Discuss Launch Techniques (1/8 & 1/4 mile) - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Discuss Launch Techniques (1/8 & 1/4 mile)
Saturday, July 09, 2005 7:01 PM
Well this Tuesday, July 12th, will be my first time at the track.

Assuming I can replace my passenger side front wheel bearing and have my alignment done in time.....

I was hoping to learn a few decent tips for launching, and figured while we were at it, anyone else that needed help could chime in and ask questions pertaining to their specific set up.

Anyways, I have a 2001 Z24, 5 speed, Battery in the spare tire well, stock suspension, no motor mounts, and Douglas GT-H tires. Not the best tire, I know, but when your inspection is due, and you need tires to pass, and have like zero cash, you buy whatever you can afford. I'm sure we can all relate.

I'll be running the 1/8th mile, the 1/4 mile track here is a good 45 minutes away, the 1/8th mile is oh.. about 10 minutes away

I've been told the staging lanes have a slight slope (might roll backwards out of the lane) and I'd have to either heel-toe it (which I haven't mastered yet), or use my e-brake.

I'm not looking to run 6's here lol... I'm merely looking for advice so I don't look like a complete n00b, even though Tuesdays are for n00bs

Any tips as far as tire pressure, how much gas in my tank (I should be doing around 10-20 passes, depending on how far I can advance) ?

And I'm sure there's a lot more I've missed...

But anyways, thanks in advance!

Oh, and the car has brand spankin new 95-99 Front upper strut mounts!

I know it's JUST a Cavalier, and I'm sorry if I hurt your ego.

Re: Discuss Launch Techniques (1/8 & 1/4 mile)
Tuesday, July 12, 2005 8:25 AM
normally 1/4 is suggested for amount in the tank i think,

some people drop down to 20 psi in the tires.

http://www.aplusperformance.com
http://www.modified-motorsports.com
Tuesday, July 12, 2005 9:43 AM
if your going to drive it home you should keep the PSI around 25, 1/4 tank of gas, and use the clutch a little dont just dump it.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 11:20 AM
Well since this is your first time, you will have to just get use to what you have to do. Which is stage correctly, and drive the car down the track straight. After that start playing with tire pressure and dumping or slipping the clutch. Some people will say do not dump the clutch, slip it. I say you have to find what works for you. For me I dump it. Slipping it wears it more. I would say start tire pressure at 28psi, and see how it does and adjust from there. Most tracks have air there to put back in. Go around the water box, but do a very small burn out to clean the tires off. If you get wheel hop let off the gas. Don;t want to break anything.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 10:45 AM
Thanks for the help!

I posted my times from the track here: http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=48&i=12469&t=12469

I was feathering the clutch at first, and then slowly began dumping it with more and more power, trying to find a perfect medium.

The track was VERY VERY sticky, The only tire spin I had was a little little bit on like 2 of my launches, and a minor chirp into 2nd.

Next chance I get to head up there, I plan to be even more agressive. As my car sits right now, I SHOULD be able to hit low 10's.

I had a best time of 10.90, if I can knock half a second off of that, I'll be well on my way

I was running street tires, at street pressure (Nitrogen filled tires)

Short ram intake (I need colder air)

Pump gas (93 Octane)

Brand new front struts, strut mounts, and 2 brand new wheel bearings. All OEM.

My priority now is working on my 60ft. times, reaction time, and getting colder air into my engine.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 11:21 AM
If the track was that sticky then you need to luanch harder. I think you might get like a 10.7 with practice, but not low 10's.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 7:13 PM
in my g/fs stock 01 2200 sunfire and with Z24 wheels with kuhmo supra tires at 20PSI hott i ran a 10.5 and my 60 ft was 2.299 now this was at a 1/8 mile track

Simply Jewish!! bitch from coast to coast nothing works lol
Wednesday, July 13, 2005 7:14 PM
i was launching around 5500/5700 RPMs and huking up real good as u see in my 60FT times and her car is stock

Simply Jewish!! bitch from coast to coast nothing works lol
Wednesday, July 13, 2005 8:12 PM
John Higgins wrote:If the track was that sticky then you need to luanch harder. I think you might get like a 10.7 with practice, but not low 10's.

I'm confident I can do 10.5 or better as the car sits right now.

With a few minor adjustments to get some colder air, I can do low 10's.

It was 94 degrees out and VERY VERY VERY Humid.

Not the best night to race.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 7:04 AM
z24challenge wrote:
John Higgins wrote:If the track was that sticky then you need to luanch harder. I think you might get like a 10.7 with practice, but not low 10's.

See the problem is your a new person to this and already you think this and this will drop you soo much more. You will learn yes it will help, not as much as you think.

FU Tuning

Thursday, July 14, 2005 7:24 PM
John Higgins wrote:
z24challenge wrote:

See the problem is your a new person to this and already you think this and this will drop you soo much more. You will learn yes it will help, not as much as you think.

If my schedule with work works out, I'll be off every Tuesday the entire season, so.. with that in mind, we shall see what happens This coming Tuesday!

Friday, July 15, 2005 2:39 AM
best i ran in my cavy John was in the 10.2 area, i was stock at the time. he should be capable of the same since he is a 5spd 2.4 and a 2door. i havnt been to the track since i got my intake and exhaust. but, yah you shouldnt have issues hitting a 10.2 or 10.3. well, depending on the track conditions, tire pressure, weather conditions, and what you launch and shift at, and the weight of the vehicle with you in it.

"God invented turbo lag to give V8's a chance"
Thursday, July 21, 2005 11:38 AM
I managed to launch as high as 3500, and had a little wheel hop and spin, which killed me this past Tuesday, and eliminated me.

This was running stock tire pressure, so next week I plan to lower it about 5-10psi and see how things go then.

I've also been running with a passenger, which I'm sure is consuming .2 of my times as well, so without a passenger, I'd be running 10.5's, which is still a little high.

I run with no door panels (being sanded and painted), full interior otherwise.

No spare, no jack etc..

Thursday, July 21, 2005 9:59 PM
kick the passenger out and take out their seat, and those rear seats way a good bit, especially the back of the seat

2007 GM Tuner Bash...HELL YEA
PA,MD,NJ,DE,NY and all states north caravan
Sunday, July 24, 2005 7:05 PM
z24challenge wrote:I managed to launch as high as 3500, and had a little wheel hop and spin, which killed me this past Tuesday, and eliminated me.

This was running stock tire pressure, so next week I plan to lower it about 5-10psi and see how things go then.

I've also been running with a passenger, which I'm sure is consuming .2 of my times as well, so without a passenger, I'd be running 10.5's, which is still a little high.

I run with no door panels (being sanded and painted), full interior otherwise.

No spare, no jack etc..
with stock RSA's i air them down to 18-20 hot tire pressure. and launch around 4000-4300rpm i dont dump the clutch i just let it out.

see ya!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search