pulling 17's. As far as my shift points I ran ever gear out just before it started to get into the red. I was also just putting it into 4th usally either just before or just after I crossed the finish line.

Thursday, June 02, 2005 5:56 AM
What were you launching at? With those terrible 60's, looks like you were either too high and smoking the tires or too low and almost stalling. Find the right launch rpm and your times will drop nicely, also, just going from my track in NY which is 400 feet, to the track in Ohio for the 2001 bash, which if I remember correct was 2000 ft(?), my times dropped about .6 to .8 seconds, so your track is probably worse. Considering launch and track , I think your car is where it should be.

2000 Turbo Z
Sunday, June 05, 2005 10:15 PM
Tim Pietraallo wrote:Hey guys I finally made it to the drag strip here in Colorado. I had to forge my parents name on the waiver form and bum a few bucks from some friends, but in the end I got to race and I had a blast. Anyway my Cavalier Z24 is totally stock on street tires. My fastest time was 17.373 at 79.26 mph. My best reaction time was .316, but it was a slower run because I let my friend ride with me that run. Anyway of the 5 runs I got in my average time was about a 17.4. I am ordering some slicks for when I come back to help my 60" times and I will also be running my turbo by then too and I will get some more times for ya.

Are you kidding??? Take that thing home and get a real car. Dont ever bother racing a car that slow, its embarassing.

2000 Trans am, 6 Speed, SLP air lid, p/p throttle body, Pacesetter longtube headers, x-pipe duals exhaust, Pro5.0 shifter with lou short stick, NX wet 150 shot, NOS 10lb bottle, NOS warmer, Baker window switch, !EGR, !AIR, Drill mod.

465RWHP, 523RWTQ

Sunday, June 05, 2005 10:51 PM
Quote:

brad oneill
Today 1:15 AM

Are you kidding??? Take that thing home and get a real car. Dont ever bother racing a car that slow, its embarassing.

god you're a prick. every post you've ever made has been a flame

do us all a favor and STFU

Monday, June 06, 2005 5:57 AM
99redz24 wrote:being at 4000 might of have an affected your times some. but not that much. a manual Z24 runs about mid 15s depending on drivier ability

You might be surprised at how much elevation can affect performance.

Just consider the difference a car gets between a hot day and a cold one. This affects air density in the same way elevation does.

With less air, you'll obviously get less power and slower times.

I'm sure someone's gotta have some numbers to show what difference should be expected per 1000 ft. or something.

Monday, June 06, 2005 1:21 PM
for those of you who know anything about aviation, density altitute makes a HUGE difference in both the sense of engine performance and aerodynamic performance. As you reach higher altitudes, you have to manually lean out the air/fuel mixture to prevent running too rich (scary thought, eh?), and even at 4000 feet, performance is severely limited (in a small, single engine aircraft at least). Air temperature also has a large influence. It's perfectly natural that driving at a higher altitude would reduce performance in a magnitude greater than some would expect.

Monday, June 06, 2005 2:41 PM
Bandimere is actually at 5880'. Fastest i've seen a manual stock NA z run is a 16.9. My fastest time there with a 70 shot was a 15.4. Using the NHRA altitude adjustment calculator you subtract 1.3 seconds for the altutude. Being this high SUCKS LOL

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 3:50 PM
brad oneill = 1 big tool.. now go home
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 11:32 AM
I have a 03 cav 5 spd, and when i ran at the track i ran a 15.8 and the elevation is at 3700 ft, I think you can probabaly improve, i think humidity has a alot to do with it too the air out here where i live is pretty dry.
Friday, June 17, 2005 5:07 AM
Well guys I recently found out that my car needs spark plugs so that may be why it was running a little slow. I wish I could go back but I am on vacation now for the summer working. As far as lauching I think it was like 2,700 rpm or so... I was mainly just reving it to what sounded natural to me and I had my eyes on the tree majority of the time. Anyway my turbo setup is slowly in progress back at home and I think a shift light or a tach with a shift light might not be a bad idea if it will help in the long run. I will post again the next time I get to go to the track. Thanks guys for all your input!

Thursday, June 23, 2005 11:41 AM
Oh please... As the guy said, he went there and had fun. Thats what matters most, HE HAD FUN! Not everyone has to be a professional dragster, and not everyone has to know how to fully utilize their car into running GREAT times. The guy has a nice car, he went to the track to had fun with a STOCK car, and he ended up being happy when he left. So whats the big issue?

As for the people who say "get a real car"... Well, give the guy $34,000 for an Evo and he will. Until then, shut up.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search