WTF What is wrong with me!! - Page 2 - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: WTF What is wrong with me!!
Thursday, October 27, 2005 4:04 AM
Hrm... how bout some physics.

F = m*a

Force = mass * acceleration. Your engine will produce a constant amount of force, so if we change weight, we can increase acceleration.

a = F / m

Given your engine's torque curve, coefficient of friction, and a few other factors, you can actually calculate how fast a car ::should:: go. But I cannot remember my physics that well

In either event the best way to sum up weight reduction is; the improvement gained from reducing weight is directly proportional to the original weight. The lighter the car, the more effect 100 lbs of weight reduction will help. 100 lbs of a 2200 lb car will have more of an effect than 100 lbs of a 4000 lb car.

Thursday, October 27, 2005 2:38 PM
I did a little bit of homework last night...
I notice a difference in the Weight to Power ratio. If you have the same HP (145) and you loose 110lbs, it would be equivilant to gaining around 6 HP. With the same car, dropping a total of 270lbs (I went in incraments of 40 lbs), it would react like you gained about 16 HP.... not very much.

But, if you increased the HP, the weight drop gives you more of an advantage. I picked a higher number (300HP sounded good to me), and the same 110lbs dropped off the car would be equivalant to gaining 12.7 HP almost doubling the original amount. Then the 270lbs dropped would react like a 33.3 HP gain.

I even went as far as compairing a 2100lbs car with around 1400HP. Dropping only 10lbs would react like gaining 9.3 HP.

What I am trying to get at is the lower the Weight to Power ratio is (i.e. 18.6 compaired to a 8.633), the more of a reaction your car would get from dropping that weight. Our stock heavy cars really don't react much to the drop, but every little bit helps.
Saturday, October 29, 2005 2:52 AM
so lets say a car weighs in at 2800 lbs and its stock hp is 150, for every 19 lbs dropped you would gain 1hp? cause weight div by power equals hp-weight ratio correct?? so 2800/150+18.6667........ so lets say you drop, eh, 150lbs, thats what? almost 8hp? not alot imo

2000 Camaro V6.
| SLP Loudmouth | CAI Intake | HID's |

Saturday, October 29, 2005 5:52 PM
You wouldn't be actually gaining any HP, you cant take weight off and make HP. I said it would be EQUIVALENT to that sort of gain.
Monday, October 31, 2005 11:50 PM
If you chip off 10lbs from a 1000 lb block, the block is only slightly easier to push across the floor and it will accelerate relatively the same as before.

If you chip of 10 lbs from a 20 lb block, the block is now half as heavy as before and it will accelerate at a much faster pace than before.

This is described quite perfectly by the equation from above:

a = F / M

'a' changes very rapidly with values of 'M' close to 'F', whereas 'a' very gradually approaches zero given a wide variance of 'M'.

And please shift at redline.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search