Autocross category? - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Autocross category?
Friday, July 08, 2005 3:23 PM
I've been reading through the SCCA Solo II rule book and classifications, but I'm having a hard time pinpointing what my planned setup will fit under. When I get my new car, my Cavy will be a weekend only, mainly race car. I plan to have the 2200 turbocharged to roughly 250whp (with built internals), and I plan to gut the interior of everything, minus roll cage, seat, etc. I also plan to run R-Compounds. I just have a bad feeling that I'm going to be stuck into a class that I probably cannot compete in.

Re: Autocross category?
Friday, July 08, 2005 6:09 PM
Depending on what you do, you could probably still fit into SM (Street Mod) which wouldn't be too bad. How competitive will you be? That depends on you and who lives in your area, though the J's are certainly never the "it" car in any class

1990 Z24 - DSP
CACC BC Region
Victoria Motorsports Club
Friday, July 08, 2005 7:12 PM
I'm torn right now, on the one hand, I could drop a lot of money into the car, and have a turbo'd cavy capable of 250whp and a killer suspension, but on the other hand it might be overkill and I would probably have as much fun building up the motor N/A to maybe 150-180whp and racing in whatever class I'm in.
Friday, July 08, 2005 11:55 PM
Pretty much soon as you touch the internals of the motor (cam, high comp. pistons) you're going to SM, so you might as well go balls to the wall and go turbo

1990 Z24 - DSP
CACC BC Region
Saturday, July 09, 2005 6:37 AM
play stock for awhile, learn how to drive an autocross then mod the heck out of the car.

AIRPLANE SHANE
Mazda Rev It Up Atlanta Champion '03
#118 H2 98 Honda Civic DX
http://teamlovely.shutterfly.com
89Z24 conv. island cruiser
Saturday, July 09, 2005 7:37 PM
Just curious, but how far can I go and still fit under the SP (Street Prepared) class? I will eventually want to build the car right to the edge without getting out of SP. What can I do to the engine (I already have a good idea about the suspension)? Thanks.
Sunday, July 10, 2005 4:21 PM
In Street Prepared you can do anything to the car that doesn't reduce weight and the engine has to pretty much remain stock except for the air intake.

Sunday, July 10, 2005 9:24 PM
I've been playing around with excel and making a build sheet of stuff I want. Anything here that isn't allowed? (Performance only)

AEM CAI, Upper/Lower Engine Mount, Pacesetter 4-2-1 header, catback exhaust (with possible high flow cat), power pulley kit (crank/alternator) from CavalierConnection, and a grounding kit.

Also, just curious, but has anyone run into any problems with the stock oil pan during hard turning?
Monday, July 11, 2005 9:24 AM
All that stuff is ok in SP.

As far as the oil pan goes, it would be nice to have a windage tray, but I have never personally run into problems, and I have an analog oil pressure gauge to keep an eye on the pressure (yeah 2nd gen dash!)

1990 Z24 - DSP
CACC BC Region
Monday, July 11, 2005 5:10 PM
I never have a problem with oil pressure while racing either and I'm also using an analog gauge. The way the 2200 oil pan is shaped, you really don't need any baffles.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search