Autocross help. - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Autocross help.
Thursday, February 09, 2006 9:36 AM
I want to try autocross but I have no idea where to start. I guess first I need to know what class I will be in. Can anyone help me with this? My mod's are listed in my reg.

Thanks.

Re: Autocross help.
Thursday, February 09, 2006 11:19 AM
Class = STS Street Touring, welcome to hell, you'll have a firm disgust for civics by the time you decide to slap on some r-compounds and move to DSP .

Anywho STS isn't that bad regionally and you should do decent. Just find your local reagion www.scca.org. Starting off you will be your toughest competition and learn to really drive your car.

Find out when the next autocross is and if they have online registration sign up.

Show up early like 30 minutes before registration opens, unload everything from your car that isn't held in by bolts or fasteners. The spare tire and jack are an exception and are allowed to be removed, remove your floormats as well.

Register your car, pay your entry fee, then take it to the tech inspection. At some point you'll also need to sign up to work as well, some do this at registration, some do it before the first group runs. They can tell you everything you need to know about working.

Your batter must be secure, throttle return works, and floormats out of the car at a minimum to pass tech inspection, they'll also check your tires and brake pressure.

Walk the course so you have a good idea of where your going, the region should have a novice walk to help you find a course in that sea of cones.

When you go to do your runs ask for an instructor to ride with you they'll ride along and let you know where you need to improve.

Welcome to the addiction!!!!

-Chris

Thursday, February 09, 2006 1:56 PM
Yep. And there are a few other things. Remember you're learning. Try not to get frustrated at yourself, and if you do, don't drive angry. Remember that although you're racing a clock, don't actually try to beat the clock. It sounds odd, but if you try too hard that's when things go south. It's like when you were a kid playing Super Mario or Sonic the Hedgehog. If you worried about the time, you messed up. But if you just sat back, let everything flow, it all worked itself out, right? Same with racing. It will come to you. I learned something when I first learned to race: Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast. Take your time, and like Rascal said, have an instructor go on your run with you. And if it's allowed, ride with the instructor -- in your car. When I first started, I sucked at it for the first year. I got frustrated. So I handed the keys to one of the veteran drivers, and I rode shotgun in my own car. I learned so much from that experinece and I guarantee it will work for anyone. Good luck.

Opfer benotigt. Keine Erfahrung notwendig.

Victims needed. No experience necessary.
Thursday, February 09, 2006 2:54 PM
So what puts me into the STS class, and what are R-compounds? Thanks for the help guys I'm looking forward to it.

Thursday, February 09, 2006 7:00 PM
the exhaust and larger than stock size rims/wheels put you in STS
R-compounds are a type of tire, but you cant use them in STS, street tires only

i'm gonna be starting my second season april 15th, and i cant wait
just be ready to catch some grief from people cuz you're runnning a Cav, it sucks but always seeems to happen
one thing i learned, is brake early, not hard, and try not to shift too much, run your gears out
other than that listen to what the others said and have fun, thats what this is about, having fun

Friday, February 10, 2006 5:38 AM
LiquidFireCavy (mdk) wrote:just be ready to catch some grief from people cuz you're runnning a Cav, it sucks but always seeems to happen

but you gotta admin the look on peoples faces when you beat them is priceless.

-Chris

Friday, February 10, 2006 5:39 AM
admit not admin*

need edit option

-Chris

Friday, February 10, 2006 7:06 AM
Yeah I can't wait. I have my brake kit coming, and a rear sway bar. Looking forward to stomping on some hondas.

Friday, February 10, 2006 11:11 AM
IamRascal wrote:
LiquidFireCavy (mdk) wrote:just be ready to catch some grief from people cuz you're runnning a Cav, it sucks but always seeems to happen

Amen to that...especially cocky mustang drivers

CACC BC Region - DSP
http:www.victoriamotorsports.ca
Friday, February 10, 2006 11:22 AM
Kinetik wrote:Yeah I can't wait. I have my brake kit coming, and a rear sway bar. Looking forward to stomping on some hondas.

is this a big brake kit or something like some new rotors?

The big brake kit would throw you into STX, but replacement rotors, pads and even stainless brake lines will keep you in STS.

-Chris

Friday, February 10, 2006 11:59 AM
oldskoolz24 wrote:
IamRascal wrote:

Amen to that...especially cocky mustang drivers

the best/worst round here is the cocky vette drivers, now i love vettes but these people cant drive for a damn
my first autox was the best, i pulled up to the line and this lil kid says to his mom "thats daddys car" an she says "whats he doing here, its a cavalier"
i was like wtf! then my next run as i pull up all she said was "damn!"

one more tip, dont use the clutch as a brake, leave the car in gear unless you are shifting

Friday, February 10, 2006 12:11 PM
I'm just changing the rotors to powerslotted, hawk pads, and stainless lines.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 9:03 PM
IamRascal wrote:

its even better when you blow them out of the water and you go and look at the times and you see your time was fast enough to win DSP

see ya!

Sunday, February 12, 2006 1:18 AM
novaracer wrote:
IamRascal wrote:

its even better when you blow them out of the water and you go and look at the times and you see your time was fast enough to win DSP

ZING!

CACC BC Region - DSP
http:www.victoriamotorsports.ca
Monday, February 13, 2006 5:13 PM
Quote:

Thats looks dandy, mighty dandy i say.......
wish i could have one of those one day..... ahhh ....

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav
Wednesday, February 15, 2006 6:53 AM
IamRascal wrote:Class = STS Street Touring, welcome to hell, you'll have a firm disgust for civics by the time you decide to slap on some r-compounds and move to DSP .

Anywho STS isn't that bad regionally and you should do decent. Just find your local reagion www.scca.org. Starting off you will be your toughest competition and learn to really drive your car.

Rascal forgot to mention that you should run in the Novice class first. Get an instructor driver and ride with other FWD people every chance you can.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search