The Art of Launching on Modern Street Tires - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
The Art of Launching on Modern Street Tires
Sunday, December 11, 2005 7:54 PM

So you think you've got your street killer dialed in just right. You've tried your hand at the stoplight shuffle with the street rats and lived to tell about it, but now it's time you move to the next level: the dragstrip.

If you're like most quarter-mile virgins, you've already convinced yourself that you'll have no problem coming off the line like Warren Johnson. You're in for a shock. Your typical late-model performance car, with its torquey V-8; and stiff, low-profile radial rubber, will prove more difficult to launch than a race-prepped vehicle sporting much more power. And all your practice on the boulevard will seem irrelevant after your first drag launch. It's a traction thing, and you're at a major disadvantage.

We aren't suggesting that you go out and drop a bundle on a set of sticky tires before you drop the hammer, but a little insight will go a long way in making sure you don't sit and spin while your opponent is charging the traps. There is an upside to this situation, however. If you can master the radial launch, you'll be well on your way to effectively piloting stickier, faster cars when the time comes.

Sixty-Foot Times

Measuring how effectively a car transitions from rest to motion is determined by its 60-foot performance. As the term implies, this is the time that elapses from rolling out of the starting beams to breaking the beams 60 feet down the dragstrip. Most racers consider this time to be crucial, particularly in class racing, where the two cars pitted against each other are generally capable of similar trap speeds. In which case, neither vehicle will have the ability to catch the other after a lazy launch.

To put it in perspective, a Top Fuel dragster will run the 60-foot clocks in about 0.75 second; a mid-10-second Camaro or Mustang with stock suspension and slicks will pull around 1.45, and a street-going 12-second Camaro or Mustang on a DOT sticky tire could pull a 1.80. Though a mild street car on radials often pulls well above a 2.2, much better performance is possible with practice and proper technique.

Tire Pressure

One of the novice's most common mistakes is reducing air pressure in street radials in hopes of better bite. This trick worked with bias-ply tires of yore, and it's standard procedure with racing slicks, but radials behave differently. Typically, passenger-car tires are designed to run 3035 psi. Lowering the pressure causes the tire to bulge abnormally at the contact patch and fools many people into believing that the contact patch has actually grown. What really happens is that the tread "cups" at the contact patch, pulling the center of the tire up and off of the pavement and resulting in less traction than would be available at the recommended operating pressure.

If you want more traction than your radials normally provide, then inflate them 5-10 psi more than the factory spec. To determine if your pressure tuning is heading in the right direction, find a dean piece of smooth pavement, and spin the tires across it. An even, dark patch indicates that you're using all of the tire. Dark on the edges and light in the middle means it's underinflated, while dark in the middle means overinflated.

The Burnout

This is another area where classic practices don't apply. Fight the temptation to lay down a tire-shredding, John Force-style burnout. Racing slicks require this kind of preparation, but radials don't. You'll needlessly combust thousands of miles worth of rubber in mere seconds and likely overheat the tires, nulling their bite and exacerbating the traction handicap.

When you pull up to the burnout box, drive around the water. Moving through it can leave water in the tread, which will ultimately run down to the contact patch when you stage. Of course, a big burnout would undoubtedly vaporize the water, but we want to avoid huge smoke shows. All you need to do is "clean" the tires with a small burnout, brushing off pebbles, sand, and other contaminants that might be between the tread and the track surface. On a stick-shift car, simply drop the clutch and spin the tires as you approach the beams; with an automatic, hold the brakes just long enough to start the rubber spinning, and then release the binders and spin the tires to the line. Remember not to go through the staging beams, as you'll likely be disqualified or, at the very least, embarrassed.

Get into the Groove

One of the big differences between track and street is the condition of the surface: not potholes or cracks in the pavement but the amount of rubber on the track and its various characteristics. This varies from track to track, day to day, and hour to hour. To complicate matters, the consistency of the surface will be patterned in longitudinal "grooves" - the tire tracks from previous cars. As a lone wolf (without a crew to walk the track and advise you), you'll have to determine where the best groove is, and line the car up accordingly.

To become truly proficient at this, you'll need experience, but the basics are simple: Find the tracks that are dark and even; avoid bare patches, ripples, and choppy sections. Sometimes, there won't be a groove at all; if possible, walk up to the line and check the surface firsthand before racing.

The Launch

Don't let adrenaline get the best of you. Once you've lighted the first bulb, take a breath and focus. To master the radial launch, you'll need to overcome the temptation to drop the hammer when the lights come down. With a manual transmission, pull into the second set of beams and bring the engine to 2,000 rpm. When the lights come down, drop the clutch, but do not apply the throttle. The car will lunge forward briefly, and just as the nose begins to come back down, lean into the throttle. You'll have to practice this procedure because launch rpm and throttle application will vary depending on the car, the tires, and surrounding circumstances.

For automatics, hold the brake with your left foot and raise rpm with your right one until the engine just begins to load the torque converter. When the lights come down, release the brake, and let the car jump forward before applying more throttle. Again, you'll have to practice to achieve the proper balance between bog and spin.

These guidelines will get you started toward your ultimate goal, with just a touch of tire spin coming out of the hole. Now the only thing between you and sub-2.0 60-foot times is practice.

Source:Hot Rod, Feb 1999 v52 i2 p71(3)

Radial racing: the art of launching on modern street rubber. (drag racing) Terry McGean.

Re: The Art of Launching on Modern Street Tires
Sunday, December 11, 2005 7:58 PM
Not a bad read! Good post.

Sunday, December 11, 2005 8:24 PM
I stopped reading after the tire pressure and burnout part. This post is got mis info in it. There is good points, butmixed with bad ones as well. Not really good help. You take it from one extreme to put it to another.

FU Tuning

Monday, December 12, 2005 4:13 AM
John Higgins wrote:I stopped reading after the tire pressure and burnout part. This post is got mis info in it. There is good points, butmixed with bad ones as well. Not really good help. You take it from one extreme to put it to another.

Yea, I agree. I know firsthand that tire pressure is better around 25 psi than a tire at normal or (gasp) higher pressure.

Monday, December 12, 2005 7:52 AM
I think he was just trying to make a statement that there is a point where too low will cause more problems then benefits. Starting higher and going lower grauduatly to see the differnce it makes.

Monday, December 12, 2005 9:36 AM
see the general launch strategy that he lists might have something to it, something at least worth a shot next season, but i know for a fact my best 60's have been at 15 psi... higher pressure may well work on a rwd car where the weight transfer is different, so i won't call that advice "wrong" just "wrong for US". Launching really comes down to practice and experimentation... people can give you tips til the cows come home but its about what works best for you.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Monday, December 12, 2005 11:00 AM
5 Grand and dump the clutch!!

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, December 12, 2005 12:16 PM
Jackalope wrote:5 Grand and dump the clutch!!
Cuz the strip is a billion times more fun with 2 snapped axles!

Monday, December 12, 2005 1:08 PM
YUP !! how did you guess?

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 10:30 PM
Jackalope wrote:5 Grand and dump the clutch!!

Damn, I only drop at 3500 rpms. lol

Thursday, December 15, 2005 9:29 AM
3400-3600 has always been awesome for me, below that I just bog and more than that I keep them spinning.

I keep revving it from 3200-3600 and feather the clutch between 3400-3600 (wherever it catches) and I've been getting awesome launches.

I just have to get a new launch dialed in for the nitrous since that's my love now.

N2O + Bolt-ons = 220Hp/250Tq

Coming Soon:HpTunersPro, EagleConnectingRods, WiescoPistons, 13sec2200

Saturday, December 17, 2005 11:27 AM
Quote:

find a dean piece of smooth pavement, and spin the tires across it. An even, dark patch indicates that you're using all of the tire. Dark on the edges and light in the middle means it's underinflated, while dark in the middle means overinflated

I think the point he was getting at was that people just go to the track and drop the tire pressure with out really knowing. If you check it using the method shown then who knows adding tire pressure might be needed, or higher. All in all I would have to say that it is a good read and definitly worth trying my next time at the track.

03z24
Saturday, December 17, 2005 6:22 PM
Calco wrote:
Quote:

find a dean piece of smooth pavement, and spin the tires across it. An even, dark patch indicates that you're using all of the tire. Dark on the edges and light in the middle means it's underinflated, while dark in the middle means overinflated

I think the point he was getting at was that people just go to the track and drop the tire pressure with out really knowing. If you check it using the method shown then who knows adding tire pressure might be needed, or higher. All in all I would have to say that it is a good read and definitly worth trying my next time at the track.

See if you know anything about track racing you will know street tires at street pressure will never hook as good at the track as they do on the street. So you should always drop seom pressure.
Yes you should do this in steps knowing where you are dropping it to etc...
When I go to the track I have a pressure I always drop to see how the car runs and make adjustments from there.

FU Tuning

Monday, December 19, 2005 7:31 AM
i cut several 2.0 60ft times yesterday with 30-31 psi in my tires

the best air pressure in the tires is when you can do a short burn out , and have the widest darkest tire patch on the ground

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 7:20 AM
Bballjamal (Cav-AtL) wrote:3400-3600 has always been awesome for me, below that I just bog and more than that I keep them spinning.

I keep revving it from 3200-3600 and feather the clutch between 3400-3600 (wherever it catches) and I've been getting awesome launches.

I just have to get a new launch dialed in for the nitrous since that's my love now.

Wow.......

N20 much yield like NO power from the get go ..............

I SERIOUSLY drop it at around 1700rpm ......... anything higher...... spool and burn .........

and at 1700 if I just gun it when I get off the clutch I just spool and burn again ..or BOGGGGGGGGGGGGG..... Kinda annoying ......

haha 3500 ....... I remember those days............ I could launch the car HOWEVER I wanted before boost...... I'd yield the SAME results.......... 2.2 60' all day with no boost............. and a 16.0 @ 84MPH all day.................. with boost.......

Now.....
one run I'll run a 15.0 the next a 14.6 the next a 14.9.......... all over the place....... and that 1700 launch was at 6 psi ....................

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
14.224 @ 102.01MPH @ 5.5psi.... 2.3 60'
Next: Civic JDM B16a2 w/GSR LSD Turbo - Goal 300whp 1400lbs...
Wednesday, December 21, 2005 10:45 AM
What about you Ecotec guys, where do you launch, and do you just drop it?
Monday, December 26, 2005 9:06 AM
l launch anywhere between 3700-4200 RPM. it's kind of a large gap but it varies sometimes because of different conditions and crap

with that i have cut a 2.0 60' and consistant 2.1s. (this is with just bolts ons)

but some people can't launch that high, and just spin the crap out of their tires. i know some who launch at like 2500 and that works for them. so i guess it's just up to the driver to figure out what's best for them.

Monday, December 26, 2005 12:50 PM
with my automatic i cant get better then 2.3 60' wether i just mash it off the line or i launch at 2900 doesnt matter i cant break that time

The one, the only, ME.
Monday, December 26, 2005 11:52 PM
^^ What are the other specs on that stall and what tires?

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 6:59 PM
like what specs are you looking for really all i know is its a 2900 stall converter built for 600 hp with nitrous cant remember without nitrous and the tires are good year assurance triple treads, that im sure is the main culprite but they are awesome for every day rain snow ice driving

The one, the only, ME.
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 8:36 AM
I launched my Cav at a little over 3000 RPM, and when I stage I hold the brake and bring the rpm up with my right foot, like a heel-toe shift, and at the same time I let the clutch out until it starts to pull, and when we go green I just let the clutch all the way out as I mash the throttle. It's not the best way, and a lot of you will flame me for it, but it works for me as it gives the same effect as loading the TC on an automatic. I run right around 2.1 60' times. By the way, I use BFG drag radials.

Thursday, December 29, 2005 9:15 PM
thats it burn it before you move launch at 3500 i dont just drop put realse it smoothly if you spin dont go to the cluch use your other foot
only engauge the cluch once a little tire spin is okay you know one or two revs of the tire
but an all out peelout is bad
when you step on the cluch on the launch you are breaking your momentum better to pedal the gas
Sunday, January 08, 2006 2:35 AM
i usually run 24 psi in my street tires and im launching 2.1 60' times with minimal to no spin. i usually power brake it to 1700 and ill get no spin.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 9:33 PM
I had 1.90 60 foot times with a 90 formula 350 and a set of drag radials running 32psi and the car wasn't even fast, just had a low first gear in the four speed auto. My old altered cut 1.60 60 foot times, of course it had 14X32 slicks and a BBC engine+PGtrans.
Friday, February 10, 2006 6:13 AM
03 eco
on stock 14's @24-26 PSI
4400 rpm that is set on a 2 stage limiter with my MSD on a pushbutton switch.
2.2 60fts

but i know that you can break 2.0's it's just a matter of practice

2.2 L Ecotec, P&P Head, Stage 3 Comp Cams, Supertech 76 lb Spring kit, Supertech Oversized Valves, Wiseco 8.9:1 CR Pistons, Eagle H-Beam Rods, Home-Built Turbo Kit T3/T4 57 Trim Intercooled, 78 lb/hr Racetronix Hi-Z injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Racetronix f body fuel pump,MEGASQUIRT MS3 + MS3X Finally street tuned on 21 lbs! Now if only I could get it to hook....
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search