how to launch with an automatic tranny? - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
how to launch with an automatic tranny?
Sunday, July 31, 2005 8:23 PM
just curious what you guys do at the start of a race...

I've tried a few things ... like keeping the car in drive, and holding the brake pedal with 1 foot, and the gas with the other ... but there's some kind of limiter that doesn't allow RPM's to go past like 2.5/3k RPMs or something like that..

I've tried putting it in nuetral, reving to around 5k, and dropping it into drive ... this seems to get the best results... but i'm pretty sure this abuses the hell out of the tranny, and will inevitably do damage ..... another down side with this, is that i have to "pump" the gas pedal and keep it around 5k, and let off the gas before i throw it in drive, because i guess there's some kind of failsafe mechanism that cuts off the engine momentarily... it's kinda like the same effect you get when you go past 108mph, and the engine cuts off momentarily..

thanks for any pointers to improve my times

Re: how to launch with an automatic tranny?
Sunday, July 31, 2005 8:35 PM
oh bye the way, it's an 04 cav ... forgot to mention that.
Monday, August 01, 2005 4:41 AM
Quote:

I've tried putting it in nuetral, reving to around 5k, and dropping it into drive

DO NOT ever do this, it is the worse thing for a transmission...unless of course you wanna spend a couple grand replacing it.

For an auto do like you first said MASH the brake rev the gas to about 3K and let go of the brake. It saves your tranny and should have a decent launch.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Monday, August 01, 2005 10:44 AM
Jbody2nr wrote:
Quote:

I've tried putting it in nuetral, reving to around 5k, and dropping it into drive

DO NOT ever do this, it is the worse thing for a transmission...unless of course you wanna spend a couple grand replacing it.

For an auto do like you first said MASH the brake rev the gas to about 3K and let go of the brake. It saves your tranny and should have a decent launch.

Never works for me, i get tooo much traction.

Damn performance tires.

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true."
Monday, August 01, 2005 11:00 AM
Tuesday, August 02, 2005 5:29 PM
In my fiance's car, we just put one foot on the brake, and rev to like 3 grand. When the light changes, lift off the brake and jam the gas. With this technique, she ran a 16.0 with just an intake.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 5:57 PM
[M wrote:ATTRESS]

I've tried putting it in nuetral, reving to around 5k, and dropping it into drive ... this seems to get the best results...

OMG, you're awsome! Thats the best thing i've read in a long time, lol. If you're ever willing to do this again PLEASE video tape it.

5000rpm nuetral drops will sureing break something if you continue to do them.

The best way to launch your auto is to do just like you said in the begining of your original post. Hold the brakes down hard, floor the gas pedal, when the engine rpm reaches its max stall speed you're ready to go release the brakes and go go go! This is called a brake torque. The max engine speed you can achieve doing a brake torque is limited by your torque converter stall speed. If you wish to be able to launch the car at a higher rpm you will need a custom torque converter with a higher stall speed.

Another good idea would be to do this with the trans shifted into 1st or 2nd, by doing so it will disable the ETS (electronic traction system).

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 9:28 AM
I just hold my ebrake up a hair and it turns off tc. Then just smash the gas. I run 15.7s with pretty much a stock car.

"Fu'k displacement, I'd rather be blown."
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search