16.57 in 1/4, how can i get it faster - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
16.57 in 1/4, how can i get it faster
Sunday, June 12, 2005 6:50 AM
I had some ideas like re-flashing the computer and dummying the air fuel. But any other sugestions that wont kill my wallet

Re: 16.57 in 1/4, how can i get it faster
Sunday, June 12, 2005 8:12 AM
go on a nice cool dry night how hot was it when you ran?

see ya!

Sunday, June 12, 2005 10:53 AM
probably around 80 that night and very humid, i'll try to catch it when it gets cooler
Sunday, June 12, 2005 10:54 AM
dumping more feul into your engine wont give you power. and a reflash is only good if you have boost

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, June 12, 2005 10:56 AM
and that "jet perofrmance module" you have in your future mods area in your profile. save your money and dont buy it. its junk and does nothing. and before you ask you can not chip your car

Sunday, June 12, 2005 11:12 AM
actually you can get more power by dummying the air fuel system, i allready knew the car couldnt be chiped though. i just never took it off yet
Sunday, June 12, 2005 1:40 PM
thats actually not too bad of a time for an auto OHV... But 99redz24 is correct, while the jet performance module may give you a slight increase in power in the midrange, it will not affect peak power and may cause other driveability issues. Its not worth the money they charge for it. There are quite a few other bolt ons that you don't have listed in your registry that could help you. An enlarged throttle-body, B&M shiftplus for your trans, perhaps fabricating a true ram-air system as well. And thats just the easy stuff. There are also 1.6:1 ratio rocker arms that can be installed to gain more valve lift which will get more air/fuel mixture into the cylinders and add more power. Something you may want to consider is buying another 2200 longblock, and building that up outside of the car, then swapping it in when you're done. 2200 engines can generally be found for about $200 + shipping, and internal parts tend to be less expensive than the twin-cam engines. Just something to think about.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Sunday, June 12, 2005 3:17 PM
thats cool man thanks, im going to do a little research on them. Thanks for the info
Sunday, June 12, 2005 5:15 PM
will the 1.6:1 rocker arms have any clearence issues with the valve cover. Need to know before i buy them. Planing on getting them tomorrow. Thanks
Sunday, June 12, 2005 5:42 PM
Read this:
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=215434&t=215434

For the info on the rockers read this: http://www.howellautomotive.com/Howell/Store/catalog/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1232

For Cams Call Dave Maxwell @ Crane Cams:386-252-1151 Ext. 4424

Read these on porting and polishing heads:
http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.shtm
http://diyporting.com/
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/2341/pandp.htm

read this on valve jobs:
http://automotiverebuilder.com/ar/ar119854.htm

Also after reading all those, then start your shopping and do searches on each item .

Monday, June 13, 2005 9:41 AM
why dont people read the pref FAQ??

its so very simple and easy..

"There is no point in looking fast if your not."

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 2:14 PM
to get fast i recommend the following...

- run 1/4 tank of gas at most
- take out spare tire and the jack
- take out your sub box if any

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 9:45 AM
lose weight diet what ricard simons (free)

b&m shift plus48 bucks 2 wires to install

takes out things that don't need to be in the car

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 6:37 PM
"modified the air/fuel"

what are you talking about? more fuel won't do much without the air or spark to back it up.

A port and polish on the head is a good start, and is a big power increase in most OHVs, but even that isn't enough to really justify adding more fuel without raising compression or adding boost.

also without timing advance (more than the stock computer) it tends to goto waste. A piggy back computer like eManage would be a good place to start if you want to mess with the fuel and spark values since it controls both.

also, you list header and muffler under your engine mods, but what about the rest of the piping? enlarging all the piping from the front to the rear is the only way you'll see the true gain of doing performance exhaust. 2.25" is best for n/a.... 2.5" to 3" for boost.

I say do this (in this order)

*finish the exhaust
*B&M shift plus (better than the auto trans interceptor... its adjustable from inside the car)
*both motor mounts (upper and lower) as well as tranny mounts all are available from karo
*port and polish the head (if you're going boost have the valves oversized 1mm.. you may only be able to have the intake side enlarged due to clearance issues in the combustion chamber). be sure to get stainless steel back cut valves from karo.... car customs
*larger throttle body... either a 2.4 TB (59mm) or RSM's TB (62mm)
*A-arm bushings
*better tires
*suspension
*GReddy eManage (or similar)
*boost or spray

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 10:12 AM
Thanks flying squirrel, all that is what i need to make sure of. Because the exhaust will be here in 4 days as well as the high flow cat. I just orderd the motor mounts and does the shift plus work on a 3 speed. Alos involving the spark with my car, it is being done as we speek right now back at my sho i work at. Im on break right now but i'll give you some info on how its doing,
Wednesday, June 29, 2005 10:41 PM
not sure about shift plus on a 3speed...

check out the tranny forum someone there may have the answer

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 10:44 PM
3 spd should have a real shift kit available. Check 2nd gen products on Jbody Performance's site. The three speed isn't an electronically controlled trans so shift plus would be useless as it overrides the electronic control. You trans should be a TH125, email JBP to see if they have a shift kit for your application.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Wednesday, June 29, 2005 10:50 PM
the shift kits like B&M and AUtotrans are only for the 4 speed autos.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search