To all autoxers/road course racers - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
To all autoxers/road course racers
Saturday, September 17, 2005 12:27 PM
Just a couple questions for the autoxer verterans or road course racers. Do J's ever have problems with overheating oil or transmission temps out on the track? Also, are any of you guys downright competitive within your respective classes? And do any of you head out on street tires, or do you switch up at the track?
Thanks.

"If you aren't shifting, then you certainly aren't driving!"

Re: To all autoxers/road course racers
Saturday, September 17, 2005 4:01 PM
i used street tires when i went
no probs with overheating oil, my temp went up a lil durin my runs but i just leff my hood open inbetween runs and it was fine
last event, also my first, i was 1 spot out of trophy, there were 5 given, i got 6th
where ya from, theres an autox event in lancaster, pa next weekend, ill def be there
its a great time

Saturday, September 17, 2005 6:20 PM
You'll probably have to worry about your brakes overheating long before your oil or tranny. I've never had any issues in that respect.

I run race tires, but if you have decent street tires you can still have a good time. I ran street tires the first few years I auto-x'ed, and being competitive at the local level has much more to do with the driver than the car

CACC BC Region - DSP
http:www.victoriamotorsports.ca
Saturday, September 17, 2005 8:51 PM
silvercav02 wrote:Just a couple questions for the autoxer verterans or road course racers. Do J's ever have problems with overheating oil or transmission temps out on the track? Also, are any of you guys downright competitive within your respective classes? And do any of you head out on street tires, or do you switch up at the track?
Thanks.

My first three years were on street tires autox/track it was the best way to learn and it's wasn't costing me axtra money or time. The last year or two I have been classed in DSS(Ontario Regional "CANADA" classes and rules) and this year I am leading in points and tomorrow is the last event.

Depending on the track I would normally only get a little bit of a soft pedal but the more I would push the brake pedal I would get more brakes, a couple weeks ago I went to a track with about four somewhat long straights with 90* corners on them. The stock GM pads that I have used at all the tracks I have been on in Ontario were way over heated on other tracks the brakes are fine. As for the other parts of the car I have never had any over heating problems and everything else worked like it should.

Oh and after the first couple of year of runnin on RSA's!! I finally decided to buy R compounds, so now everywhere I go to race I bring the R's.

Ryan Butchart 1 man, 1 car, 1 lap at a time.

Sunday, September 18, 2005 7:59 PM
I kept cooking my wheel bearings (well, only the Timken brand ones). Other than that, no issues. My opinion is that the eoctec's and 2.4's are somewhat competitive, but the 2.2's are not.

Also, in local events, it not only depends on your skills, but also on the people and cars competing in your class. I don't believe a j-body has ever placed in nationals though(which would indicate that the car is not the best car in its class).

Monday, September 19, 2005 6:14 AM
Locally the J-body is pretty competitive in Stock class, I don't think there has ever been one at nationals, because autoxfool keeps driving MR2's whenever he goes to them I think

I'm prepping my car for STS next year. Kosei K1 15x7 Rims should be here in a week or 2. and Q4 of this year Falken is supposed to be releasing a 225/50R15 615.

Then I gotta get my coilovers, and if there's enough money left over, some new suspension bushings, and a header.

On a second note. A lot of the guys out there are out there just to have fun. There is competition, but you'll learn a lot about your car, some of which you can apply in daily driving, and some you should leave to the track/autox course. SO show up, paint some numbers on your windows. I reccomend glass chalk (you can get at wal-mart. Painters tape works really well too, for regions that require numbers on the doors and at solo2 legal sizes (8'' tall for number) (4'' tall for class).

Older 2.2's compete in HS, newer Ecotecs and Z24's are in GS, but it looks like they may move to HS next year, making them a lot more competitive.

Or if your mod crazy like a lot of us there's STS(street tires), and DSP(like STS, but allows R-compounds and some other goodies). Keep in mind that any internal engine modifications will automatically put you into Street Mod, a class that literally is all about how much money you can dump into an engine.

-Chris

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 6:43 AM
IamRascal wrote:Locally the J-body is pretty competitive in Stock class, I don't think there has ever been one at nationals, because autoxfool keeps driving MR2's whenever he goes to them I think

hahahha! I raced the MR2 for less than a season, and I've never been to Nationals (though I had planned on this year....but you know my life....more @!#$ than an outhouse always happens to me.) But as far as J-Body's go, I don't think one has even been to Nationals in any class.

When I ran my Crapalier in STS, I was competitive against most of my competition (and I even ran PRO class in Detroit...had I ran regular ole STS...I would've won the class season championship), usually placing very well and sometimes winning, but the well prepped 89 Si's are just too developed right now to catch up too, though I did beat a co-driven one to win STS at the Cincy CenDiv in '04 that had beaten me just weeks before at the Columbus CenDiv.

I'm hoping when life calms down for next season (please!), I will be able to prep the Cav to where I think I may be able to give the Si's a run for their money, but that's yet to be seen. I still REALLY want to run the Crapalier at Nationals....and I will NOT be DFL!!! Bonus point, Nationals as of next year will be running on asphalt...something I seem to run better on than concrete.

To answer the original questions of the thread.....I have a fan override switch that I almost always turn on after a run. Not that I have overheating problems, but it runs better cooler. Never had an issue with the tranny, though I think I'm due for a clutch (I've got 107K). And I usually switched tires at the event, from street tires to street tires. hehe

Lightweight honDuhs can kiss my fat Crapalier a$$
A new autoX ride for '08.....
Thursday, September 22, 2005 6:00 AM
autoxfool, what region are you in / Where are you located?

-Chris

Thursday, September 22, 2005 6:16 AM
IamRascal wrote:autoxfool, what region are you in / Where are you located?
detroit. i read some were that the Z24's are being moved from G stock to H stock and from DSP to FSP

see ya!

Thursday, September 22, 2005 6:55 AM
If they do that, where are they going to move my 2.2? Jesus, I'm 30hp under the Z-24...

Thursday, September 22, 2005 10:04 AM
novaracer wrote:
IamRascal wrote:autoxfool, what region are you in / Where are you located?
detroit. i read some were that the Z24's are being moved from G stock to H stock and from DSP to FSP

Hmmmm...a move to FSP would be interesting...of course that would be mean competing against 1800lb VW's and Civic's

CACC BC Region - DSP
http:www.victoriamotorsports.ca

Thursday, September 22, 2005 2:13 PM
Well I am going to autox this Sunday!!!
Any suggestions or feedback would be great. I believe my class is STS right? Also, I plan to up tire pressure about 5psi and set all my dampers to full hard. I am debating as to take the spare out since it could help get the tail end around. Or take it out to save weight? Ahhh decisions. Any other feedback would be great.

Thursday, September 22, 2005 4:23 PM
If it is your first race, run novice class. Get as many rides with people as you can and have an instructor ride with you as well.

Take your spare out. If you are running stock tires, I used about 43 psi front and like 48 in the rear (on stock suspensoin though). I would start at 40/45 and see if what happens. Chalk the sides and watch where your tire is wearing.

Thursday, September 22, 2005 4:58 PM
also remove your floor mats and any other stuff. you don't want stuff rolling around in there. they will make for remove it. so if you don't need it leave it at home.

Thursday, September 22, 2005 9:20 PM
Wow over 40psi? I was planning to only run about 5 extra or so. Yeah I do have Tokico d specs so I can adjust if I want. But, I didn't think there was a novice class. I just planned to start slow in the STS and work up from there. Anyone know a way to get rid of some understeer? I have a feeling I'll be wanting RWD by then end of Sunday afternoon....

Thursday, September 22, 2005 9:54 PM
silvercav02 wrote:Wow over 40psi? I was planning to only run about 5 extra or so. Yeah I do have Tokico d specs so I can adjust if I want. But, I didn't think there was a novice class. I just planned to start slow in the STS and work up from there. Anyone know a way to get rid of some understeer? I have a feeling I'll be wanting RWD by then end of Sunday afternoon....
yes you will need to be around 43-45 in the front. and around 45-49 in the rear. you have adjustable struts if i were you i would try to be in the middle of the adjustments in the front and near the hard point in the rear and just drive. worry about staying on course and putting the car where it needs to be. then you can start tuning the struts and tire pressures to dial out some under-steer. where are you located? because we have a event at the silverdome ,MI Sunday. i will be there along with autoxfool and airtronics and cavfan1. i am leaving people out but i cant remember their names off the top of my head.
anyway remember to have fun! slow in fast out!

see ya!

Friday, September 23, 2005 1:00 AM
yea where r u from
i have an event sunday in PA, but i dont htink any other jbo members are racing, tho im sure some will be there watchin

Friday, September 23, 2005 4:25 AM
I have found that understeer is actually worse if I leave the front much softer than the rear. I would run full stiff all the way around. Run your rear tire pressures high if you have a problem with understeer.

Friday, September 23, 2005 7:18 AM
2003 Sunfire. No overheating problems at all even with 20+runs at a test and tune

The fan will kick in if you turn if off and you've got some heat, so keep your fingers clear.

-Chris

Friday, September 23, 2005 2:10 PM
I live in Ft Wayne, Indiana. The race is being held at Kruse Auction Park in Auburn, IN. And to my knowledge there are no J's going besides myself. Thanks for all the info guys and I hope I do well. There will be another event at the same location sometime in Mid October if anyone is interested.

Friday, September 23, 2005 9:48 PM
silvercav02 wrote:I live in Ft Wayne, Indiana. The race is being held at Kruse Auction Park in Auburn, IN. And to my knowledge there are no J's going besides myself. Thanks for all the info guys and I hope I do well. There will be another event at the same location sometime in Mid October if anyone is interested.

That was actually the last place I've ever run my Cav, season ender last year. The site was waaaaaaaay too small and the course was lame due to the size of the course. I won't travel to race there again unless they actaully have the whole lot to use.

Lightweight honDuhs can kiss my fat Crapalier a$$
A new autoX ride for '08.....

Saturday, September 24, 2005 7:56 AM
Well that is too bad the course sucked. I thought they change them all the time. To my knowlege it wil be different, and yes that lot is larger than huge can describe. There will be another event in October. I will let you know how this setup turns out and see if the next one will be similar. I wouldn't mind having another J there to carry the flag!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search