Ecotec transmissions and powershifting - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec transmissions and powershifting
Saturday, June 25, 2005 3:20 AM
I've got the priveledge of driving a 2003 cavy with an ecotec from the shop I work at while my truck is getting its tranny rebuilt (and while I'm building my car). It has a brand new Ecotec in it (just passed the break-in point on it), and I was wondering if any of you know how well the manual transmissions hold up to powershifting (not letting off the gas while upshifting).

I do realize that this puts some strain on any transmission, but up until I started driving this car (and building my 99 Cavy), the only transmissions I've dealt with are older TH350/400's and SM465's

Re: Ecotec transmissions and powershifting
Saturday, June 25, 2005 4:07 AM
Transmission forum is probably more applicable than the racing forum >:| brain fart on my part guys

Saturday, June 25, 2005 8:16 AM
The trans will probably hold this for a while, but it will cause wear... Also, it won't make you much faster, I can shift just as fast normally as i can powershifting, so its really not worth it. Now if the trans was strong enough to shift at WOT without using the clutch, that would make you faster, but i can't think of a single FWD trans that I'd ever have the stones to try that on.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, June 25, 2005 8:34 AM
I wouldnt, QBE is now going to be on his 3rd Tranny

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 12:06 PM
Im not going to try it. My dealer mechanic said powershifting gona kill the transmission. There not ment to hold that force.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
My Car Specs
Club J-Body Montreal Forums
Tuesday, June 28, 2005 12:10 PM
hehe... I couldn't help myself one time at the track and I tried it. Whoops. well, my tranny still seems to be alright. But I only did it for one run and it wasn't any faster.

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Friday, July 01, 2005 1:01 PM
It wont help out cause you also need to remember that you will be bouncing the revlimiter for that split second, so by the time you are in gear you got the fuel cut off to make up for, (talking milli seconds but it all counts in the 1/4)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search