automatic question - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
automatic question
Thursday, December 01, 2005 1:41 PM
so i my friend was driving the cav beucase i just had some cough syrup that made me woozy (half the bottle), and i noticed that whne he "downshifted" the auto that he didnt let his foot off the gas. I told him you are supposed to and he said nah, and i was wondering what is the best way to downshift an auto.

Re: automatic question
Thursday, December 01, 2005 7:20 PM
Please explain why he was downshifting in the first place.

The only real time to force an auto to downshift is if you're going down a long hill and need to engine brake to avoid killing your brakes.

I don't see what this has to do with racing.

If you're talking about downshifting to accelerate, you simply mash the go pedal. The car will downshift on it's own. That's what makes it an automatic.

Friday, December 02, 2005 9:36 AM
Wild Weasel wrote:The only real time to force an auto to downshift is if you're going down a long hill and need to engine brake to avoid killing your brakes.

Even then I'd rather have my brakes worn, versus the tranny.

I killed a 4T40E already, great excuse to get another 5 speed as I have no clue why I had bought an auto in the beginning.

Friday, December 02, 2005 10:40 AM
If you downshift to race you get better throttle response compared to having it in drive. I have the B&M shift plus on my car and when i race i can get rubber in second gear.

2003 Silver Cavalier 2.2L Ecotec!!!!
Friday, December 02, 2005 7:41 PM
ratbag wrote:If you downshift to race you get better throttle response compared to having it in drive. I have the B&M shift plus on my car and when i race i can get rubber in second gear.

can you prove that?

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Saturday, December 03, 2005 8:50 AM
ratbag wrote:If you downshift to race you get better throttle response compared to having it in drive. I have the B&M shift plus on my car and when i race i can get rubber in second gear.

Are you serious?

Sunday, December 04, 2005 4:34 PM
Ad1kTed 2 SpE3d wrote:

Are you serious?

I get rubber in second gear to third without super auto shifting.

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Monday, December 05, 2005 9:01 AM
Jcavi wrote:
Ad1kTed 2 SpE3d wrote:

Are you serious?

I get rubber in second gear to third without super auto shifting.

I was 'in at the fact he moves the shifter from drive while driving. Thats a real fine way to ruin your transmission.

Monday, December 05, 2005 12:34 PM
The automatic transmission down shifts for you when you push the throttle down enough, no reason to manually down shift when you are already on the throttle.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Monday, December 05, 2005 1:04 PM
First thing would be "note to self don't let friend drive car again"

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 3:59 PM
Ad1kTed 2 SpE3d wrote:

Are you serious?

my cav is stock ind it will gitter a bit goin into 2nd, which is the tires almost losing grip. This was mashing it from a 20mph roll to 70.

1971 camaro 427 --- here!

Stock... and loving every minute of it.

Thursday, December 08, 2005 12:45 PM
I believe he can chirp second, I could with the Shiftplus on my old Z. Though say goodbye to the bands inside of your tranny, they tend not to like that very much.

Once your B&M doesn't seem to be working as it use to, turn it off, you'll be in for a nice surprise! I was.

Thursday, December 08, 2005 5:52 PM
so like what 10posts and still no answere??! Im saying he did it not me, so um stop lecutirng me lecture him, so does um aynone know yet??
Thursday, December 08, 2005 6:24 PM
ws6+04cav= FTW wrote:so like what 10posts and still no answere??! Im saying he did it not me, so um stop lecutirng me lecture him, so does um aynone know yet??

Skilz10179 wrote:The automatic transmission down shifts for you when you push the throttle down enough, no reason to manually down shift when you are already on the throttle.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile

Friday, December 09, 2005 3:17 PM
i think you are all still missing the question, its a matter of dispute between us, wether when you downshfit an auto (wehter you do it or not dosent matter), do you take your foot of the gas. YES we all realise it does it for you, but that is NOT My question
Friday, December 09, 2005 4:11 PM
ws6+04cav= FTW wrote:i think you are all still missing the question, its a matter of dispute between us, wether when you downshfit an auto (wehter you do it or not dosent matter), do you take your foot of the gas. YES we all realise it does it for you, but that is NOT My question

If you are at wide open throttle, you are already in the lowest gear possible automaticly. When you are are already in the lowest possible gear for your rpm limit vs speed you are driving you can not downshift.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile

Saturday, December 10, 2005 12:52 AM
no no no, here is the scenario, we are comming of a freeway and instead of breaking he puts it in 3rd, is it better for the transmissoin if he lets off the gas and puts it in 3rd or just stays on the gas and puts it in 3rd
Saturday, December 10, 2005 3:17 PM
Ah, I understand. Well, it's better that he leaves it in Drive, and tries not to switch trans modes while driving. But if he does wanna downshift like that, I'd say let off the gas.
Saturday, December 10, 2005 7:50 PM
maybe i see wheres hes coming from, i knwo when i leave the tranny in manual 1st and cruise at like 20 mph and then just mash it it just goes instead of waiting the split second for the tranny to select gears cause im cruising at about 3000 rpms at 20 mph

The one, the only, ME.
Sunday, December 11, 2005 10:37 AM
ws6+04cav= FTW wrote:no no no, here is the scenario, we are comming of a freeway and instead of breaking he puts it in 3rd, is it better for the transmissoin if he lets off the gas and puts it in 3rd or just stays on the gas and puts it in 3rd

If he's downshifting to slow down then of course you want to take your foot off the gas, if you guys were coming off the freeway and he downshifts and stays on the gas, you're going to pick up speed, and i'm assuming you were trying to slow down... . just tell him to use the brakes, it's an automatic. or better yet as already stated, don't let him drive your car anymore.

15.69@86.670 - stock 99Z
Monday, December 12, 2005 7:28 AM
I've downshifted going uphill with my foot in the gas and no problem. being a 2200 and having the 4t40E I think the car needs more gearing cause it bogs it down to much going onto the on ramps. I just take my car take it out of overdrive and put it in third while going up hill. it's especially a pain when going up and the converter locks up. being as the 2200 is at such a lack of power. yes you can keep your foot on the gas when downshifting. it would be the same principal as going into a passing gear or something of that nature. when you pass someone do you let off the gas to go by them? I know I keep on the gas and the car downshifts to accelerate past them. I hope this was the answer you were looking for. just when your at like 15-20 dont slam into first and nail the throttle. I have never had a car downshift so violently!

2009 Ford Mustang V6

Sunday, December 18, 2005 3:43 PM
bacially, it's to keep the transmission from upshifting when releasing the gas, at least that what i use 2nd for. the 3sp tranny is quite durable, but i also change the fluid and filter once a year, only use B&M trick shift, and have a 12" x 16" auxilary cooler. a rebuild goes for something like $150 since there are no electronics in the 125c 3t40. pretty much frictions and steels, the only real money hog would be a higher stall torque converter. so add all that up and it breaks about even with the cost of an upgraded clutch. so when automatic vs. manual threads come about, it really depends on which manual and which auto you are comparing.

CAR GODS MADE THE 1.6 SOHC TO MAKE US 2.2 OHV GUYS FEEL BETTER.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search