autocross questions - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
autocross questions
Friday, July 01, 2005 3:06 AM
Any of you drive in autocross events (e.g. SCCA Solo)? If so, I have some questions for you.

I just recently found out about the Solo type events (and a couple SCCA clubs in my area). This type of driving seems like something I would enjoy a bit more than 1/4 mile racing. I've been trying to figure out what 'class' my cavy would fit in when I get it finished.

My current goal is;
body kit (yeah, I know... but it's something I want to do)
Ignition controller and coilpacks
pulley
motor/tranny mounts
stiffer suspension (new struts/coils, and sway-bars)
strut tower braces (front and rear)
short intake, and possibly a larger TB
cat-back exhaust
better wheels/tires (not quite sure what size/rating yet)

Now the big question is, will this put me into a class where I would stand no chance at all? I've read the SCCA documents on classes and whatnot, and some general guidelines (like "If you're interested, just bring your car as-is before modifying anything), but since I'm being deployed soon it won't be until next season that I'll be able to enter anything it looks like. And to top it off, I've got a bad wrench problem, I like to fix things that aren't broke

I would greatly appreciate any comments/suggestions

Re: autocross questions
Friday, July 01, 2005 3:54 AM
I believe you would be in STS if you loose the pulley. STS is a very competitive class. I think cavaliers and sunfires honestly stand a better chance in a Street Prepared class since we are so underpowered for our weight. But, you loose out on a lot of competition by doing that and you can spend a lot more money.

The best thing to do is go out and run it in stock class for a year and then modify it. If your still stuck on modifying it, stick within the STS limits. The main point that I'm really trying to get across is that you should be more concerned with getting seat time than your classing during your first year. Also, make sure you don't go out and run on the expensive R compound tires because they will cover up your mistakes.

Friday, July 01, 2005 4:35 AM
Yeah, I was just reading the rather large PDF on all the limitations for different classes, makes my head spin a little

Insofar as seat time is concerened, I'll be finishing putting the car together within the next week or so (bought it with a bit of front end damage and put a new front clip in), then getting deployed for a few months. Most of the local events are during the time I'll be out of the country it looks like, so it will be a while before I even get to watch an SCCA event

Friday, July 01, 2005 12:36 PM
Would my car still be considered stock if all I have is 17" wheels and performance springs? I am also interested in the autocross events in my area.
Friday, July 01, 2005 5:24 PM
Jamie Michael wrote:Would my car still be considered stock if all I have is 17" wheels and performance springs? I am also interested in the autocross events in my area.

Nope, you would have to run in STS. You would probably do better in STS anyhow since most serious stock class drivers are on R-compounds and the J's aren't exactly the "it" car in GS/HS

1990 Z24 - DSP
CACC BC Region
Victoria Motorsports Club
Sunday, July 03, 2005 12:26 PM
Jamie Michael wrote:Would my car still be considered stock if all I have is 17" wheels and performance springs? I am also interested in the autocross events in my area.

so are you asking if your modified car is ok for stock class? i think you answered your own question.

but if not......heres the answer, the 17's change your class as do the springs, your gonna wind up in either dsp or sts class......at least thats what i ran in depending on region

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Sunday, July 03, 2005 4:08 PM
I'm pretty sure you can run whatever wheel you want in stock class. Its the springs that bump you to STS.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 5:53 PM
nope, my cavy got bumped to dsp for only having 17 inch rims

Hail Satan

Sunday, July 03, 2005 7:25 PM
Oh, they were right : "Any wheel of diameter and width identical to a stock or factory optional wheel, offset within +- 0.25 inch"

Running 17's is a bad idea anyways.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 9:44 PM
whats wrong with 17s?? i figured they'd run better for autox because of the low profile tires having no sidewall flex......is it because 17's are heavier?

Hail Satan

Monday, July 04, 2005 8:23 AM
I think their maybe a little advantage with 17's if you can afford tires in that size. i run 16's because their cheap and i got the wheels cheap! i do ok. but like they say it is all in the driver and the driver being able to tune the car for what he needs for the conditions. you can have a car that is just at full prep for the class you chose but if you are not able to tune out a push on turn in or at the apex then you will not do well trying to drive around a problem.

see ya!

Monday, July 04, 2005 12:26 PM
You can get very stiff sidewalled tires in 15" sizes that are "low profile". I NEVER had a problem with sidewall flex on my 205/55/16 Azenis.

Monday, July 04, 2005 8:19 PM
well i just got the 14 inch steelies, with stock tires, don't think those will do good at all for autox, I think im better off with my 17's but mabey i'll try one race with them and one with my stock stuff

Hail Satan

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 1:06 PM
i'm in DSP this year

all that i need now are some nice R-Comp on 15" rims

remember this... torque is your friend in solo2

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 5:59 PM
Modfire wrote:i'm in DSP this year

all that i need now are some nice R-Comp on 15" rims

remember this... torque is your friend in solo2

And I just got me a set LOTS OF FUN!!!!!!

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 9:44 PM
I have 17" rims for AutoX and I seem to be doing fine in my area, i'm 3rd in the Drivers Championship. So I must be doing something good, and all I have is Intake, Catback, Rear Sway Bar and Struts and springs.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 9:26 AM
I got put in sts when i had my 18s and pully with exhaust. Im still in sts but i got the konis rims teins braces exhaust mounts and bullies. I do this for fun but they still have me in sts . and the tech guys say i can add sway bars and still stay in sts. I run against wrx an acura rsx impressas and there was one vw last time i went to an event i raced in.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search