Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) tells us how to launch!! - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) tells us how to launch!!
Saturday, April 08, 2006 10:11 PM
Well,
Got one 2.3x 60ft and the rest 2.4-2.5 with one (ouch) 2.6 60ft times at the track. Recap, i'm running an 01 s/c cavy with susp mods, 5spd, and some grippier advan a032s up front. Best run of 14.6 so far this year. Not up to my last years 14.4 with a high 2.2x (best to date..but on 10year old street tires). I have been playing with the tire pressure on those tires, but haven't dipped below 25lbs, and still get mad wheel hop.

enlighten us on how you get it done!!

Nate

Evolution of Cavyboy-->C22t--> C24na--->c24s/c
1995 Cavalier W/2k1 Engine
GM S/C 13.940@99.78pmh w/2.068 60ft

Re: Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) tells us how to launch!!
Sunday, April 09, 2006 12:51 AM
1. Put slicks on the car/set air pressure about 9-10 psi.
2. Then, get in the water box.
3. Pull the E-brake
4. Shift to 2nd gear.
5. Rev it up to 6000 rpm.
6. drop the clutch and keep spinning till they smoke.
7. slowly start dropping the e-brake and get out of the water box spinning.
8. STOP, and try the tires in 1st to make sure they stick.
9. Stage up.
10. Rev it up to about 5500-6000 rpm, and ride it as fast as you can.

Those are the 10 basics in launching and liking it.
One more but it is NOT a necessary step, it is more to help you out.
have a stif neck, so you don't get whiplash!! lol

Best time:"""11.946""" @ 114.73 mph @17psi 1.83--60"
11 second daily driver!!!!
Race Related 727-561-9440
Shop of choice for your 11 second J body!

Also, built bottom end and or top end LSJ and L61's available.
13's ----12's ----11's ----10's

Re: Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) tells us how to launch!!
Sunday, April 09, 2006 3:51 PM
8. STOP, and try the tires in 1st to make sure they stick

Worst thing possible to do...........you loose the contract patch of the slicks

i ran my buddys S/C 2.4 5 speed and got 3 2.12 60's out of it and i had never driven it before

i went AROUND the water spun the Drag radials to the starting line launched around 2000

Re: Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) tells us how to launc
Monday, April 10, 2006 10:15 AM
lol..... i'm not sure if i should be confused or flattered lol....

anyway, my personal launch technique for regular street tires goes something like this:

Rev to about 3500
When the lights come down, bring the clutch up, and start feeding in more throttle
Modulate how fast you do this, so that you do it fast enough not to bog, and slow enough where you don't shock the tires and sping (although a little spin is ok, and actually usually results in the fastest 60's).

You can TRY doing a burnout to warm up the tires and see how you like the feel of it... it may work for you, it may not. People argue about it a lot but clearly, it works for some people and doesn't work for others.

I aired my Eagle RSA's down to 15 psi for my best 60' times... however, this won't work on every type of street tire.

Another thing you can do is to eliminate weight from the rear of the car, or if you can't REMOVE the weight, then find a way to relocate it to the front. The more weight that is in the rear of the car, the more tendency it will have to squat and transfer weight OFF of the drive wheels.... you want it to squat in front, but not in back.

The problem with the whole "tell me how to launch" thing is that, in the end, what works for me, may never work for anyone else. It all comes down to trial and error, and getting used to your car. Try a lot of different rpms and clutch/throttle application speeds... Find what works for YOU. Use other people's methods as a baseline, but don't be afraid to stray from their technique to try and innovate and find what might work a little better.

And lastly, remember that I have a VW, not a cav... and although our suspension designs and stock tire sizes are similar, there are many differences that can factor in. Mandy (LambOfGoddess) and PJ (DaFlyinSkwirl) both have ecotec J's and cut 2.0/2.1 60's consistently on tires that are even crappier than mine were when i cut my 2.0's. They both tend to launch aroudn 4000/4500 rpm.

let me see, anything else? hmm.... poly bushings and motor mounts go a long way in helping with driver feedback during a launch... the better you can feel what the car is doing, the better you will be able to compensate.

Obviously, there is no set "best launch technique". But what I CAN tell you almost NEVER works on street tires is straight up dropping the clutch. All this does is shock the tires if you're revving too high, or bog if you're revving any lower than the spin point.

Some people prefer to just let them spin off the line, and pump the gas pedal through first ..... i haven't tried it because i've been on DR's the last two times i was at the track and didn't really need to, but its another technique to think about.

You also did something very important with this thread, that a lot of people don't do... you saw that I cut pretty good 60's, and asked me how I do it. Always ask the people who actually HAVE good 60' times, and take the advice of those who don't with a grain of salt. When I first started, i took launch advice from a lot of people who i now know are dumbasses, but I was a newb and continued trying to take their advice for some time before I met up with the best 1.8T driver out there and learned directly from him. But even I don't do exactly what he does, so there's a lot to be said for modifying the technique to suit you. Good luck man, hope that helped!

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Monday, April 10, 2006 5:43 PM
Thanks for the info Scarab!!

But you do bring up a good point. Where are Mandy (LambOfGoddess) and PJ (DaFlyinSkwirl!! Tell me how u guys launched ur cavs!.

Viperred,
mm.. i tried a low drop and found my car kinda bogged down. But i'll keep it in mind. In fact, i think i'm going to make a chart andfill it out after each run.

Nate

Evolution of Cavyboy-->C22t--> C24na--->c24s/c
1995 Cavalier W/2k1 Engine
GM S/C 13.940@99.78pmh w/2.068 60ft
Tuesday, April 11, 2006 10:17 AM
looks like im going back to the track this saturday to practice up my launch technique. my first time at the track i was getting 2.4 60's.

==================

"An okay movie is the same as an ex girlfriend...it was good at the time,
but you never want to see it again... especially if the movie was a bitch."
Tuesday, April 11, 2006 3:10 PM
And just for the record, I used to drive a Jetta and those 1.8Ts are hard to launch, and I would assume especially so if you are running 13.6, so props to you Scarab on your launches.

I was happy when I heard my car ran 10s. Then I found out that was 0-60.
Wednesday, April 12, 2006 10:24 PM
Hey man making the chart and writing detailed info on all your runs is a EXCELLENT thing to do. GO in to the soviner shack at the track they should have the Summit Log book. Pic one of those up makes it sooo easy to track your info.

like Scarab said every car is different you have to find your own personal method. but everyone else info helps. i know when i from Bills car i did 2 runs at 2500 and it was a 2.12 60' then i did 1 run at 3500 and it was a 2.17 so maybe 3000 would have been the sweet spot........ i will never know now. and i think the only thing different from his car to your is he has Secret cams not sure if you have them.

Good luck on your search for the best 60' it can be tricky I did mine on IDEAL track conditions was bracket racing in the street class following 12 second slicked cars every run........if possible always try to run behind a slicked car as they lay good rubber on the track where a street car eats away at the launch surface

Saturday, April 15, 2006 9:40 AM
Hey Nate,

What are other people doing at Mission? It might be the new surface... still not being all that broken in yet thats causing the crappy 60fts.

I ran my 2.1 60ft, warming up the RS2s, launching at 3500rpm, slipping the clutch a bit, with no back seat, and nothing in the trunk. I was running 18psi in the tires.

I still think you should have gotten BFG DRs, those tires have a hella stiff sidewall.

Saturday, April 15, 2006 12:28 PM
I got a 2.1 60' on the CHEAPEST tires evar in my 03 ECO. they are Kenda Kineticas the front tire pressure was 24-26 psi... I also had the front lowered and the rear stock height just for the track so I would have more weight over the front like Scarab mentioned. I would love to hear from Lamb of goddess and Flyin squirrel about how they launch, I bet I could be in high 14's w/ a 2.0 60 foot!

Sunday, April 23, 2006 7:35 AM

now how in the hell could we miss it

"boobs now with Riboflabin"

Sunday, April 23, 2006 8:11 AM
VIPERREDZED wrote:Hey man making the chart and writing detailed info on all your runs is a EXCELLENT thing to do. GO in to the soviner shack at the track they should have the Summit Log book. Pic one of those up makes it sooo easy to track your info.

like Scarab said every car is different you have to find your own personal method. but everyone else info helps. i know when i from Bills car i did 2 runs at 2500 and it was a 2.12 60' then i did 1 run at 3500 and it was a 2.17 so maybe 3000 would have been the sweet spot........ i will never know now. and i think the only thing different from his car to your is he has Secret cams not sure if you have them.

Good luck on your search for the best 60' it can be tricky I did mine on IDEAL track conditions was bracket racing in the street class following 12 second slicked cars every run........if possible always try to run behind a slicked car as they lay good rubber on the track where a street car eats away at the launch surface

This is one of the best post we have had on launching cars. What you said about recording info is soo right. I have one of those Summit log books. I have runs from my 97 Z24, and my 2001 Z24. Good way to compare info. I have now made me a log for my laptop to record the info. Make adjsutments and record those adjustments, go back and compare. That is what the pro's do.

Also very well put on here is it comes down to what works best for you. Take what has been said and try it til you find the one that works best for you.

FU Tuning

Sunday, April 23, 2006 12:31 PM
Prolly Why i am a Former 2x class champion (street, Mod) and former Overall Track Champion

Sunday, April 23, 2006 3:08 PM
Jcavi wrote:

now how in the hell could we miss it

hey man, when i'm cutting short times like that on stock tires that a lot of my fellow dubbers can't touch, i'm gonna brag about it lol

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Sunday, April 23, 2006 6:47 PM
I think we need to un pimp your auto of ummm..........your half jdm markers.

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Monday, April 24, 2006 10:37 AM
thats straight-up euro, G.... german engineering in da HAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUSSSSS!!!

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search