Need clarification of SCCA rules please - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need clarification of SCCA rules please
Thursday, January 19, 2006 7:52 AM
I was reading the rules for SCCA Solo II Street Touring class and it says that emissions-legal exhaust downstream of the cat is allowed, and later it also mentions emissions-legal header(s). What about the cat itself? I read somewhere that it must be an OE-style cat, so does that mean a Magnaflow cat can't be used? And some things it doesn't even mention. My question is this: If it doesn't specifically forbid a particular mod, will that mod move me into a different class? For instance, I was considering adding engine and tranny mounts to help get the ower to the ground, and it does say mounts must be unmodified, but what if only the inserts are changed? Can I use urethane inserts or is that illegal? I'm also wanting to do roller rockers, pulleys, flywheel and clutch, and the rules don't specifically say these mods are forbidden, but they don't say they're allowed, either. And in case I'm looking at the wrong rules, here's where I was reading from: http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/ I just want to make sure I'm not breaking any rules because I don't condone cheating, and doing so would be, well, hypocritical.

Opfer benotigt. Keine Erfahrung notwendig.

Victims needed. No experience necessary.

Re: Need clarification of SCCA rules please
Thursday, January 19, 2006 10:28 AM
Basically if it doesn't specifically say you CAN do the mod, then it is illegal.

CACC BC Region - DSP
http:www.victoriamotorsports.ca
Thursday, January 19, 2006 10:36 AM
My advice (since I also autocross a 2.2l cav):

Don't mess with a header. Your greatest gains will come from a cat back. I've got a full exhaust system on mine with the high flow cat and everything, and I can honestly say that it didn't make hardly any difference over the cat back I had.

Engine mounts are an ok investment and are legal in STS.

Roller rockers, flywheel, clutch, etc. would be a waste. You will be just as competitive without those things (plus, they are not allowed in STS).

Your biggest areas that need addressing are your suspension and tires.
If you have the money, get some AGX's with Eibach pro-kit springs. Get the new Falken Azenis 615 tires. If you have any left over, uprgrade your brakes. After that, I would worry about the exhaust and then anything else.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 11:35 AM
Thanks, guys. As far as suspension and brakes goes, here's my plan:

Tein Basic coilover set
22mm rear sway (Addco or other, undecided)
camber kit
urethane bushings
upper strut braces
225/50/15 tires on stock wheels (they should fit. I think.)
slotted or drilled rotors
braided brake lines (if they're legal)

That's pretty much it so far. I'm on a pretty tight budget since I also plan to get my Laser running again so I can race it this year (that's my real speed demon). I'm going to keep my stock wheels until I can find a set of lightweight wheels, maybe some Rays Gram Lights or Maxxim Oxygenes if I can find them in 15". At most, I'll go to 16", but I learned my rotating mass lesson with the Laser so probably not. Plus, I kind of like the meaty look of a Cavalier tucking tire on 15" wheels. Anyway, I probably wont race the Cavalier until next season because I have little money and the money I do have is committed to my paintball team this year (my other passion). So if you have any more suggestions, feel free to let loose. This will be my first venture into Solo, so I'm taking this as a learning experience.

Friday, January 20, 2006 5:59 AM
Johnathan (Der Schlafwanderer) wrote:Anyway, I probably wont race the Cavalier until next season because I have little money and the money I do have is committed to my paintball team this year (my other passion).
Run away before paintball takes all your money. Autocrossing is cheaper, I did the math .

braided steel lines ARE legal in STS

What I'm running this year.
2003 Pontiac Sunfire:
AEM CAI
Arospeed 4-2-1 Header
stock cat (sts restriction)
Thermal Research Cat-back
AGX Struts, with H&R Springs
Addco 1" rear swaybar
Prothane control arm bushings
Prothane lower motor mount
Powerslot front rotors with hawk HP pads (still gotta replace fluid)
1/4" spacers all around

Tires and wheels are still up in the air, but most likely some falken RT-615's on my stock 15" rims. EdgeRacing.com has 205/50R15's for $78 a piece. Unfortunately their 16" size selection is really crappy. I was hoping for some 225 widths in 16"...

-Chris

Friday, January 20, 2006 3:13 PM
IamRascal wrote:
Johnathan (Der Schlafwanderer) wrote:Anyway, I probably wont race the Cavalier until next season because I have little money and the money I do have is committed to my paintball team this year (my other passion).
Run away before paintball takes all your money. Autocrossing is cheaper, I did the math .

True, but autocross doesn't let me run around with my Black Magic and shoot the crap out of other people. And if I did it in my car, I think that might qualify as a drive by and SCCA officials, racers, spectators, and local authorities would probably frown on that.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search