fwd question - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
fwd question
Monday, April 17, 2006 7:28 PM
just wondering if there are any advantages to driving a cavalier or any fwd car for that matter in an autoX or road race situation. i've never really read many debates about this. kinda wonder what people think. the only thing i can really think of is that in a fwd car you can induse understeer with the throttle and in a rwd car you can induse oversteer with the throttle. i alsounderstand it varies a little bit from car to car

Re: fwd question
Tuesday, April 18, 2006 6:34 AM
In school we were "learned" that FWD is a lot more forgiving then RWD. Haven driven both I dont think it really matters, its just part of learning to drive your car. I dont see much understeer with my FWD, and didnt see much oversteer with the RWD. Then again, im not talking about fast cars, my cavalier and an older (90's) trans am.
Tuesday, April 18, 2006 9:20 AM
from what i've seen, in general fwd cars tend to push more and rwd cars tend to slide more, I wonder if you can get either one to have truely nutral steer
Tuesday, April 18, 2006 1:21 PM
Yes, you can setup a FWD to be more nuetral or over steer. It mostly has to do the swaybars. The amount of understeer can be reduced by using a sway bar of equal or slightly larger diameter. You can also use struts, springs, tire sizes (diameter and width), tire pressure and wheels.

The OEMs set up the chasis to understeer, because you are lees likely to get into trouble understeering than oversteering.

Do some research in the Suspension & Brake forum for more information.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 3:54 PM
good info, thanks
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search