How to aboid blowing your engine - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to aboid blowing your engine
Friday, June 24, 2005 3:04 AM
Alright I've already mapped out a few things I wanna do on my car in the next few months.

My car will be my daily driver. I'm not boosting I'm staying purely NA.

What will blow my engine? I don't want something crazy to happen at the track and have no car for a few weeks due to blowing my engine.

cams are going in in a few weeks. and my mods are listed on my cars info. How risky is it racing your daily driver? Would any of you recommend it? or against it?

how much is too much for an NA? I know the ld9 has a bottom end of 200 something.... the number escapes me...

anyways. help me out?

Premium since Tuesday, May 24, 2005 10:19 Pacific time. Support the .org people!

Re: How to aboid blowing your engine
Friday, June 24, 2005 9:14 AM
going n/a you have to add a heck of a lot to blow it, getting into p&p etc etc, there are not really any breaking points, but just make sure after installing something that youget it tuned out properly and it should run well. Racing a daily driver puts a little more stress on it, but all in all I dont think that especially a n/a car its going to hurt it

http://www.aplusperformance.com
http://www.modified-motorsports.com
Friday, June 24, 2005 1:43 PM
I heard somewhere that the Ecotec engine (if you have it), and handle up to 230hp without having to do anything transmission-wise. If that helps you..
Friday, June 24, 2005 4:20 PM
NA will be hard to break UNLESS you do something stupid, ie: screw up the cam installation, decide to bounce off the rev limiter constantly, or forget to change your oil, etc. Eco is a very stout engine and racing in the 1/4 mile is not that abusive to your car.... after all, on a drag run your car is only at WOT for AT MOST 18 seconds (if you run slower than that, well turn in your keys lol). Just make sure that all motor work is done by either yourself (if you KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING) or a competent shop and you perform the proper break-in procedures for each modification, and you shouldn't have a problem. Don't shift without using the clutch and don't bother "powershifting" or shifting while leaving your foot on the gas at WOT. It can damage your clutch and trans and doesn't really improve your times enough to be worth it. I posted my best time ever last night on a run where i shifted normally (but VERY quickly).

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Thursday, June 30, 2005 2:44 AM
my best runs are with 'barely' tapping the clutch.......

just pulled my clutch and flywheel out...... tons of life left

When I had N2O on it, I would hold it to the floor the whole run, and shift like mad....... never missed a gear.

NOT saying you should do that....... just saying it worked for me.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Thursday, June 30, 2005 9:13 AM
n/a i dont see you blowing it....that means no nitrous

a good way to prevent anything from happening, after cams, and everything else you plan on putting on it are installed, bring it to a place where they know what there doing and get them to dyno it, and tune it right as far as fuel pressures etc....i dont think you will have any problems

Thursday, June 30, 2005 9:16 AM
i had a friend with a stock dodge colt he had no gas so he put in two bottles of octane booster,,, 5 min the engine blew,,,,, it was funny as hell..... i told him he was a dumb ass and that was one of the stupiest things i have ever seen someone do with their car

his response"it said adds horse power on the front of the bottle"hahahahahaha

so dont do that and you should be ok

Thursday, June 30, 2005 1:20 PM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:my best runs are with 'barely' tapping the clutch.......

just pulled my clutch and flywheel out...... tons of life left

When I had N2O on it, I would hold it to the floor the whole run, and shift like mad....... never missed a gear.

NOT saying you should do that....... just saying it worked for me.

Did you have a RPM switch to turn off the juice?

FU Tuning

Thursday, June 30, 2005 2:20 PM
^^ if you're fast enough, the revs shouldn't climb that much... when i used to flat-shift the beetle, i never hit limiter even though i shifted just under it.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, July 09, 2005 3:53 PM
What would distroy any NA engine? It could be any one or combo of the following: over reving the engine, premature detenation, dropping a valve, input shaft snapping, trans exploding, cv axle braking, crank walk, crank bowing, and of course the infomous head on collision.

Team Tach Out
Http://www.team-tachout.com/
Falmouth,VA
Monday, July 11, 2005 4:31 PM
Team Tach Out wrote:What would distroy any NA engine? It could be any one or combo of the following: over reving the engine, premature detenation, dropping a valve, input shaft snapping, trans exploding, cv axle braking, crank walk, crank bowing, and of course the infomous head on collision.

if a squirrel makes a house inside your engine while the cylinder head is off.... that could do it.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 4:13 PM
can someone describe powershifting

DRIVE HARD OR DONT DRIVE AT ALL!!!

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 8:47 AM
keep up on your regular maintenance, and don't race it, but drive responsibly.

Read, then process the info, think logically, than if you don't have a headache afterwards, post your response
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search