i suck at driving - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
i suck at driving
Sunday, September 25, 2005 10:39 AM
ive gone to the track around 3 times already with my new car. i have an aem intake, fidanza short shifter, and 2 1/4 inch piping with a 27 inch resonator and magnaflow muffler and cat. i launch at 2500 and i get wheel hop and i try to shift right at redline before it hits the limiter. but i still cant get under a 16.0 i run like 16.1s 16.2s consistently but the best i have done is 16.0 and i see alot of people on here are running mid 15s with only an intake so i wanted to know what i could do to get into the 15's. should i launch different to reduce wheel hop, also how do u feather the clutch because ive heard ppl saying to feather the clutch to reduce wheel hop but i dont even know what that is. oh and i want to be like lambofgoddess and run 15.0 with only an intake and exhaust. so help me out people, thanks!

Re: i suck at driving
Sunday, September 25, 2005 11:17 AM
well lots of things can affect your times. weather, track conditions, condition of the car, driver ability,

just keep on practicing, or try an other track

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, September 25, 2005 11:35 AM
well i went to a track in crystal city like 40 mins from were i live like 2 weeks ago and i couldnt get my time under 16.6 and my cousin in his del sol runs 14.9s in san antonio and at that track we went to he was running like 15.4s and 15.5s he was all pissed. it was also like some were between 95 to 99 degrees for sure and the track was new so it didnt have any rubber laid at the lights so u spun the tires until like third gear.

Sunday, September 25, 2005 1:29 PM
launch higher. wheel hop will kill you and your car. you would be much better off launching at a point where the tires spin a little bit. much easier on the car and a lot easier to come out of spin than hop.

you gotta remember that if the tires are hopping they aint going anywhere. if theyre spinning theyre at least moving...just not that fast.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Sunday, September 25, 2005 1:51 PM
cool about what rpms do u think like at 3500 or 4000? ill try that next time i go to the track, thanks for the help

Sunday, September 25, 2005 3:10 PM
I think its the driver that is the problem. When I ran the car I ran a 15.4 with just the intake. Keep practicing man.

Sunday, September 25, 2005 4:07 PM
titus did u do anything special when u raced the car because i know its me that cant get the car to its fulll potential but this is my first standard car and i will probably take a while to get my times down to how u ran with it. oh yeah and whats feathering the clutch? thanks

Sunday, September 25, 2005 6:30 PM
weight reduction is key. although my 15.0 was only with a half stripped interior(no back seats or passenger seat). but since i have the 1sv, my car is light to begin with. the one time i got to weigh it, it was 2490. but make sure you take out any extra crap when you go to the track, especially the spare/jack. and don't fill up your gas tank.

try airing down your front tires, im not sure if you do already, you didn't mention it. but i air down to 20-22 psi in the fronts. and yes, launch between 3500 and 4000,and you already have your shift points down. now just go and practice. and good luck

just curious, where are your 60's at?

Monday, September 26, 2005 3:55 PM
I don't think I did anything special. Just droped the cluth at like 2k rpm. Anything higher it would either hop or spin the tires.
Feathering the cluth is when you don't just let it go all of a sudden. You kind of ease off of it. I tried doing that and ran about .1 slower. Mabye the new wheels are slowing you down?

Monday, September 26, 2005 5:19 PM
Quote:

Feathering the cluth is when you don't just let it go all of a sudden. You kind of ease off of it. I tried doing that and ran about .1 slower.

Cuz you need to try doing it more than once, and then do it until you get it right. judging from your 60' in your slip you probably are bogging when you launch. No offense but a i high 2.3 60' is far from what the car is capable of even in mostly stock condition. If you were to take say 2 tenths off of that you might actually see close to a full half-second shaved from your lowest ET. Believe me, when I started racing my car, everyone i talked to online tried telling me to rev to 2000 and dump the clutch, and i ran 60' times about on par with yours... One day I found a guy who said he had cut 1.8 second 60' times on the stock tires, so I asked him what he did, even met up with him at ATCO Raceway for a demonstration, and using his method, even on bald, bone stock street tires, I cut consistent 2.0's. That 3 tenths might not sound like much but the harder you come out of the whole the more moment you have helping to push you faster... so it ends up that a lot of the time, 1 tenth in the sixty foot can be worth 2 to 3 tenths in ET by the end of the track. It doesnt always happen like that, but its a general rule that seems to stick judging from my experience. And if you don't want to take my advice because I've got a veedub, than you better be listening to mandy (lambofgoddess) because she know what she's doing.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Monday, September 26, 2005 6:37 PM
well i ran the sixteen flat with the wheels that u had on the car at san antonio race way and i still didnt have the 18's yet so i dont think its that. well anyways i guess ill just practice my driving

Monday, September 26, 2005 10:30 PM
cavipower1 wrote:well i ran the sixteen flat with the wheels that u had on the car at san antonio race way and i still didnt have the 18's yet so i dont think its that. well anyways i guess ill just practice my driving
lower tire pressure helps absorb wheel hop also.i run between 18-20psi and leave at between 4,000 - 4400rpm

see ya!

Monday, September 26, 2005 10:47 PM
thanks i will try that just gotta get to the track and see if it helps. does wheel hop mess up ur times alot because i get alot of wheel hop and when i dont get wheel hop my car bogs out bad as in like it starts like it wants to stall so that is whats killing my times in the run sorry but this is my first standard car and i dont really know yet thanks.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 12:54 PM
its ok i suck at driving too

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 1:14 PM
thanks i feel alot better now. but i still wanna run faster

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 9:54 PM
its cool, i just ripped a 15 flat on stock tires, stock pressure, no back seat, 2.1 60ft time lol. i suck too, and im supposed to be faster than that with the charger lol.......oh well, ive only been to the track like 3 times, and this is only my 6th time running it lol.......

2000 Camaro V6.
| SLP Loudmouth | CAI Intake | HID's |

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 11:24 PM
i ran a 15.3 with my car with just a intake and engine mounts i launch around 2500 and get 2.0-2.1 all the time

First time i ever ran (or drove it for that matter) a GM supercharged car i ripped a 14.7@96

Thursday, September 29, 2005 7:52 AM
thanks for making me feel even worse lol

Friday, September 30, 2005 11:35 AM
ok so i went to the track i went to in crystal city but it was cooler this time i went later on in the evening i launched once at 3500 i ran a 15.9 so i got happy, then i tried launching and spun the tires and ran a 16.1 but when i launch around 3500 i ran better. i ran 5 times becuz it was kinda late and when i launched at 3500 i ran the 15.9 so i guess that also helped me. so do i just keep launching at 3500 my cheap nankangs dont really hook up at all when i launch at 4000 but alright i guess at 3500. so im kinda happy i at least have a couple of 15 second timeslips. i guess just gotta keep practicing, oh and im buying a shiftlight so maybe i can improve on my shifts too.

Saturday, October 01, 2005 2:30 PM
I'd say higher launches to avoid wheelhop and save your car, and shift just above the peak. If you accidentally miss a gear (probably 3rd like I usually do) when you take it out of second, do the shift a bit slower so you dont miss it. The slower shift saves you more time than trying to get it into 3rd after you missed it the first time
Sunday, October 02, 2005 12:40 AM
i went to the track a couple of times this year and the best i did was 16.58
the same day my little brother ran a 16.31, in my car. i was launching it at 2200 and wheel hopped bad. plus i suck at driving my car, it's also my 1st 5 speed. so what you are saying is rev higher, dump the clutch and i might hit low 16 to high 15

Sunday, October 02, 2005 2:07 AM
i launched higher and i ran a little faster so yeah it helps. just keep trying like me and i guess everyone eventually gets it

Sunday, October 02, 2005 12:27 PM
Try launching 3K-3.5K RPMS and shifting at 6 grand, not before the llimiter. Shifting at 6300 dosen't help. The ecotecs powerband is from about 3500rpms to about 5900-6100, because the torque peak is ar 4000, and the HP peak is around 5600-5800rpm, and power starts falling off at 6200.

1971 camaro 427 --- here!

Stock... and loving every minute of it.
Sunday, October 02, 2005 5:04 PM
Quote:

Try launching 3K-3.5K RPMS and shifting at 6 grand, not before the llimiter. Shifting at 6300 dosen't help. The ecotecs powerband is from about 3500rpms to about 5900-6100, because the torque peak is ar 4000, and the HP peak is around 5600-5800rpm, and power starts falling off at 6200.

i ran a 15.0 and shift at 6400, and launch at 4000.

catback and an intake only. (05 5speed cavie.)

6400 wins.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search