Current Good tires for STS autcross on J's - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Current Good tires for STS autcross on J's
Thursday, September 01, 2005 1:27 PM
I took a hiatis from autocross last year, in persuit of playing paintball for a while. In the end autcross is actually cheaper if you believe it or not.

Anywho I'll be running my sunfire in STS trim next year.

My question is what are the current good tires for sts. I'm looking at 15x7'' Kosei K1's for rims, or possibly some SSR Comps if I can track some down for a good price.

My only requirement is a minumum treadwidth of 225, more grip is better profile is up for discussion.

Any sugesstions for tires in that size range are appreciated.

-Chris

Re: Current Good tires for STS autcross on J's
Thursday, September 01, 2005 1:32 PM
Falken Azenis Sports. There's a new version out the I haven't heard anything about though. Yok or Toyo A032R (that's going off of memory though)

Are victo racers legal in STS?

Thursday, September 01, 2005 3:18 PM
not familiar with autox classes. is sts a tire class (stock sizes only), or does anything go, including r-comp tires? what's up?
you can find some nice, fairly sticky tires in 225/50-15. check out tirerack, edgeracing.com and vulcantire.com & onlinetires.com
azenis rt-615 are supposed to be pretty good according to many miata owners. they're also lighter than the rt-215, which is a nice perk. not sure if either is available in a good size for you, though.
also take a peek at the toyo t1-r, which replaces the t1-s. supposedly a great street tire, though i've yet to read or hear anything about how they do when cone-dodging.

Have you seen the turbo wagon?

14.069 @ 98.91mph
229.1hp & 261.7ft/lbs @ 6psi
no tuning time
Thursday, September 01, 2005 5:33 PM
autocross is most def cheaper than paintball
i hate it when fields rape you for paint costs

Thursday, September 01, 2005 6:25 PM
victoracers are not allowed in STS, they are an R compound. street tires only and no you dont have to stick with stock sizes.

Azenis- they tend to get greasy when hot/ good rain when full tread
Kumho MX's - they like heat
Kumho 712 - decent dry /good rain

Ive ran all those listed above. I currently run the Kumho 710's. i like those better than the Hoosiers i think.

AIRPLANE SHANE
Mazda Rev It Up Atlanta Champion '03
#118 H2 98 Honda Civic DX
http://teamlovely.shutterfly.com
89Z24 conv. island cruiser
Thursday, September 01, 2005 6:29 PM
Shane! Come back to Jax for a race sometime.

Thursday, September 01, 2005 11:30 PM
Grassroots motorsports did a street and race tire shootout in their lastest issue. The street tires ranked as follows:
1. Falken Azenis RT-615
2. Falken Azenis RT-215 (good luck finding any though since they are out of production)
3. Yokohama Advan Neova
4. Hankook R-S2
5. Kumho MX
6. BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD

The top R-comp was the Kumho V710...I know I love mine

CACC BC Region - DSP
http:www.victoriamotorsports.ca
Friday, September 02, 2005 6:13 AM
oldskoolz thats exactly what I was looking for!

and for jux.

STS requires a minimum treadwear of 140 and I think a maximum tread width of 225, I think they were trying to get it out to235, but I'm not sure

I like 15'a' rims because I can run a smaller tire than stock and leverage the extra torque, on corner exit. Also there are usually a good selection of tires in that size range. Anyone know a good place to pick up some of those falkens. discounttiredirect.com doesn't seem to carry a very big selection of those sizes.

But I've also heard pretty good things about the hankooks

-Chris

Friday, September 02, 2005 6:55 AM
FYI the new falken Azenis RT-615 WILL be available in a size of 225/50R15, so that's what I'll be running next year.

Also are there any other people hear who run in the DC or pittsburg SCCA regions?

lemme know and we can show what the J's can do

-Chris

Friday, September 02, 2005 10:13 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I'm running the 15x7" Kosei K1's with my V710's. The rim is good choice for a decently priced, lightweight rim, and its reasonably strong too. I struck a curb after a spin at an auto-x earlier in the year and got away with just some nasty curb rash, it didn't bend or crack. I want SSR's as well but they're just too much $$$$

Good to know the Azenis are going to be released in 225/50-15 if I decide to go back to a street tire class

CACC BC Region - DSP
http:www.victoriamotorsports.ca
Friday, September 02, 2005 5:22 PM
mmmm...rt-615 in 225/50-15! i'm so there once i burn through these ziex 512s!

rumour has it that the ssr comps are fragile in the lip area. be cautious with 'em.

i got my rt-215s from edgeracing.com, as that was the only place i could find with 'em in stock in my size (195/60-14 for the miata).
you might check there for availability in other sizes.

Have you seen the turbo wagon?

14.069 @ 98.91mph
229.1hp & 261.7ft/lbs @ 6psi
no tuning time

Friday, September 02, 2005 9:52 PM
im in hte susquehanna region, its between the burgh and DC, in the harrisburg area

Sunday, September 04, 2005 12:17 AM
i would like to run the new kooks in a 15 next year

see ya!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search