My disappointing night... I hate CELs. - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My disappointing night... I hate CELs.
Sunday, April 23, 2006 10:07 AM
I apologize for the kinda hazy times... I left my logbook at my parents so I dont have the exact numbers I ran.

With slicks and a motor that felt faster than my old LD9 I figured a 14.9 would be easy... wrong... but a 15.104@88.9mph isnt bad... espically when my car goes into limp mode halfway down the track/staging lanes! Around halfway there (track is 4 hours from my house) I started throwing a p0171... I've been sort of worried about leaning out abit on the top end for a while, but it wasnt throwing codes and adjusting fuel pressure didnt help much. Plugs dont look BAD... but they were a bit lighter than I feel comfy with.

The car was pretty consistant all night too, 15.2@88, 15.2@89, 15.1@89, 15.2@90mph (after giving it another 6psi of fuel pressure for a total of 66... chirping the slicks every gear!), with 2.2 60fts on all the passes except the 15.1.

But the good news is, my car is now at Level Zero, to get its new 11:1 Ecotec w/Patriot Head

Re: My disappointing night... I hate CELs.
Sunday, April 23, 2006 11:27 AM
What happened? whats that code mean?

2004 Turbo cavalier 11PSI and blown!
Sunday, April 23, 2006 11:38 AM
p0171... lean!

Sunday, April 23, 2006 5:35 PM
damn..... what was the pressure in the tires at? Track cold? 2.2's are street radial times.

At least you didnt break anything let us know how it does the next time out.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Monday, April 24, 2006 12:34 PM
Decent times.

Are you running the older version of LZM cams?

I can't wait to see how well you do after the patriot head and 11:1 Comp.!!!
Good luck

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Monday, April 24, 2006 1:12 PM
Yeah, I'm running the old cams... they've been working well... the car felt way faster than my old LD9 but started to run like ass half way to the race track and I could clear the code fast enough.

I hate the Eco computer

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 2:44 PM
That doesnt make much sense running NA you shouldnt be leaning out, those cams are most likely the culprit, cams have always been a problem on ecos, not the PCM

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 6:06 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote:That doesnt make much sense running NA you shouldnt be leaning out, those cams are most likely the culprit, cams have always been a problem on ecos, not the PCM

The stock pcm doesn't like the cams, so you can look at it however you want.

Also the fuel pressure regulator will do little to nothing for fuel delivery. You up the pressure the stock pcm will decrease the pulse widths of the injectors.

But the track times are promising. Maybe you should try the hp tuners software.

Thursday, April 27, 2006 10:50 AM
Having been bit by the CEL gremlins a few times at the track, I feel your pain. Good luck getting those cams to run.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Thursday, April 27, 2006 4:43 PM
Quote:

Also the fuel pressure regulator will do little to nothing for fuel delivery. You up the pressure the stock pcm will decrease the pulse widths of the injectors.

Yes, unless it cant lower or raise the pulse width enough... then the FPR will help.

But yeah, a stand alone or HPtuners will be coming soon, hptuners feels like a bandaid tho, and I'm pretty sure it'll mean that I could never convert to alcohol.

Thursday, April 27, 2006 5:05 PM
Hp tuners changes the stock ecu programming. Hardly a band aid.
A stand alone feels more like a bandaid to me. but hey, whatever works.

And If I remember correctly a stock eco's fuel pressure is about 65 psi. (I might be 10 psi off, lol) But when I checked the fuel pressure, I had a tech 2 to check out the pw of the injectors. Depending on fuel pressure at idle (manifold vacuum or no vacuum) the pw would change from 3.x to 2.x. or vice versa.
So it can change it quite a bit.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search