Auto X - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Auto X
Sunday, October 23, 2005 1:13 PM
alright well next month im going to my first auto x. i know a few j's on here do it and i was just looking for some tips advice on it.

Re: Auto X
Sunday, October 23, 2005 4:44 PM
not much but 42psi in the front and 38 in the rear. make sure that you put the car where you need it to be dont worry about being fast because you will not be that fast your first time out. Just have FUN!

see ya!

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 8:30 AM
still running stock goodyear RSA's?

I run 50 psi all around, otherwise I roll the fronts under something awful, but otherwise experiment and see what works for you, and the rear I just match up for predictability (i can tune in oversteer/understeer with my suspension)

In your case, based on your registry you're in STS (because of your rear sway bar and strut braces).

Your suspension setup is similar to mine (i went with koni's sport kit instead of sportlines), so I'd recommend similar for you for your first time out.

And on the konis...run the fronts about 1 turn stiff, and the rears 1 and 1/5 turns stiff (since you didn't list an upgraded front swaybar) and see what that does for you.

I've got the Addco 1" front and rear, so I run full stiff in the rear and 1 turn in the front as a baseline, and that seems to rotate nicely and predictably. Honestly, I find i hit more cones with the back end of my car than the front

-------------------------------------------------
Sleeper style, they don't see it coming that way.
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 9:06 AM
My reccomendation:
If you are running on the RSA's, start your pressure around 45psi all the way around and chalk them. Run your shocks all the way up to full stiff. Check your chalk lines after your first run. Also, adjust your chalks accordingly.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 9:06 AM
Adjust your shocks, not chalks

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 9:22 AM
you want the chalk to rub off up to the shoulder of the tire, but not any further.

I usually put three stripes, little on the sidewall, and up and onto the tire just a smidgen.

Glass chalk you can get from wally world works well, just dab it on.

Say goodbye to your RSA's if you get addicted.

I killed my first set of RSA's via 4 or 5 autocrosses, and a test and tune.

-Chris

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 1:13 PM
I got disqualified on a noise violation because my stupid old RSA's! God I hated those things...Kumho V710's are so much nicer

CACC BC Region - DSP
http:www.victoriamotorsports.ca
Thursday, October 27, 2005 12:06 AM
oldskoolz24 wrote:I got disqualified on a noise violation because my stupid old RSA's! God I hated those things...Kumho V710's are so much nicer

Wtf a noise violation while racing??? Wtf the SCCA is nuts with all it's rules...

95 Cobra
Check out my site
Thursday, October 27, 2005 6:19 AM
oldskoolz24 wrote:I got disqualified on a noise violation because my stupid old RSA's! God I hated those things...Kumho V710's are so much nicer

I think someone got PO'd because you were beating them.

If street tires arn't squaeling your not driving them hard enough.

-Chris

Thursday, October 27, 2005 8:46 AM
At the venue we used to run at, we had a 96 dB noise limit imposed by the city because of nearby apartments full of old people that love to complain...we lost that venue not long after because of complaints

CACC BC Region - DSP
http:www.victoriamotorsports.ca
Thursday, October 27, 2005 12:03 PM
stoopid old people

Thursday, October 27, 2005 9:29 PM
alright thanks for all the imput. i am on rsa's. ill try to get some video of it. when i go. btw if anybody in the north east area wants to go heres the info. Auto X

Friday, October 28, 2005 1:06 PM
Gah...I looked at my first post again....where I said rears 1 1/5 stiff...I'm pretty sure I meant 1 1 3/4...don't ask how I got that so very very wrong...

I wouldn't go full stiff up front, going too stiff will actually *reduce* available overall traction, but going stiffer in the rear will help it rotate.

As for tire pressure, yeah, you can start at 45, but make sure you bring something with you to bump them up, because if you're driving really hard, they'll probably still roll under on you at that pressure.

-------------------------------------------------
Sleeper style, they don't see it coming that way.
Sunday, November 13, 2005 7:07 AM
If you've never done an Auto X before....dont worry so much about car setup. Make sure you have enough pressure in your tires so that you dont damage a wheel or anything and just concentrate on staying on the track. It can be a lot harder than people think.

For the first time just go out and have fun.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/605620
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 2:28 PM

what I would do

front shocks soft
rears shocks hard.

front tires I use to run mine from 42 or so and the rear about 34-40(didn't notice a big difference)

as for driving

Look ahead of you not at the gate that your at or you will get behind in the steering input also brake early(this may be a reason someone up there has 50psi in the tires) too much speed going in is bad so slow in fast and controlled out is your mantra.

apply your brakes smoothly no jerking it around and the throttle in the same manor but unless you have over 200HP you wont really need to worry. Depending on the course you may want to leave it in second(is your car standard?)

Oh and have fun!

Ryan Butchart 1 man, 1 car, 1 lap at a time.

Thursday, November 17, 2005 11:09 PM
my fisrt time i had a complete blast.. brought home a 3rd place....
my second time, even more fun..... 2nd place... sorry i had to brag....

i have Azenis, and i ran them at 48 for the first time, the whole time..
the second time, i felt i was getting slightly loose, so i went from 48 to 45, figured that the softer tire would grip more, BOY was i wrong............ i ended up spinig out on that run..... needles to say, i pumped it up to 50, and i ended up runing my fastest time... (but still damn that one cone)

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav
Monday, November 21, 2005 2:13 PM
I think maybe your Azenis were hot on your second run. They don't like heat. I have always adjusted my azenis down if I was loosing traction too easily (or cooled the tires down).

Friday, November 25, 2005 6:24 PM
well, after the spinnout, icame back , refilled to 50 and had the fastest time yet.
The car gripped better then....
so go figure..................
i will try to keep that in mind though........ thanx....

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search