Roll cage vs sunvisors - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Roll cage vs sunvisors
Friday, October 21, 2005 11:05 AM
I think the time has come for a roll bar / cage. Here's my dilemma:

If I go with a 4 point, I need to use the thicker 1.75 x .120, and I don't get the added safety or stiffness of a six point.

If I go with a 6 point (with the front stays coming down the A pillars to the floor), I can use the lighter 1.75x .95, but the front crossbrace is likely going to prevent use of my sunvisors.

This may seem like a silly point for a race car, but it's also my daily driver. I don't want to test out the rollcage because the sun was in my eyes and I crashed

Has anyone sucessfully fitted a front crossbrace and retained the use of their sunvisors?

Re: Roll cage vs sunvisors
Friday, October 21, 2005 12:20 PM
Could you make new sunvisors and attach them to the bar?

Friday, October 21, 2005 12:27 PM
Interesting thought. I suppose that would be possible, although I'd have to attach them with some kind of clamp. I'm pretty sure I can't drill any holes in the bars except for the inspection hole.

I'm definitely going to think about that.

I was looking at my windshield just now, and I think there's a slight possibility of being able to tuck the bar up against the windshield, past the lump in the roof. Although, it'll make for a weird point at the top of the A pilar. I'll have to ask the fabricator if that's possible.

Friday, October 21, 2005 4:22 PM
by a pair of good sunglasses. done.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, October 21, 2005 7:00 PM
um you have your reading wrong./

a 6 point bar does NOT go up the a pillars

2 bottom front dash
2 Behind front seat
2 in trunk

the front bar just runs by your shoulder from the b billar bar

a 10 point roll CAGE goes up the a pillar and along the roof

you will have no problems with a 4,6,8 point roll BAR

Saturday, October 22, 2005 12:20 PM
Hey, I'm only going by what the experts say:

cscracing.com wrote:We always meet or exceed what is mandated by CASC-OR race regulations, the difference in material diameter and wall thickness in these applications is based on quantity of material.

The Roll bar is a single vertical hoop with triangulation plus rear braces, the roll cage would extend this to include window posts running from main hoop along roof line to windshield, bend down along the A-pillar and continue to floor, there would be a roof header bar connecting these pieces as well a dash bar, side intrusion bars on both sides.
Again the difference is, is it a 4 point roll bar or a 6 point roll cage
I'm working in Race Ontario rules on the premise that we are talking about a roll cage
not a roll bar. You are correct, for solo sport a 4 point roll bar, material shall be 1.75 x .120

I dont't believe they count all the triangulation as 'points'.

Saturday, October 22, 2005 3:49 PM
I have 8-point and it dosn't go up there.

Monday, October 24, 2005 6:33 AM
The sunvisors would put the smackdown on the roll cage, no contest

BTW jegs now has a nice selection of weld in cages for GM cars, including cavy's and fires that are very nicely priced.

-Chris

Monday, October 24, 2005 7:36 AM
Thanks for the info, Rascal. You're right, those are good prices. But the tubing is thicker than I need for CASC-OR regs, and since they don't specify, they're probably only using TRW tubing. My cage will also have to be custom, because I want to retain the use of my back seat and rear doors.

Monday, October 24, 2005 9:39 AM
This is where I got mine there really cheap (price) nice tho.good roll cage

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 7:09 PM
that isn't bad. how different are the 02 cavys to the 03+. because they don't list one

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search