Shift light question - where to set it - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Shift light question - where to set it
Thursday, July 21, 2005 12:16 PM
My girlfriend, who is awesome, just bought me an adjustable shift light.

Now my question, is that my redline I believe, is at 6300.

Where should the shift light be set to light up at?

I'd like to take into account, the power band, and the 1 second (plus or minus) it would take to shift.

I know it's JUST a Cavalier, and I'm sorry if I hurt your ego.

Re: Shift light question - where to set it
Thursday, July 21, 2005 12:39 PM
I think I set mine at around 5900 (taking into consideration reaction time)

Thursday, July 21, 2005 12:41 PM
how fast can you shift? i set mine at 6000 and shifting really fast (which hurts me sometimes) i get the shift at about 6150-6200. and i react to that light almost instantly...ask anyone who watches me

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Thursday, July 21, 2005 1:00 PM
I'm not sure how to time how fast I actually shift.....

But I'd imagine it's fast and hard.. I've shifted into 2nd and 3rd so hard the drivetrain feels like it's loose (which is why motor mounts are coming soon)

I know it's JUST a Cavalier, and I'm sorry if I hurt your ego.
Thursday, July 21, 2005 7:59 PM
Well first as for power band, you would have to dyno, to know where your peak is. At the same time if you shift as close to redline as possible, when you shift, you will stay in your power band.

I have a 6200 chip in mine. Rev limiter is 6400, or 6425 (not sure there. I once tried a 6300 chip a long time ago, but could not shift fast enough all the time. So I run the 6200, but when it comes on I wait about a second or so before actually shifting (because know I can shift really fast). I have been told by many that my shifting is the key to my times. I want to try another 6300 chip, but no longer have it. I would recommend either 6100, or 6200.

FU Tuning

Sunday, July 31, 2005 12:23 AM
well first, if u have a stock car the car loses power after like 4700 or 4800 hundred i think. that is when hp is maxed. all u do is lose speed after that. when u do upgrades, up the shift point alittle at a time. it does no good to run ur engine higher and higher if all you do is lose hp. i would shift alittle past 5 or at 5 to keep the rpms up so ur car doesnt bog in the next gear.
Sunday, July 31, 2005 7:11 AM
^ sigh. You are clueless. The people who have postes in this thread HAVE BEEN RACING CAVALIER FOR A LONG TIME AND KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT!!! AND YES...I'AM YELLING!!!!!

Dont post about stuff that you know nothing about...mkay.

And after thinking about it...mine WAS set at 6000-6100...not 5900. (Pro-form adjustable shift lights are hard to get as the setting is ot very accurate. I hade it set at 5900...but the light would come on at 6100 ish.)

Monday, August 01, 2005 2:26 PM
sean minnis wrote:well first, if u have a stock car the car loses power after like 4700 or 4800 hundred i think. that is when hp is maxed. all u do is lose speed after that. when u do upgrades, up the shift point alittle at a time. it does no good to run ur engine higher and higher if all you do is lose hp. i would shift alittle past 5 or at 5 to keep the rpms up so ur car doesnt bog in the next gear.

Dude do you know what your talking about???
You know what i will take a stock can against your modded one (if it is) You shift like you just said and I will beat you!!!
You might be right about power dropping off, but when you shift so does the RPM's, you want to keep them in the power curve.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search