Solo2, STS isn't so bad regionally - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Solo2, STS isn't so bad regionally
Sunday, January 29, 2006 7:16 AM
5th out of 15 in STS

Beaten by:
Civic SI
Dodge Neon
Impreza 2.5RS
Mazda Protege

I coned my 2 faster runs of 47.470 and 47.716 all in all considering this was my first autox in a year. This should be a great season. The boundries of the car are incredibly further than they used to be and I still havn't found the limits, the difference is amazing from what the car was stock to what it is now. Hopefully I'll be able to use the cars abilities more. It's incredibly fun and I got an exhillerating run out of it. The kind that leaves you shaking afterwards from the adrenaline rush.

Control arm bushings should be installed before my next autocross and i'm hoping to get a rear strut brace in. I've decided not to install a short throw shifter, as with the current powerband of the vehicle I have power everywhere I need it in second gear, leaving shifting time to being the least of my worries.

So instead that money will go towards some Redline MTF, ATE Superblue brake fluid, and some stainless brake lines for the front.

Setup:
Falken Azenis RT-615's 205/50R15 on stick rims.
H&R Springs
KYB AGX's (1 in front, 8 in rear, rear will be dropped 1 to reduce hoping)
DC Sports Front Strut Brace
Addco Rear Swaybar
Prothand Lower Motor Mount
Arospeed Header
AEM CAI
Thermal Cat-back

Future Plans:
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid
Poly Control Arm Bushings
Poly Upper Motor Mounts
Poly Transmission Mounts

-Chris

Re: Solo2, STS isn't so bad regionally
Sunday, January 29, 2006 11:45 AM
Put a tie bar on that rear sway bar so you can bump the front shocks back up to 4 and prevent body roll. I've never had a problem with hopping on my tires, maybe you are pushing the Azenis too hard.

I've tried my AGX's (with H&R's) on all the settings, and 4/8 work the best for me.

Monday, January 30, 2006 5:20 AM
who makes tie-bars for our cars, or would it have to be fabricated?

the hopping happened in a slightly off camber turn, you can feel the rear tires hopping. I was told that this was due to the suspension being too stiff.

-Chris

Monday, January 30, 2006 7:47 AM
You have to fabricate a tie bar, but its really easy to do. If you don't want to make a custom bracket for the rear sway bar and tie bar, you can just put it on the bolts for you bar's endlinks(the control fx bar was designed for this).

Event's guide on building a rear tie bar He lists the places to purhcase the parts. Just order your radius rod about an 1" -1.5" shorter than the distance between your two end links.

Monday, January 30, 2006 11:03 AM
thanks for the info zach!

next question using Event's instructions with the larger bracket, is the tiebar STS legal?

It says no lateral braces that ar non-standard. However I'm reading from others that using heim joints, and considering the swaybar brackets don't provide chasis stiffening (like many civic setups). They are legal and considered along the lines of a lower STB.

Is this correct, or am I completely off.

I'd prefer to stay completely legal than dangle on the edge, but I do see how a lower tiebar would make a significant difference and most likely stop my hop issue which I'm currently thinking is due to the trailing arm flexing under hard cornering.

-Chris

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 8:32 AM
to answer my own question. Because heim joints are used, the piece is considered along the lines of a strutbar and is legal for use because it only provides lateral regidity on one axis and not torsional.

-Chris

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 9:39 PM
IamRascal wrote:to answer my own question. Because heim joints are used, the piece is considered along the lines of a strutbar and is legal for use because it only provides lateral regidity on one axis and not torsional.

Yep.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 11:04 PM
iamrascal what are your tire pressure settings? i have about the same setup and in loose surfaces i ran 7in the rear and 2 in the frint and i had my rear tire pressure at 47psi and the front at 42. that is what i ran on sealed black top.

see ya!

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 1:53 AM
14.7 ANTI-SWAY BARS wrote:Non-standard lateral members which connect between the brackets for the bar are not permitted.

It sounds like they are illegal to me.

Then again they connect between the endlinks not the actual brackets so maybe so?

||Click to visit my Cardomain page|Omaha Racing|Nebraska Region SCCA||
Wednesday, February 01, 2006 10:12 AM
Tommy Boy ( Brutus ) wrote:
14.7 ANTI-SWAY BARS wrote:Non-standard lateral members which connect between the brackets for the bar are not permitted.

It sounds like they are illegal to me.

Then again they connect between the endlinks not the actual brackets so maybe so?

An example of that rule is Illegal

So for all intensive purposes our tie bars connect at the end links not the actual bar brackets. I've also found that STS Civics at the national level have been running like this for years without being protested.

The problem like many wordings in the SCCA rulebook is what defines the "swaybar" brackets.

-Chris

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 9:27 PM
adding this thread to my email list

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search