i dont get it - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
i dont get it
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 8:03 PM
98' z24,5 spd
11800 miles
iceman cai
enki 17" 10 spoke racing wheels
10.73 in the 1/8
is my car that whooped this soon? did i get ripped on the cai or is it the 17,s killin my time?

Dark for fear of failure
An inner gloom as wide as an eye and fermenting
Roiling hate
Death gripped my veins
Unveiling rancid petals
Flowering forth foul nectar
The space between a blink and a tear
Death blooms.-mudvayne

Re: i dont get it
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 8:04 PM
60 foot time?

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 8:18 PM
not sure. ill get the slip out of my car and put up all the info tomarrow. my engine shouldnt be gettin tired this soon should it?

Dark for fear of failure
Roiling hate
Death gripped my veins
Unveiling rancid petals
Death blooms.-mudvayne
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 8:39 PM
doesn't matter how long its been... its what happened from there to here that matters. engine's go bad at 350,000miles and at 60,000miles. it all depends on what happened...

post the rest of your slip and i can offer up my analysis

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 10:17 AM
Its either the 60' times or you might be expecting to much from your cia. Its just a simple bolt on thats not going to give you tons of power. Try a few more mods and see how you do.

~Boost. Its what's for dinner!~

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 11:09 AM
the 17's will affect your time, but not nearly as much as you'd think. If your not having traction problems look at other possibilities.

If you post your entire time slip many people here can tell you what you need to work on.

-Chris

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 11:26 AM
well, if we knew what you ran before the intake, we could maybe give you an answer...

My bet, is that your 60' times were probably pretty bad... and you just need more practice. Because 90% of the time, thats the answer to everyone's question of why they weren't faster/quicker.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Wednesday, March 22, 2006 11:46 AM
IamRascal wrote:the 17's will affect your time, but not nearly as much as you'd think. If your not having traction problems look at other possibilities.

If you post your entire time slip many people here can tell you what you need to work on.

True before my last trip to the track my best times were run with my 17" konigs lol, granted I didn't run the same day with my traction T/As so there might have been other factors but I was running about the same with either. I think they type of tire you have is the foremost factor effecting the time when it comes to wheels.

15.149 @ 91.26mph 3-18-2006
Wednesday, March 22, 2006 5:24 PM
well im on bfg scorchers so i dont think its the tires.here is the time slip

reaction- .611
i1-2.355 (i guess this is the 60' )
i2-6.971
E.T.-10.700
mph- 66.774

Dark for fear of failure
Roiling hate
Death gripped my veins
Unveiling rancid petals
Death blooms.-mudvayne
Thursday, March 23, 2006 10:07 PM
for real what did you expect with just a cold air intake unless you have some other things on your car that you haven't added to your profile. its gonna take more than some intake to get your time better. i know that for a fact i started out just like you with just an intake then i got my hands dirty and my pockets got lil empty. added a few things here and there and now i sit in mid 9's on the 1/8th. you rtime scan get better its just gonna take a lil effort and cash. how fast you want it to be depends on how much your willing to spend to make it that fast. what are your goals as far as times that you want? if you need any idea's click on my profile and view what i got done to my car. also just to let you know i ran the time below with everything on except the fuel pressure regulator, b&m short throw shifter, and the tranny mounts. so we'll just have to wait and see what i'll run when April rolls around. Don't worry man with each and every little thing you do performance wise your times will get better.
10:06 PM
30/Sep/05

Owner: Fernando Rios
Car: 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24
R/T ... .2408
60' ... 2.1460
330 ... 6.1850
1/8 ... 9.5423
MPH ... 73.63
Hope to run a 9.3 or 9.4 I'll post it April 6th
Friday, March 24, 2006 2:18 PM
did you port the stock manifold or get hte rsm one

Dark for fear of failure
Roiling hate
Death gripped my veins
Unveiling rancid petals
Death blooms.-mudvayne

Friday, March 24, 2006 3:55 PM
streetfighterz wrote:well im on bfg scorchers so i dont think its the tires.here is the time slip

reaction- .611
i2-6.971
E.T.-10.700
mph- 66.774

What was your tire pressure? What RPM did you launch at? Your 6ft is not that great, but have seen worse. What RPM did you shift at? Do you know if you were spinning? Did the car bogg off the line? The MPH sucks, but that does not mean it is the motor. In most cases it is driver, regardless of how good you think you might be.

FU Tuning

Friday, March 24, 2006 7:54 PM
John Higgins wrote:
streetfighterz wrote:well im on bfg scorchers so i dont think its the tires.here is the time slip

reaction- .611
i2-6.971
E.T.-10.700
mph- 66.774

What was your tire pressure? What RPM did you launch at? Your 6ft is not that great, but have seen worse. What RPM did you shift at? Do you know if you were spinning? Did the car bogg off the line? The MPH sucks, but that does not mean it is the motor. In most cases it is driver, regardless of how good you think you might be.

i launch at around 24 to 2700 rpm and it doesn't spin too much and shift at around 55 to 5800 rpms. the engine runs out of its power band at 5800 rpms ive heard. i know im not the best at the strip,or even close for that matter but i have done alot of street racing
and ive been driving a stick the whole time ive had my license( about 3 years ) abd ive been in my cav since summer of 04 so i know how to handle my car, though i will admit that i need lots of practice, im just asking what will get me in the low 9's.

Dark for fear of failure
Roiling hate
Death gripped my veins
Unveiling rancid petals
Death blooms.-mudvayne
Friday, March 24, 2006 11:18 PM
SHIFT AT REDLINE not 5800. shifting at 5800 is whats hurting you
Saturday, March 25, 2006 6:45 AM
jason wrote:SHIFT AT REDLINE not 5800. shifting at 5800 is whats hurting you

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
Saturday, March 25, 2006 8:00 AM
oh' so does that mean the sloidred or the little dots right at 6000

Dark for fear of failure
Roiling hate
Death gripped my veins
Unveiling rancid petals
Death blooms.-mudvayne
Saturday, March 25, 2006 11:30 AM
jason wrote:SHIFT AT REDLINE not 5800. shifting at 5800 is whats hurting you

As stated above. That is your problem. I usually shift out of first around there, but the rest of the gear I take them right up to 6300-6400RPM. Even if the peak power is below that, you do not want to shift to early and fall way below the power band.

FU Tuning

Saturday, March 25, 2006 11:55 AM
aight i see what you mean that makes sense.weel ill get back to the track and try what you guys said. thanks for the help and ill post the slips

Dark for fear of failure
Roiling hate
Death gripped my veins
Unveiling rancid petals
Death blooms.-mudvayne
Saturday, March 25, 2006 12:32 PM
shift right before the rev limiter everytime

get as close as you humanly can

if you don't hit it once in a while, you;re not trying hard enough.

I shift right at 6500rpm on my ecotec and my best 1/4 mile to date is 14.91 @ 90mph with a pretty crappy 2.1 60' (I know i can do better)

always shift as high as you can

Sunday, March 26, 2006 5:57 AM
a great man once said "the best shift point is when the power in the next gear is equal to or greater than the power in the current gear. since this almost never happens, just take it to redline."

In short, gearing > powerband... almost all modern cars are geared to make use of the full RPM range all the way to redline. The only time you may need to start playing with different shift points is if you do something to significantly change where the powerband is (ie: cams ), or change the gearing (through a ring and pinion swap, or anchange in the outer diameter of the tires).

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Sunday, March 26, 2006 7:02 PM
where do you guys launch at

Dark for fear of failure
Roiling hate
Death gripped my veins
Unveiling rancid petals
Death blooms.-mudvayne

Sunday, March 26, 2006 8:42 PM
yup well i drove an automatic with shifplus and got a 9.4 out of it with CAI, pulley, Full Exhaust, Shiftplus.. when i only had the CAI and the "tip" i ran a 10.2 this motor has now 140,000 .. it's broken down now only because im a retard and dont know how to torque bolts properly.. but i used to launch it a 2- 2300 grand .... good luck
2.4l
Monday, March 27, 2006 7:25 AM
i had just a intake and engine mounts

RT .012
60' 2.02
1/8 mile 9.82
mph 71.23

stock Z24 5 speed just intake and engine mounts...............

Monday, March 27, 2006 7:26 AM
i launch around 2200 -3500 depending on the prep of the track

Monday, March 27, 2006 4:50 PM
i guess my car is just whooped
oh well , ive been needing an excuse to do a build up and swap

Dark for fear of failure
Roiling hate
Death gripped my veins
Unveiling rancid petals
Death blooms.-mudvayne
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search