J-bodies for lapping/solo - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
J-bodies for lapping/solo
Thursday, September 01, 2005 7:27 PM
Are j-bodies any good on the lapping track? I only see civics/miatas/subarus/integras/golfs/etc... but there's not a single j-body on the track near me. Is it because the car structure is not good enough for track or can I have fun there with my Cavalier if I change the brakes/tires?

Re: J-bodies for lapping/solo
Thursday, September 01, 2005 8:51 PM
not sure what a lapping track is, but i autocross wiht my cavy, and its loads of fun
i ran with my stock brakes tires, well new ones, but not performance
i would recommend trying it out first then if you like it getting some better brakes and tires and whatnot
but its tons o fun, especially when u beat ppl in vettes and whatnot, and they're all like "wtf?! , hes drivin a cavalier and just handed my arse to me!!"

Thursday, September 01, 2005 9:48 PM
Well, lapping as in:

I'm pretty much sure its different from AutoX.
Friday, September 02, 2005 6:15 AM

I have done 25 or more lapping days in the last 5 years with my Z24, it's not bad but alot of people will say @!#$ about the brakes,suspension,etc. I would say the car is as good as most cars youve seen on the track near you, with a good set of tires the car will handle quite well. As for brakes I use to allways go with GM pads but if the track your at doesn't have many areas while on track for the brakes to come down in temprature they are not going to last long. I went to Dunnville a couple weeks ago and just totally killed the pads and that was about 10-15 minutes on track, mind you I was running R-compound tires and pushing the car really hard during that time (also the track is deadly for brakes aswell) When I run at Shannonville the brakes while get hot but I will still have lots of bite. As for the suspension there is lots of things you can do, I run KYB AGX's and used Eibach Pro-kit springs and the car now handles well.

Ryan Butchart 1 man, 1 car, 1 lap at a time.

Friday, September 02, 2005 6:52 AM

Oh and is that Sanair where those pics were taken? I was up at the PMG place for a Ontario regional event with the Ottawa morotsports club(or MCO) and CADL that was an impressive place to run at, 18 football feilds of perfect ashphalt, zero drains,zero light standards,etc the security was was around all the time though.

Friday, September 02, 2005 10:05 PM
Thanks for the advices.

As for the pics above, I dont know where they were taken. Maybe at Sanair, or Autodrome St-Eustache.

And I live 5 mins away from PMG and yes it's an impressive track.
Sunday, September 04, 2005 12:20 AM
soloZ wrote:I have done 25 or more lapping days in the last 5 years with my Z24, it's not bad but alot of people will say @!#$ about the brakes,suspension,etc. I would say the car is as good as most cars youve seen on the track near you, with a good set of tires the car will handle quite well. As for brakes I use to allways go with GM pads but if the track your at doesn't have many areas while on track for the brakes to come down in temprature they are not going to last long. I went to Dunnville a couple weeks ago and just totally killed the pads and that was about 10-15 minutes on track, mind you I was running R-compound tires and pushing the car really hard during that time (also the track is deadly for brakes aswell) When I run at Shannonville the brakes while get hot but I will still have lots of bite. As for the suspension there is lots of things you can do, I run KYB AGX's and used Eibach Pro-kit springs and the car now handles well.
do you run with a front bar?

see ya!

Sunday, September 04, 2005 7:22 PM

I've never had trouble with turn in stock or now slightly modified street tire or R compounds so I have never thought about it, do you?

Monday, September 05, 2005 4:18 PM
I don't see any reason why you couldn't have some fun in your cavalier. I wish we had lapping days like that near me.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 2:36 PM
Zach wrote:I I wish we had lapping days like that near me.

Gainsville Road Course has lapping days as far as i know. They also hold the Solo1(Time Trails) there too. Next time you are at the Jax Auto-X ,, Ask Gary Mease he drives the Red turbo miata in SM2, he knows another track near Jax that does lapping Days. You can always come up to Roebling and do A SeatTime event. http://www.seat-time.com

You are getting the Roll Bar in, you can come run FSP at the Solo

AIRPLANE SHANE
Mazda Rev It Up Atlanta Champion '03
#118 H2 98 Honda Civic DX
http://teamlovely.shutterfly.com
89Z24 conv. island cruiser
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search