auto vs. manual - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
auto vs. manual
Tuesday, November 08, 2005 5:00 PM
i have an auto eco and i was curious why some cars are faster with auto's and some arent? Why is the auto eco slower than the manual if it doest let off the rpm when shifting and its not too much heavier. when a 2005 gto has a better 1/4 mile with the auto tranny.

Re: auto vs. manual
Wednesday, November 09, 2005 4:52 AM
depends on the auto tranny. our cars have one more gear and better gear ratios when in manual form, hence it's faster than the auto. If there was a 5 speed auto with good gearing, it could well be faster than a manual but for now it's not happening and I doubt it will ever be that way from the factory..

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
Wednesday, November 09, 2005 8:16 AM
DanteMustDie wrote:depends on the auto tranny. our cars have one more gear and better gear ratios when in manual form, hence it's faster than the auto. If there was a 5 speed auto with good gearing, it could well be faster than a manual but for now it's not happening and I doubt it will ever be that way from the factory..

well GM is making a 7 speed automatic transmission, there isnt a manual 7 speed.

2006 Black Cobalt SS Supercharged G85
13.91@102.77
Wednesday, November 09, 2005 8:19 AM
I was talking more about their entry-level cars.

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
Wednesday, November 09, 2005 10:46 AM
The auto's lose a good bit cause of the torque converter. When its full of fluid it weighs more the clutch assembly. Also gearing like they said.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005 2:31 PM
Exactly what jacalope said.

power goes through the torque converter, and then you have to factor all that liquid weight that jackalope said, not to mention the one thing both cars suffer through. Overall drivetrain loss. It's just more severe in the auto.

I'm more partial to a manual but everyone has their own quirks. Autos have very nice points also.

Thursday, November 10, 2005 8:10 AM
i have a 1999 cavalier all motor ith an auto tranny, and i run a 14.3 in the quater, the do have shift kits avalible and after market stall converters for the auto trany that bolts up to the ln2,2.4, and the ecotech
Friday, November 11, 2005 1:09 AM
Quote:

When its full of fluid it weighs more the clutch assembly.

True, but auto's also have flex plates which are much lighter than a flywheel so it kind of equals out on the weight issue
Friday, November 11, 2005 10:34 AM
Zack McGlothern wrote:i have a 1999 cavalier all motor ith an auto tranny, and i run a 14.3 in the quater, the do have shift kits avalible and after market stall converters for the auto trany that bolts up to the ln2,2.4, and the ecotech

Hey man, that's one quick li'l LN2 You have any pics/vids/slips? What's the interior look like (is there any left?)

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Friday, November 11, 2005 3:50 PM
I too would like to know more about this 14 second LN2

Friday, November 11, 2005 4:44 PM
^^^x3 tell us more 'bout yer 14 sec ln2 4popper.

People say that what doesn't kill you in this life
will make you stronger. I'm not sure if that is true
or not, but i do know one thing-You have to learn from
it and it has to make you better.......it has to.......

Friday, November 11, 2005 4:45 PM
Zack McGlothern wrote:i have a 1999 cavalier all motor ith an auto tranny, and i run a 14.3 in the quater

Lets see some proof.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Saturday, November 12, 2005 8:03 AM
Hmmm...... all I hear are crickets.

Thats Him Officer The WICKED One.

Saturday, November 12, 2005 9:11 AM
Westen wrote:
Quote:

When its full of fluid it weighs more the clutch assembly.

True, but auto's also have flex plates which are much lighter than a flywheel so it kind of equals out on the weight issue

have you ever actually lifted a torque converter full of trans fluid? it doesn't balance out jack!!

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Thursday, November 17, 2005 4:54 PM
another reason besides gearing, us auto's can only launch around 2k rpms, you guys can launch more into the power-band.

1971 camaro 427 --- here!

Stock... and loving every minute of it.
Thursday, November 17, 2005 7:11 PM
The auto's are tuned for economy and comfort, where as the manuals can be shifted in the "sweet spot" of the power band. It also helps that the manuals have more gears to keep you shifting in the sweet spot, hence a manual can work better with a narrower peekier power band. Autos require a broader, less peeky torque band. A shift kit (Auto Trans Interceptor or B&M ShiftPlus for the 4T40E), the proper gearing and the proper Torque Converter can make an auto just as quick as a manual. A proper TC can multiply your torque by as much as 2.55 times!

It just costs more and takes more work to make an auto run that quick, some thing most people don't just don't have both of.

Saturday, November 26, 2005 7:06 PM
Sticks are the way to go, unless you're building a drag only car. You can get the launch where you want when you're racing, and drive it "normally" when you're not racing. With an auto, if you want the best et, you have to buy a high stall converter which totally sucks for city street driving.

And down-shifting to hang a corner just isn't the same with an auto, even compaired to my beaten up isuzu 5 speed.

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Sunday, November 27, 2005 4:42 PM
it does not matter having a manual as far as quarter mile acceleration goes anyways. In j body applications , Because the fact that I dont think any of them get into fifth gear at the end of a quarter and the only thing different and worse about the auto in the quarter mile that may cause a lower time is the drivetrain loss. Not the gearing. With a shift kit and power adders such as a turbocharger, your car can pull the same times as a five speed if not better. As stated above, everyone has their preference and mine is auto. And I do own a getrag 00 Z24 also. So dont say I dont know the difference between the two . lol

01 Z24 Turbo MMMM YUMMY
Sunday, November 27, 2005 11:22 PM
Quote:

Sticks are the way to go

not really

autos are better for bracket racing.

id rather run the same time every race at the strip then miss a shift and probaly be beat and laughed at

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Monday, November 28, 2005 5:01 AM
^^^^ I never saw anyone laugh at someone who misses a shift. And it's hard to miss a shift, really. So for getting the best times on a street car, manual is the way to go. If ALL you want to do is bracket racing, then get a 3 spd auto OHV.

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
Monday, November 28, 2005 5:53 AM
dragracemyz24 wrote:it does not matter having a manual as far as quarter mile acceleration goes anyways.

Actually it does, the automatic has longer gears. The ratios in the 5 speed are much better for getting the most amount of power to the ground.

It would not matter only if the automatic had the same gear ratios, and the same drivetrain power loss as the manual.

However, as said before, the auto is the best for bracket racing.

Stick is better for autox and road racing.

-Chris

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 10:07 AM
This always will be a debate till the end of time, it all comes down to how you build it. You can make an auto trans just as wonderful as a manual trans. Its all in what kind of racing you like to do and your preferences.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, November 30, 2005 11:50 AM
Another thing not mentioned in a stock tranny is 3rd gear lockup, which can reduce times. There comes a point when having an auto is a good thing such as in a higher power car or in bracket racing for consistency, but in most cases the manual tranny will be faster.
Wednesday, November 30, 2005 6:30 PM
IamRascal wrote:
dragracemyz24 wrote:it does not matter having a manual as far as quarter mile acceleration goes anyways.

Actually it does, the automatic has longer gears. The ratios in the 5 speed are much better for getting the most amount of power to the ground.

It would not matter only if the automatic had the same gear ratios, and the same drivetrain power loss as the manual.

However, as said before, the auto is the best for bracket racing.

Stick is better for autox and road racing.

I seem to do quite well in Autocross with my Automatic, i'm running against STi's, Corvettes, Civics, Sentra Spec V's, Porsche 944 (N/A and Turbo), MK3 Supras, 5spd J-Body's, plus many others. Now i'm not trying to say that I dominate them all everytime, by all means. I'm just saying that an Automatic JBody can be just as quick around an Autocross course as a 5spd JBody. That's just my $0.02 though.

Saturday, December 03, 2005 12:52 AM
THE FACT IS:

AUTO'S ARE WORTHLESS, BUY A MANUAL!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search