Video Cameras in Car - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Video Cameras in Car
Monday, March 06, 2006 5:03 PM
Just had a question. Do racetracks permit people to have video cameras in the back seat taping track run?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2265283

Re: Video Cameras in Car
Monday, March 06, 2006 5:13 PM
Yeah, they do it all the time. How do you think they get the sweet in-car shots for ESPN and Speed Channel?

Be kind to dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Monday, March 06, 2006 6:21 PM
If you have a proper camera mount, they are usually allowed...and I don't mean just duct taping the camera to the passenger seat

CACC BC Region - DSP
http:www.victoriamotorsports.ca
Monday, March 06, 2006 6:49 PM
I was thinking Elmers glue.

Monday, March 06, 2006 6:52 PM
haha, I was thinking about seatbelting a tripod to my back seat with two legs on the floor? I guess that wouldn't fly. What mounts do you guys/girls use for your videos?

Monday, March 06, 2006 7:02 PM
idsay take out your head rest on yourp assenger side seat, then strap a camera on there

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Tuesday, March 07, 2006 12:02 AM
they have mounts that attach to the headrest
as far as in-car, i think thats bout it
then they have the sticky pods, for the outside

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 12:32 AM
I was working on a camera mount a while ago that went in between the front seats.
It had a tripod head on it but I took it off for the moment. It worked on my car, a land crusier, and a scion. I havent tested it on other cars yet. the only drawback is that you have to have your seats at the same setting which is not a big deal for me.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 12:34 AM
I also made my own sticky pod type thing. It used suction cups, I never got around to trying it out but I left it on a window and I pulled it off after 1 hour and it was still really stuck on there.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 6:53 PM
In an older Mustang I helped a friend build for club racing we mounted the camera on the harness bar of the roll cage. Another option is a dash mount, or even a windshield mount like police cars have. Those are expensive, but completely self contained and can be programmed to record vehicle speed, which is good for road racing if you want to know how well the car is running in different areas of the track.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 8:33 PM
Here is mine again since worldisround won't let me host images

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 11:37 PM
I know this would look ridiculous, but how about helmet cams, like the one that Tony H@wk has his name all over. I've borrowed one from my friend when I went on a snowboarding trip. Worked great, plus, if you attach it to your helmet/head, you can playback everything you looked at.

**CarDomain Update 3/06 Click on SIG**
Wednesday, March 08, 2006 5:55 AM
SoloPerformance.com

Products > CameraMounts

Done.

I reccomend the headrest mount, very easy to use and you don't have to do a lumbar roll to turn it on when you start.

Those guys also help keep sccaforums.com up and going as well.

-Chris

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 8:47 AM
very cool, thanks.

Monday, March 20, 2006 4:39 PM
i got one for the d-i-y guys/gals.

simple, cost only 10bucks to make, effective on taping the run.driver, but not gauges.

all you need is a mini tripod from bestbuy/mejier and a drill.

i used my windshield defrost vent, but you can put it about anywhere.

Sunday, March 26, 2006 5:12 AM
I'm in germany, and as of last year (or maybe the year before) they don't allow cams on the nurburgring anymore, so we gotta be sneaky.
Sunday, March 26, 2006 4:11 PM
this whole thread reminds me of "getaway in stockholm". if you have seen it then you know what i am talking about. if not, it is rsx's, vipers, rustangs, camaro's etc. all running from the cops and drifting/racing around town. its not a couple of retarded 16 year olds who race from a light, they have their stuff organized and get it all on tape. what they did (i read on their website) is put a mini cam in the trunk key hole, and another in one headlight. there is a whole series of stockholm movies, i would recomend them if you are looking for ideas/a badass racing video (each about 30 min long)

there ya go man

-94Custom
"if its not stock, its custom"
Sunday, March 26, 2006 4:18 PM
sorry, heres the link.

Getaway in Stockhom

-94Custom
"if its not stock, Its custom"
Monday, March 27, 2006 9:01 PM
I know what you're talking about, there's also Porsches. ...And they're proffesional drivers from various manufacturers (from what I've heard). Not to promote street-racing or anything, but they're pretty bad@$$ videos. Also, the Ghost Rider, a biker who does the same thing around the Stolkholm area.
Thursday, April 20, 2006 11:00 PM
Here's one that I put together:

About 30-35 to assemble... A little shaky, but I have another length of aluminum tube that spans both seats...

Friday, April 21, 2006 4:47 PM
The arm that raises the camera is multiplying the camera shake. Try mounting just the head on the bar. If the head doesn't come off, look for a tripod with a removable head and use the head only on the bar.

Saturday, April 22, 2006 3:01 PM
http://www.chasecam.com

I purchased mine from there, can mount it almost anywhere inside the car. Works great for autoX, track days and drag racing.... I typically mount it to the sunroof

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Saturday, April 22, 2006 5:58 PM
MadJack wrote:The arm that raises the camera is multiplying the camera shake. Try mounting just the head on the bar. If the head doesn't come off, look for a tripod with a removable head and use the head only on the bar.

Took the mount off today and drove around for a bit. Found out that its the headrest itself that is not totally stable. W/ or w/out the camera mount, it shakes. I'll just remove the center rear seatbelt and put a little backwards pressure on the aluminum bar to hold things stable. (I don't ever have passengers, so this should work.)

Saturday, April 22, 2006 7:40 PM
Cavfan1 uses the headrest on his cavy as well.... Although to keep it from moving he uses a bungie cord. Seems to work alright for him

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search