Drive Belt - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Drive Belt
Wednesday, June 29, 2005 9:29 AM
I know this is a dumb question guys but i dont want to take out my a/c or buy an underdrive pulley so i was thinking of taking off my drive belt when i raced, or getting a shorter belt so that the a/c wouldn't have to turn. Any feedback would be great.

Re: Drive Belt
Wednesday, June 29, 2005 1:29 PM
You could do that, but better have a strong battery. I heard of a 2.3 picking up 7 hp at the wheels by doing that. Why do you not want to get a underdrive pulley?

FU Tuning

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 2:28 PM
How long do you think it would run off the stock battery ? I would really like to get it a try to see how much time i could lose. I dont feel like spending the money on a pulley. Id rather save and supercharge it down the road.
Wednesday, June 29, 2005 3:24 PM
Terry Racine wrote:How long do you think it would run off the stock battery ? I would really like to get it a try to see how much time i could lose. I dont feel like spending the money on a pulley. Id rather save and supercharge it down the road.

How old is your battery? mine is 3 years and I donot trust mine. Also depends on if at night or day time. You can get a pulley for $35 shipped off ebay, and a belt for $15. Not a lot to effect savings.

FU Tuning

Thursday, June 30, 2005 2:32 AM
on my 97 auto, I got 3 runs off it before the battery died...... the last run suffered because of the low voltage.

over all, dropped .5 off my 1/4 mile times.......

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Thursday, June 30, 2005 8:00 AM
if you do that make sure you turn it off after you run since without the belt you wont be pumping coolant. Shouldnt hurt it though.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Thursday, June 30, 2005 1:21 PM
Jbody2nr wrote:if you do that make sure you turn it off after you run since without the belt you wont be pumping coolant. Shouldnt hurt it though.

Wrong the 2.4 water pump is ran by timing chain. 2.2 is different.

FU Tuning

Friday, July 01, 2005 12:49 AM
good 'ole chain drive

Saturday, July 02, 2005 1:42 PM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:on my 97 auto, I got 3 runs off it before the battery died...... the last run suffered because of the low voltage.

Seriously?? That's awesome. I wouldn't have thought it would be that big a gain from dropping the alternator!

Saturday, July 02, 2005 5:59 PM
i gained .2 myself by dropping the serpentine belt and i lasted 4 runs with no issues and still had juice to start its almost a 15 hp loss driving the a/c and alternator

definitely have some jumper cables with or a spare battery though if you do it

04 sunfire auto, mid 15's n/a, and still going
Sunday, July 03, 2005 4:51 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:
SpeedRacerZ wrote:on my 97 auto, I got 3 runs off it before the battery died...... the last run suffered because of the low voltage.

Seriously?? That's awesome. I wouldn't have thought it would be that big a gain from dropping the alternator!

It was @ the '01 bash...... the 'up-hill' track. On my last run, the car died right at the finish line..... I had to coast around the back side...... and at that track they had the 'slip' booth at that end. So I had to stop, get my slip, then push my car down the hill to our parking spot..... in the grass. Wonderfull memories.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 6:42 PM
15 hp just to run the alternator??? I mean, the AC pully is just an idler pulley when it's not engaged. That's a lot of power for just the alternator!

Of course, the numbers won't lie. I wonder if I could dyno this. Have to think about how I might run a belt past the alternator with the blower on.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 9:43 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:15 hp just to run the alternator??? I mean, the AC pully is just an idler pulley when it's not engaged. That's a lot of power for just the alternator!

Of course, the numbers won't lie. I wonder if I could dyno this. Have to think about how I might run a belt past the alternator with the blower on.

AC might be a idler pulley but it is taking up power to spin it regardless. I would like to dyno this all motor as well, and might in the near future.

FU Tuning

Sunday, July 03, 2005 10:06 PM
John Higgins wrote:
Wild Weasel wrote:15 hp just to run the alternator??? I mean, the AC pully is just an idler pulley when it's not engaged. That's a lot of power for just the alternator!

AC might be a idler pulley but it is taking up power to spin it regardless. I would like to dyno this all motor as well, and might in the near future.

doing that is worthless....... Mr. Goodwrench/GT explained this to me...... dyno's are for ricers....... (othercars forum...... Cobalt SS dyno's 215whp)

Monday, July 04, 2005 7:29 AM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:
John Higgins wrote:

doing that is worthless....... Mr. Goodwrench/GT explained this to me...... dyno's are for ricers....... (othercars forum...... Cobalt SS dyno's 215whp)

I do not see it as worthless. See some people say removing the belt is worthless, but you say it is not. A dyno can prove it is not worthless.
Since when is knowing your power comsidered you to be a ricers?

FU Tuning

Monday, July 04, 2005 12:35 PM
I believe it was a joke.

My Car
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 12:46 AM
Yes, it was a JOKE!!!

I already proved it made a difference in 1/4 mile times, so obviously it would show a HP gain.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 6:04 PM
I took a look at the ecotec belt tensoner. It's a little different than the 2.4L
It doesn't have a bolt to "twist" the tension off the belt.

How do you remove the belt easily on the eco?

My Car
Wednesday, July 06, 2005 11:41 PM
use a 3/8" drive breaker bar, a ratchet will be tight and might not fit, and just push or pull to losen

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 11:43 PM
sorry but to reiterate theres a spot in the tensioner to put the 3/8 drive into the little square hole

Thursday, July 07, 2005 1:15 PM
Cool thanks! I'll try right now.

My Car

Thursday, July 07, 2005 1:49 PM
Wow wish I had a longer 3/8 breaker bar. but it works.

My Car
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search