LN2 - LD9 swap, what class autodross? - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LN2 - LD9 swap, what class autodross?
Friday, March 03, 2006 11:18 AM
I'm considering swapping the LD9 into my '97 RS that I just bought. The engine has high miles and as far as I know it's completely stock on the inside, and it has a cat back and intake. I thought about building the motor up, but I also want to autocross, and it seems the best way to make more power would be swap an LD9. Now, since that motor was available in the Cavy in '97, does that allow me to install the engine and still run in STS? The rules as I remember them were a little confusing to me.

Be kind to dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Re: LN2 - LD9 swap, what class autodross?
Friday, March 03, 2006 3:39 PM
How would they know it was swapped? Do they run you vin?

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Friday, March 03, 2006 6:30 PM
its mostly honesty
but if you go to nationals they'll check
as far as i know, if the part was available as an OEM part then yes you can
but dont quote me on that

Saturday, March 04, 2006 5:34 AM
That's what I thought. But I remembered seeing in the rules that - something to the effect of - if swapping a motor from a different trim level available in that model year - it must be a complete conversion - or something like that. Does that mean I have to completely convert my car to a Z24? That doesn't make sense. And would suck. I might as well buy a Z24.

Saturday, March 04, 2006 8:15 AM
www.sccafourms.com

Saturday, March 04, 2006 1:19 PM
If you run in street prepared you can swap engines if the car is on the same line in the rule book (via the Update/Backdate rule). So in you case swapping a complete LD9 would put you in DSP. You only have to do the complete car conversion if you want to run in stock class.

CACC BC Region - DSP
http:www.victoriamotorsports.ca
Saturday, March 04, 2006 1:32 PM
I have no idea what DSP is. I suppose I should look this stuff up. I don't want to go competitively like all serious and all, but I'm really thinking about doing th eswap instead of rebuilding the LN2 since the LD9 would give more power stock than the LN2 ever will without boost. Atleast for the money.

Sunday, March 05, 2006 3:20 PM
DSP is a huge money pit. Just do the swap and run DS. Nobody in your region is going to care (and most probably wouldn't know).

Monday, March 06, 2006 12:45 PM
Zach wrote:DSP is a huge money pit. Just do the swap and run DS. Nobody in your region is going to care (and most probably wouldn't know).

...but its a fun money pit

CACC BC Region - DSP
http:www.victoriamotorsports.ca
Monday, March 06, 2006 3:50 PM
Tuning in general is a money pit. But it's whatever. I'll give it some thought and we'll see. Thanks for the help.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 7:46 AM
Well, 3rd Gen Cavy's for one are in G Stock with the LD9, trust me you DON'T want to run in D Stock (SRT4's, Cobalt SS Supercharged....yeah...)

Get the rule book from www.scca.com

At the ABSOLUTE WORST you will be in SM or Street Mod, I would imagine that if you swap in the ENTIRE drivetrain and electronics from the LD9 you would be able to run in G Stock, at least at the regional level.

From the 2006 Solo Rulebook for Stock category cars:

"Option package conversions may be performed between specific vehicles of a particular make and model, but only between configurations from within a particular model year. Such conversions must be totally complete and the resultant car must meet all requirements of this Section. Alternate parts listed in a factory parts manual are not authorized unless their use is specifically referenced in the factory service manual or in a service bulletin for a specific model."

So, by that paragraph, I interpret (granted i'm no expert) that if you use ALL the parts that make a Z24 a Z24, you could turn your RS into a *1997* Z24 and still compete in G Stock.

This would include all drivetrain parts, suspension setup, wheel size and so forth.

So, if a '97 Z24 has a rear stabilizer bar, you *have* to add one (or snag a '97 Z24 rear swing-arm, probably the easier to do).

Money-wise, you're best off staying in H-Stock with the LN2

-------------------------------------------------
Sleeper style, they don't see it coming that way.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 8:33 AM
That was the way I got it too. I didn't see the point in trying to match wheel size, body parts, all that noise. I wasn't sure how different the suspension would be. Sounds like a big steaming pain in the arse to me. So what's H-Stock? I know what STS is, did they change the classes again?

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 11:34 AM
H-Stock:

Mostly older model civics, Fiero 4-cylinder I think falls in there, Mini Cooper (Non S) and the like.

-------------------------------------------------
Sleeper style, they don't see it coming that way.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search