What tires do you run...Stickys for AutoX - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What tires do you run...Stickys for AutoX
Sunday, June 26, 2005 9:29 PM
So i was wondering what kinda and size sticky tires everyone runs at AutoX. Thinking about manning up and buying some.

Re: What tires do you run...Stickys for AutoX
Monday, June 27, 2005 4:11 AM
Monday, June 27, 2005 4:19 AM
I would suggest that you start out racing on a street compound that isn't near as forgiving as a R compound tire. Something like a Kumho MX or Falken Azenis. Get the widest tire that you can that will fit on whatever wheel size you have. I wouldn't go bigger than a 16" wheel though.

Something like a 215/45/16 would work well.

Monday, June 27, 2005 8:17 AM

I have Tokohama A048's on my car in a 225/50R16 and they are really nice but they are an R compound like previously said start with street tires and learn off of them. A street tire will give you more notice of when they are about let go.

Ryan Butchart 1 man, 1 car, 1 lap at a time.

Monday, June 27, 2005 8:40 AM
I have 205 Kuhmo V700 Victoracers on the car now, last year i ran the Kuhmo Supra MX's. The largest size you can fit in the wheel wells is about 225, and still have full lock to Iock steering. I know some run 195 R compounds because they like to flick the car around, whereas the wider tires won't be as agile.
Dont go any larger than a 16" wheel, and I would suggest finding a light weight 14" or 15" wheel if you were getting serious down the road. R compound tires dont give you the warning when you are close to the traction limit (they dont squeal like street tires). If this is your first year autocrossing I know alot of instructors suggest that you run your street tires the first year. Running race tires can mask driving flaws...
Anyways good luck
Monday, June 27, 2005 1:55 PM
I ran events for 2 years before i bought R compounds. I now run a 13x8 with 225 hoosiers. i also have a set of 14x6's that i run some victoracers on, soon to be my street driving wheels..

AIRPLANE SHANE
Mazda Rev It Up Atlanta Champion '03
#118 H2 98 Honda Civic DX
http://teamlovely.shutterfly.com
89Z24 conv. island cruiser
Monday, June 27, 2005 8:37 PM
225/50/15 Kumho V710's on 15x7" Kosei K1 Racing rims...sticky as hell, but like the others said run on street tires at first because a novice running on tires like these could find themselves in unfamiliar situations real quick

1990 Z24 - DSP
CACC BC Region
Victoria Motorsports Club
Tuesday, June 28, 2005 5:24 AM
I'll bet your V710's don't look that new anymore

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 5:44 AM
215 azenis

see ya!

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 10:30 AM
Zach wrote:I'll bet your V710's don't look that new anymore

haha....no, they are little more beat up, but holding up quite well. I'm really impressed with them

1990 Z24 - DSP
CACC BC Region
Tuesday, June 28, 2005 12:15 PM
hey oldskool, This is sort of off topic but, how do you like those rims? Those are the exact same ones I was going to get.

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 6:19 PM
ECOTEC wrote:hey oldskool, This is sort of off topic but, how do you like those rims? Those are the exact same ones I was going to get.

So far so good. Decently light and strong for the price. SSR Comp's would be ideal but are just way too much $$$$$

1990 Z24 - DSP
CACC BC Region
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search