Short Track Racers! I need HELP! - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Short Track Racers! I need HELP!
Sunday, July 24, 2005 6:01 AM
I race a '93 Cav on a .385 paved short track here in VA. Langley Speedway.
http://www.langley-speedway.com/ucar.asp
I'm the Pink # 9. It's a '93 5 speed 2.2 with an '94 roller motor 30 mm Z-24 front sway bar with a 19mm rear. Z-24 a/c right front spring with a VL non a/c left front. all poly bushing. Front bar is set at Neural. even spacer on both sides. Camber is -1.5 on the right +1.5 on left. Max allowed by are rules.
Over all the car handles great . But, coming of the coners I'm spining the left front half way down the front an back straitaways. The trans is a 5t40/mkIIV I think. Any help would be great. Thanks Michael

Michael Farmer
Hampton,VA

Re: Short Track Racers! I need HELP!
Sunday, July 24, 2005 8:57 AM
Do you have a posi installed?

Do you have a cage/roll bar in the car? How bad is it pushing off the corners once the LF starts spinning?

A cage or six point rollbar will stiffen the chassis torsionally and help keep the LF planted. 2nd gen chassis wind up/ twist pretty hard oval racing, then push off the corner becasue the RR is loaded so much.

IMHO 22mm OE or 1" Addco sway bar in the rear will help keep the LF planted off the corners better as well. With a larger rear bar you can easily control a loose entry with rear tire pressure.

BTW.... you can shave about 4 degress more camber in the tires and blow through tech, no worries.

Have someone take a video of your car and post it. I've stared at enough 2nd gen oval cars racing to have an idea of what's up.
Sunday, July 24, 2005 3:25 PM
My division rules only allow a 4 piont cage w/ 3 door bars on the left side. The only bracing allowed is inside the cage. The car is pretty stiff as it is. It's kind of funny if you put two floor jack on each side at the front part of the door the whole car comes up off the ground.

We run a class tire 185/60-14. All my tires are shaved by Mike Smith here in Va. Hands down the best any where.

Posi? Where can I get one?

I like to run the car loose because of the D shape of the track. two and three are tighter than one and four. Being loose makes exiting two and three faster.

The car picks up a mean push when I start spinning the left front. I can do one of two things. back off or snap the wheel a little to right and shift the weight over to the left and it'll grab the track.

Thanks Michael

Michael Farmer
Hampton,VA
Sunday, July 24, 2005 4:13 PM
Options for a posi are limited for a 2nd gen Izuzu tranny, but if you don't have one, get one. What a diference it makes when the LF pulls off the corner.

Call Phantom Grip direct and buy an X-treme unit ($349) for your trans. If not a base PG unit is better than not having one. Jegs sells them. If I recall correctly you need a 910 for that year cavy trans, but check.

http://www.phantomgrip.com/products.htm

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=137006&prmenbr=361

Put a bigger sway bar in the rear as well, that will help. Being tire limited, you need to be careful with making the front end too stiff, the front end will push on entry if you over do it.

For rear shocks, Affco makes a slightly shorter, but much stiffer on compression street stock shock for the rear. It's for a Mustang II, but will work on a 2nd gen. Use stock Cavy upper mounts, and just make a bushing for the lower eye that fits the 10mm bolt on a 2nd gen. If I recall correctly the Affco part number is 1043. I have them on my 89 S-bird that I converted from an oval car to a drag car.

Are your rear springs cut at all?

Our home track was D shaped, and loose on entry was good. I would just drive the other guys in deep, let them push up, square off the corner, and drive under them coming off. The posi and stiff rear really helped with that, especially at the sweeping entry and tight off end of the track.

Get the posi and rear stiffened up, then you can work on the RF spring rate via a Moog catalog. The front sway bar you have in the car is plenty big.
Monday, July 25, 2005 5:01 AM
Thats the rear shock that I run. You told me about them last year when I first started. Had an auto then. I put it in the wall after hitting some water. and built a new one this time with a five speed.

The rear springs are off a z-24 with half a coil cut off. The car sits level and feels great on entry. I like to drive in deep too. But, I loose so much speed trying to keep it down on bottom the others just run up on me in mid coner. Coming off it spins the left front. I'll get to grab then I'm gone agian. It's quite funny and fun. But I still am loosing to much to the wheel spin.

Some of the Ford Probes and Storms here are crazy fast .

We all run AMB transponders you can check out our lap times on my laps.com
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=86591
Thanks for all the help. Michael

Michael Farmer
Hampton,VA
Thursday, September 22, 2005 7:01 PM
dont cut your spring you increase spring rate when you do this what you want is a 250 lb on the lf 325 rf a 200 in the rr and a 150 lr take the front sway bar out make you push from center out dont run the rear junk start with 28 psi rf 26 rr 10 lr 13 lf for tire presure if you can get on a set of scale you want about 100 lbs across the front that being 100lbs more on the lf same with the back bring some sping rubbers youll do ok
i won 8 time this year 5 or 6 seconds 2 thirds hope that helps
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search