Limit of mods for STS prep? - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Limit of mods for STS prep?
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 8:31 AM
So so far I have:
Engine:
AEM Cold Air Intake
4-2-1 Exhaust Header
Cat-back exhaust
Lower Motor Mount

Suspension:
Control Arm Bushings
DC Sports Front Strut Bar
KYB AGX struts
Rear 1" Sway bar

Brakes:
Front slotted rotors
Hawk HP pads (front)

Wheels:
15x7 Kosei K1 (tires to be determined, 205 RT-615s, or 225 yoko's)

To order:
H&R Springs
Short-Throw Shifter
Rear Strut Bar
Under Drive Pulley
Camber Bolts or Camber plates

Questionable:
Upper Motor Mount (rule 14.10 G, volume of metal in mount may not be increased in relation to the volume of metal in the stock mount)

-is this saying that the current available ecotec upper mount has more metal therefore it is illegal, or that the bushings themselves can not be metal, and their composition should not be a higher percentage of metal? It's a pretty hefty piece, but I don't know if the amount of metal in the unit itself is more or less than what comes in the replacement. Anyone know the weight of each of mount?

Electronic Fuel Management, is there any gain to be had here with a NA application?

Summary:
For those who don't know the goal for next year is to tune and prep this car at the regional level, but have it prepped to be legal at the national level, if the modifications are fruitfull locally, otherwise it'll be a fun daily driver and regional competitor.

-Chris

Re: Limit of mods for STS prep?
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 8:48 AM
I'm pretty sure its talking about the bushing itself (ie. no solid welded mounts), so you should be fine

You could always ask over at http://www.sccaforums.com to be sure

CACC BC Region - DSP
http:www.victoriamotorsports.ca
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 2:16 PM
Most everything looks good on your list, but ill comment on a couple of things.

One, don't go with the yoks. Im assuming you mean the AVS ES100s? The new Azenis, Kumho MXs or possibly even the Hankook Z212 will be a better tire for autox. BFG makes a 225/50/15 Gforce KD which could also be a possibilty despite the expense. Having driven on that size tire tho, I feel its a bit short gearing wise on a Jbody. At the few regional events ive been to around here, the courses are a bit faster than the local ones and shifting to 3rd could be an issue. Have you checked out your regional courses yet? Might not be an issue for you. Personaly I would run a 225/50/16, probably the kumho MX on some 16x7 or 16x7.5s if you can find them. Looking really quick, Hankook makes a 225/45/16 Z212 that could offer a tick shorter gearing and less side wall too if thats what your looking for.

As for the suspension, im a firm beliver in coilovers now. After trying the intrax/AGX combo in SM for about a year and a half and then switching to yellows/GCs the difference was incredible, and that was just around town! I had to autox Novaracers car (which has GCs/AGXs) in STS to try coilovers at an actual autox. The difference in transitions and overall grip is quite worth while. Based on the experiance in my car, weight transfer in the rear end was rather abrupt, sloppy almost, and it hurt in the sloloms. Coilovers tightend up all corners and made the car much more sure footed, but still could be rotated if need be.

A nice setup with lots of adjustablitly might be the Dspecs with coilovers. I drove 2 Dspec equipped cars at the bash and the range of adjustment was huge! They should be more than able to handle coilovers for everyday driving and autox on the weekends.

The camber bolts and a good alingment will help a lot also. Around -2 degrees of negative camber and just a little toe out in the front will help nicely. Rear axle can't really be touched it seems.

Other notes, an SAFC is legal, but because they are such a MoFo to install and make run correctly on a jbody, its probably not worth it at all. Other than just running a strait pipe and supertrap to save weight and possibly make a few more peak HP, doubt you could pick up a lot more HP.

You could swap your seats out for lighter, more supportive ones. If your car has the side air bags your seats are HEAVY. 15 lbs is the rule in STS for aftermarket Seats I belive. Even if you don't do seats, get a harness. I run a scrolth ralley 3 and love it.

The motor mount might be a question for the other forums like Oldskool said, but from the way I read it, I think they are trying to keep you from just filling in the rubber parts with metal.

13.934 @ 97.82 ALL MOTOR
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 3:43 PM
I think the rule on the top mount is regarding the actual bushing itself, in which case, you should be fine.

List of additional modifications:
Subframe brace
Stainless brake lines
Transmission Mounts

You may have a hard time getting -2 deg of camber with camber bolts. Most guys I talk to say to run -3 if you can (I have yet to install my camber plates, but I will have them done by Nov)

As far as tires go, you should definatley be running Hoosiers or V710's(at least at your regionals). 225/XX would be preferred.

Like others have said, you may also want to consider coils. I'm on H&R's with AGX's and I still have too much body roll. Its DEFINATELY an improvement over stock, but it could still be better.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 3:44 PM
Damn it, I was thinking DSP the whole time. Axe the tires.

Any reason you want to run STS? J's aren't very competitive in that category.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 6:42 PM
I'm going from running GS to STS, main reason is longevity of tires, and to get the car sorted. Then when I get into DSP, it'll be that much better moving to the r-compounds.

-Chris

Friday, October 21, 2005 12:10 AM
i like my set up just need some more power down low!

see ya!

Friday, October 21, 2005 5:50 AM
How are the AGX's and coilovers holding out. I keep hearing mixed things form other people, but not you.

I'd prefer to do thing "right", aka yellows and GC's. However I think the rebound and compression dampening of the AGX's paired with some coilovers would be great.

Any comments?

-Chris

Friday, October 21, 2005 1:56 PM
The range of adjustments on the Dspecs are way broader than the AGXs. If i didn't already have the konis and wasn't planning on getting them rebuilt, I would try them with coilovers myself.

Seems Maurice is fine with his AGXs/GC so far, I honestly didn't think they would last too long either. Im sure he will have more to say than I do.

13.934 @ 97.82 ALL MOTOR
Friday, October 21, 2005 6:47 PM
they are holding up well. i like them but i think i will get something else for next season. I am thinking at least custom konis for the front. shortened and re valved.

see ya!

Monday, October 24, 2005 6:28 AM
maybe I'll just save up some cash for the Tein Superstreets, go ahead with the H&R springs for now, and just put the current exhaust on the wifes cav, when the teins come in.

-Chris

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 8:22 AM
Does your suspension still have a stock rear sway bar?

If it does, I'd put in a bigger front bar to even things out, otherwise you may find yourself too tail-happy. Granted, you can tune this some with adjustable struts, so it may not be a big deal, but the flatter body behavior with monster sway bars is really nice.

- check my registry to see what I mean

About the only thing on my car that's not STS legal is the blower :p
I put that on before I really got into autocrossing. SM is even worse that STS for cavaliers, but god is it fun....
Meh, i'll be running more in CSP in my fiero next year most likely.

-------------------------------------------------
Sleeper style, they don't see it coming that way.
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 8:25 AM
I have the rear but not the front. I've found that I have a little bit of overster.

I'd rather have a little oversteer than a little understeer.

Next year will be interesting for me, playing with camber, coilovers, etc..

-Chris

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search