How dumb is autocrossing in an automatic? - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How dumb is autocrossing in an automatic?
Thursday, March 02, 2006 12:02 PM
I've got a friend with a Prelude who autocrosses, and I was wondering about going to an event with him over the summer. The thing is though, I have the three-sped auto... I know there's not much shifting involved in autocrossing, but would trying it in an auto be really, really stupid?

I was happy when I heard my car ran 10s. Then I found out that was 0-60.

Re: How dumb is autocrossing in an automatic?
Thursday, March 02, 2006 12:12 PM
Ask Event. He has an automatic and he kicks ass. Auto cross is more the driver then the car. A woman here at works husband races a 3 cyl Geo Metro auto cross and beats 911's with his times. Its all in the driver.

Hey Event !! Tell him.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, March 02, 2006 12:43 PM
You can autocross with an automatic just fine. It takes a little getting used to though. My car, unfortunately, is an automatic.

Things to remember:
1. Put your shifter into 2nd gear and leave it.
2. Get back on the gas before you think you should (because there will be a nice little delay while it shifts down to first and then back to second).

How could you not have fun doing this:

Thursday, March 02, 2006 12:44 PM
Doing this: (second try since we don't have an edit button)

Thursday, March 02, 2006 1:58 PM
why would it be stupid to autocross an auto?

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Thursday, March 02, 2006 1:59 PM
Better question:

Is it stupid to have fun?

Go out and have fun, not everyone at an autocross is there to be extremely competitive. A good portion of the people that show up are there to have fun and enjoy their cars.

I've seen everything from auto 240 volvos to the new C6 Z06. As long as you want to do it and have fun doing it, there's nothing wrong or dumb about it.

Zach: there will be an edit button in the future, Dave mentioned it in the General forum .

-Chris

Thursday, March 02, 2006 2:01 PM
My first autocross was in an automatic. I had a blast. Ask yourself, where else can you drive balls out like Mario An - frickin - dretti and not busted by the fuzz?

Be kind to dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Thursday, March 02, 2006 6:43 PM
do not leave your auto trans in 2nd gear and rev the S hit out of it like that. Take it from someone who has done frequent 4t40e change outs.

01 Z24 Turbo /// First Reflashed Turbo AUTO MMMM YUMMY
Friday, March 03, 2006 12:08 PM
OK. I just felt like an auto, esp. the threespeed, would be too lazy and unresponsive to really autox, but I guess you guys are all right: it's about fun and driving. So maybe I'll try it after all, I'll keep ya posted.

I was happy when I heard my car ran 10s. Then I found out that was 0-60.
Friday, March 03, 2006 12:27 PM
my best suggestion is to add a large trans cooler to it

and go out and enjoy your self

with a auto trans you can shift sooner getting out of a corner if needed , since all you gott do is bump the lever up

Sunday, March 05, 2006 5:32 AM
Hey drag, your scaring me with the pic and the tongue thingy!!!LOL

Watch out there nah!

Sunday, March 05, 2006 3:16 PM
dragracemyz24 wrote:do not leave your auto trans in 2nd gear and rev the S hit out of it like that. Take it from someone who has done frequent 4t40e change outs.

Your not going to be reving the $%^! out of it. Most autocrosses are less than 45mph. Also, he is using the 3t40.

97cavie24ls wrote:my best suggestion is to add a large trans cooler to it

and go out and enjoy your self

with a auto trans you can shift sooner getting out of a corner if needed , since all you gott do is bump the lever up

Don't worry about adding a trans cooler unless you are going to be autocrossing every month or couple of weeks. There is no need to move the lever around while on the track unless you are topping out 2nd gear. If you put it in 1st it will automatically shift up to 2nd. Like I said, just leave it in 2nd (even though it will freely shift between first and second on its own).

The reason you don't want to leave it in Drive is because you need an instant throttle response when going through tight parts of the course, like slaloms. Also, your transmission would upshift to 3rd when you let off the gas and then downshift once you got back into the gas, leading to unnecessary shifts and wear on your bands, etc.

Sunday, March 05, 2006 5:21 PM
can someone explain autocrossing to me
Sunday, March 05, 2006 5:55 PM
Cavi Power wrote:can someone explain autocrossing to me

kind of like a Nascar road course. you make turns.
people setup a course with orange cones. and then you go fast thru the course witout hitting any cones. fstest time wins

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, March 05, 2006 9:23 PM
I am not going to sweet doing Auto-X this year with my auto, the Auto-Trans Interceptor redeems my car for being an auto, just turn up the pressure to like 50% and leave it in 2nd gear and fly.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 3:20 PM
its actually easier you can concentrate on driving rather than shifting

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Saturday, April 08, 2006 2:12 AM
BlackyK wrote:I am not going to sweet doing Auto-X this year with my auto, the Auto-Trans Interceptor redeems my car for being an auto, just turn up the pressure to like 50% and leave it in 2nd gear and fly.

doesnt that defeat the purpose of the interceptor? if u leave it in second it wont be able to shift anything faster because its in second...

or does it help i from 1 to 2 and 2 to 1?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search