my pos sunfire at the track...times after few mods - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
my pos sunfire at the track...times after few mods
Friday, June 24, 2005 9:20 PM
hey im honestly about to sell my 2.4 sunfire and get something thats already semi-quick stock (civic si, rsx-s, mazda6 ect..) because im just getting pissed with having to change this and that to get my car in the mid 15's even...its pointless. i put on a header,catback,intake and 59mm rsm t/b and im running worse than i was few months back when i was bone stock. i ran a 15.90 flat stock and tonight i kept running 15.99...the temp was like 5 degrees off from when i ran stock and tonight so it shouldnt have made that much of a differance and plus i should be in the 15.7's at least shouldnt i with these mods?....i just dont get it i mean if i gonna be putting things into my engine i wanna see some differant numbers cause i was gonna order stage 1 cams and aem and ud racing pulleys next week but from what the t/b,intake,catback and header has showed me, my cars not worth putting money into.

Re: my pos sunfire at the track...times after few mods
Friday, June 24, 2005 10:24 PM
you're complaing about a .09 difference?
lots of things could affect your times, the air temp, track conditions. your driving skills
dont get disappointed

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Friday, June 24, 2005 11:46 PM
let me guess you sat in the staging lanes with the hood down?the other day when i went to the track at first i did not leave the hood up to cool the engine and ran 16.024 and when i let the hood up and ran the cat as little as possible between runs i went 15.6's. i was getting beat by this kid on a 00 firebird V6 with headers and exhaust ,cold air intake auto. when i left the hood up i beat him off the line and ET/MPH

see ya!

Re: my pos sunfire at the track...times after few
Friday, June 24, 2005 11:46 PM
Dude.... i think its more likely in #1 your car's weight, and #2, your driving... a 2.4 should be a running a 15.9, and probably faster than that, STOCK.

How many miles on the car? Do you take the subs that are listed in your registry out of the car to race?

Your 60' times aren't terrible, but your MPH at the traps seems very low, and trap speed is almost directly related to power/weight ratio. So either you're car is very heavy, your engine is worn out from mileage, or you're shifting to low in the rpm band. Try removing any dead weight and shifting at redline, if you're not already doing so. If you are doing all of the things i've suggested and running a 15.9, than i would start looking for problems with the powertrain, because i know OHV's doing 15.7's with 85 mph trap speeds....

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, June 25, 2005 12:07 AM
Dude.... i think its more likely in #1 your car's weight, and #2, your driving... a 2.4 should be a running a 15.9, and probably faster than that, STOCK.

How many miles on the car? Do you take the subs that are listed in your registry out of the car to race?

Your 60' times aren't terrible, but your MPH at the traps seems very low, and trap speed is almost directly related to power/weight ratio. So either you're car is very heavy, your engine is worn out from mileage, or you're shifting to low in the rpm band. Try removing any dead weight and shifting at redline, if you're not already doing so. If you are doing all of the things i've suggested and running a 15.9, than i would start looking for problems with the powertrain, because i know OHV's doing 15.7's with 85 mph trap speeds....

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, June 25, 2005 1:03 AM
your automatic tranny isnt helping you any, but more information about your times could help people help you find out why you suck at "teh" drag racing

208whp 239wtq
13.7 @ 102mph 2.19 60'
Saturday, June 25, 2005 9:51 AM
novaracer wrote:let me guess you sat in the staging lanes with the hood down?the other day when i went to the track at first i did not leave the hood up to cool the engine and ran 16.024 and when i let the hood up and ran the cat as little as possible between runs i went 15.6's. i was getting beat by this kid on a 00 firebird V6 with headers and exhaust ,cold air intake auto. when i left the hood up i beat him off the line and ET/MPH

no, i deffinatly had my hood open in line until it was my turn to go up. it was at 190 degrees when i was waiting for the tree to drop.

Saturday, June 25, 2005 9:56 AM
my hood was up, spare tire and jack was out, system was out, anything that didnt belong in the car was taken out (clothes,cd's ect), amp fuse was taken out and the tire preasure was even and i was running a 1/4 tank of gas. my car has 59000 miles on it and never had any problems at all with the engine or tranny or the car for that matter. when i ran a 15.90 stock i had 57200 miles on it. is a auto that shifts at 6.5 grand (redline) so obviously im not shifting manualy.

Saturday, June 25, 2005 11:48 AM
If you have all those mods, you shouldn't be running worse then stock. It just isn't possible unless you have a horrible mechanic.

Also, if you wanted speed right off the bat, why didn't you go for a Civic SI, or Mazda instead of buying a Sunfire? Sure, the Mazda 6 will blow away a Sunfire, but you'll pay an extra $11,000 for it
Saturday, June 25, 2005 1:10 PM
jsunfireGT2000 wrote:my hood was up, spare tire and jack was out, system was out, anything that didnt belong in the car was taken out (clothes,cd's ect), amp fuse was taken out and the tire preasure was even and i was running a 1/4 tank of gas. my car has 59000 miles on it and never had any problems at all with the engine or tranny or the car for that matter. when i ran a 15.90 stock i had 57200 miles on it. is a auto that shifts at 6.5 grand (redline) so obviously im not shifting manualy.
have you changed plugs yet?fuel system cleaner? something is not right.

see ya!

Saturday, June 25, 2005 2:55 PM
my oil has been changed recently, fuel filter, plugs like a month ago.....im thinking of messing with the air/fuel ratio with the apexi controller but i dunno guys

Saturday, June 25, 2005 11:25 PM
you dont need to mess with the A/F with bolt ons. even with all the bolt ons you can get for your engine. it will only amount to around 25 to 30 hp. if that

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Saturday, June 25, 2005 11:41 PM
still havnt mentioned any useful info on your runs like 60 foots mph things like that

208whp 239wtq
13.7 @ 102mph 2.19 60'
Sunday, June 26, 2005 4:53 PM
what plugs and what gap?

see ya!

Sunday, June 26, 2005 7:27 PM
Either something wrong with your car or you cant drive, sorry but a 2.4 should run faster than that stock.

1997 pontiac sunfire
2.2 OHV 2.4l coming soon
2.25 inch custom exhaust
WAI
RK Underdrive pulley
50 shot of NX
pacesetter header
Monday, June 27, 2005 6:46 AM
My stock auto Z24 ran a 16.6 with subs in.

With B&M shift plus, upper/lower poly motor mounts, header, high flow cat, catback, warm air intake, well maintained engine (115,000 miles). I am at 15.8 all day long. My 60 times need improvement.

More info on your run could help us a lot.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, June 28, 2005 12:15 PM
what RPM did you launch at, did you launch at all? do you KNOW how to launch an auto, we need more info to give our opinions, personally i dont think you did all that bad.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search