rpm limiter - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
rpm limiter
Thursday, September 08, 2005 9:04 PM
can you get this moved up higher or taken off?

Re: rpm limiter
Thursday, September 08, 2005 9:45 PM
omg, this is gettin locked

Thursday, September 08, 2005 9:51 PM
why is it getting locked? i see it as a decent question...

The First Twin Charged jbody
blue car (R.I.P) - 240whp @7psi..
silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
All dynos run on a Mustang dyno
Friday, September 09, 2005 5:01 AM
no

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Friday, September 09, 2005 8:30 AM
You're going to need some sort of aftermarket engine management system if you want to raise or eliminate it.

You're also going to need some serious mods in order to actually get any sort of advantage from this. Our engines are already dropping off power as they approach the limiter so you're better off shifting to the next gear than just continuing to rev higher.

Friday, September 09, 2005 12:37 PM
LiquidFireCavy (mdk) wrote:omg, this is gettin locked

He not talking about the governor.......

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Friday, September 09, 2005 6:50 PM
Sheldon O'Neill wrote:rpm limiter

Is there for a reason.

No you cant change it unless you get the computer reprogramed or a new engine manegement system.

1971 camaro 427 --- here!

Stock... and loving every minute of it.
Wednesday, September 21, 2005 8:29 PM
yes i just had my engine overhauled.and replaced the cam,and now i need more rpm
Wednesday, September 21, 2005 8:31 PM
does anyone know of a program to get this done,and where to purchase it?
Monday, September 26, 2005 5:36 PM
megasquirt... cheap, and it can tune itself using a wideband.... (google it, then start reading) then you can use an MSD ignition to provide a much safer spark-based limiter as opposed to the fuel cut the stock computer uses.

I'd be really concerned about revving the crap out of a 2.4, without upgrading the oil pump and rod bearings (even stock the 2.4 has a known problem with the #3 bearing, higher revs would very likely agitate this further).

Also, how high are you looking to rev? What's the powerband of the cams? Depending on how high you're looking at you may need to overhaul the rest of the valvetrain with stiffer springs and stronger retainers. To get the most out of more revs, you'd really be better off picking up a junkyard motor and doing a full build... balance the rotating assembly, do the other mods i mentioned, port the head, higher compression pistons, etc.

The last thing you'd want to do is raise the rev limit and then float a valve and totally lunch your head and engine.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 4:01 AM
i did a full build.bottom and top and threw outthe under hood area i have a 2200.the cam is suppose to make power up to 6900.

Thursday, September 29, 2005 11:33 AM
hypertech now makes a programmer for our cars too bad it is so f@#$in expensive
Thursday, September 29, 2005 11:34 AM
that is one way to fix what you r asking
Friday, September 30, 2005 11:40 AM
i had look into the hypertech .they have one on the market now but it is not available, or been produced yet.every time you try to order it ,it is back ordered.so the parts guy called up and they said that it was not released yet.
Friday, September 30, 2005 6:23 PM
that sucks i was hoping a shop would have one to raise my gov. oh well
Tuesday, October 04, 2005 1:08 PM
how safe can an eco rev i wonder

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Thursday, October 13, 2005 5:20 AM
Rodimus Prime wrote:how safe can an eco rev i wonder

i dunno. do it, find out and then post the results

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Thursday, October 13, 2005 11:25 AM
^^^lol you say funny stuff sometimes. so we should rev to 7500 rpms, then we blow the engine, then we come on here and tell everyone the limit and we are out an engine.

where are those funny images with a dork saying "good plan, batman" or something like that

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
Sunday, October 16, 2005 6:57 PM
im not an auto genuis so please forgive me.....but doesnt the msd dis-2 ignition have a rev limiter on it that u might be able to use? www.prostreetonline.com or msdigniton.com like i said im not an auto guru ---> im just responding to this posting

haha
Monday, October 17, 2005 7:41 PM
The MSD DIS-2 does have a spark based rev limited, but it will have to be set lower than the fuel cut-off in the ECU, or it won't do any good.

Racing prepped Ecotecs will rev to over 10,000rpm, but I'm not about to try that with a stock one.

I would, however, be interested to know what a mildly prepped eco would rev to. Let's say decent rods, pistons, cams, and valve springs. Any guesses?

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 2:12 PM
Can't you get your comp chip reflashed to get rid of the governor, or have someone take it out...J-tuners.com sells something that will rework you ecu..its like $800.... Or maybe it does something else

Sunday, November 13, 2005 8:40 AM
the higher the rev the less power your going to make... take hondas for example they rev high but stock they dont make to much power.. thats why bone stock 2.4 may rev 5800 or 6100 but it makes much more power...people think cuz you rev higher your going to go faster thats not really true maybe on the high way but not where it counts.. my brother has a GSR it started losing power once it got near 7k he still had 1200 to go so its no good. i can see if your a track racer and your hitting rev before the end of the track but its gonna be hard to hit 109 unless your make 300+ hp

speed kills, drive slow, drive a honda

You are what you Drive!
Sunday, November 13, 2005 3:06 PM
5SPD Z wrote:the higher the rev the less power your going to make... take hondas for example they rev high but stock they dont make to much power..

WTH ? so a type r doesn't make much power because it revs to 9000 rpm hmmm ? What are ya smoking ? I guess F1 cars don't make much power since they rev upwards of 15k rpm hmm ?

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
Sunday, November 13, 2005 9:17 PM
DanteMustDie wrote:
5SPD Z wrote:the higher the rev the less power your going to make... take hondas for example they rev high but stock they dont make to much power..

WTH ? so a type r doesn't make much power because it revs to 9000 rpm hmmm ? What are ya smoking ? I guess F1 cars don't make much power since they rev upwards of 15k rpm hmm ?

I think you guys are looking at this a bit wrong the speed of the egine is only gonna make power if its there. there are benifts to haveing a High reving car IE longer power band and plenty of spooling fun for turbos.

but if you power band makes good power from 4500 to 7000 then you arent gonna make power at 9000 RPM.

So yes a jbody will make less power at 7000 but is it more then shifting and droping revs. thats what matters

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Monday, November 14, 2005 1:29 AM
Quote:

but is it more then shifting and droping revs. thats what matters

This is exactly correct. But only when you're not doing harm to the engine. The best way to drive an indestructible engine would be to shift right where the torque in the next gear would be higher than the gear you're in now, no matter what rpm that would be. But since we have things like piston speed limits and valve floatation, we can't do this.. So shift at redline and be happy that almost everyone else has to do the same.. If you have a built engine to handle the revs, thats another story, but if you did, you wouldn't have read this far because you'd know all this..

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search