NHRA rule change...may affect you - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
NHRA rule change...may affect you
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 9:23 PM
Just a heads-up to all my fellow racers. Apparently as of March 2006 any driver of a car equipped with an AFTERMARKET forced induction or nitrous setup must have a fire jacket, meeting at least SFI 3.2A/1. This is for NHRA race tracks so I'm not sure about IHRA tracks. Not a bad idea to get one in any case. I got mine for 59.98 shipped

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26

Re: NHRA rule change...may affect you
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 10:24 PM
where did you find the fire suit for that price? my roomate needs to get one for his rsx-s

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 10:45 PM
I just got a G-Force jacket actually. Picked it up from Jegs, but if you want to make him spend more I can get them for a little more

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 11:01 PM
well considering Jegs is right up the street from here, he'll probably just go there. But thanks for the offer haha

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 11:09 PM
Only if you are racing @ an NHRA event I think is when that rule is inforced if I am not mistaken. I think for your regular test and tune session you should be fine because alot of the other rules which NHRA has they are not inforced.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 11:18 PM
Also... something new for this year is anyone who is not a factory forced induction also has to have an engine diper as well... which is something new in the rule book.. before it was if you went 9.99 or quicker but now its anyone who is FI.

Thursday, May 04, 2006 12:10 AM
ive known about it since janurary

and firebird here , only says you need a jacket , and said any time you race

they never said anything about a oil diper

Thursday, May 04, 2006 12:16 AM
what the hell is an engine diper?

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Thursday, May 04, 2006 12:49 AM
Karo,

Firebird has been enforcing that rule since Feb for ANY event, and they now have a list of cars that have a stock T/C or S/C...

However, Speedworld only enforces that rule for brackets and NHRA sponsored events...

basically it's up to each track's discretion when it comes to open track nights

Thursday, May 04, 2006 3:47 AM
Rodimus Prime wrote:what the hell is an engine diper?

i think its a mat that straps to the underside of the motor to contain oil spills/engine component fragments... why they mandate it for FI cars regardless of speed and not all motor cars also i don't know, considering a high-revving all motor engine is just as likely to break as an aftermarket FI car...NHRA, making rules for rules' sake since the beginning..... They should mandate it for freakin rotary cars, they're the one spilling all over the track all the time...

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Thursday, May 04, 2006 5:19 AM
i race at a IHRA track. woohoo

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!

Thursday, May 04, 2006 7:52 AM
Karo (Car Customs) wrote:Also... something new for this year is anyone who is not a factory forced induction also has to have an engine diper as well... which is something new in the rule book.. before it was if you went 9.99 or quicker but now its anyone who is FI.

I was told by my tech guy that the diaper wasn't going to be enforced for sportsman levels until 2007 at the earliest and right now it is up to the track. All 3 NHRA tracks around me are waiting for a mandatory ruling from NHRA to enforce it. I hope they don't make this rule effective soon because it is gonna send a lot of kids back to the streets if they get kicked out of Test and Tune events for not having an engine diaper. Not everyone can afford to buy a $300 part just to race legally a few times a year.

Thursday, May 04, 2006 9:38 AM
Really? Firebird is cracking down? WoW thats a change from seeing hack jobs at the track trying to race... I guess its a good thing but it will cut down on alot of people who are trying to race.

As far as the engine diper, I think its already started, local track kicked me out with the turbo integra because we did not have an engine diper and we were in a sportsman class. So I really dont know.......

Thursday, May 04, 2006 5:49 PM
yeah firebird kinda sucked

having to use a diper would suck too

Friday, May 05, 2006 3:39 PM
anyone have pics of a diaper installed?

15.1@90.34mph
Friday, May 05, 2006 6:31 PM
we have one on our front engine dragster you have to take them off to change the oil

Saturday, May 06, 2006 1:15 AM
If you go to Summit's website you can see what they look like. Looks like a duffle bag cut in half basically.

Monday, May 08, 2006 10:52 PM
-dougall- wrote:anyone have pics of a diaper installed?

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Monday, May 08, 2006 11:00 PM
^^^^^ been taking tomany roofies , lol

that pic is just so wrong

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 3:22 AM
What about the NDRA event?

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 8:21 AM
NDRA runs off mostly IHRA rules so I bet when IHRA changes the NDRA will too.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 9:04 AM
eh im not worried at all, its just a sunfire , my local track hasnt said anything to me or anyone else that ive heard of while i been racing so til then ill not worry

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 10:45 AM
Thanks Hypsy. I want to get nitrous with my NA engine and I won't if I gotta add more money just to have fun.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 11:17 AM
If I was you I'd get the coat just to be safe. Why not get a little extra protection? Only gonna cost you $60 for the jacket and it's cheap insurance. I was gonna buy one anyways this just sped me up. LOL.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 12:22 PM
lol, Great Lakes cracked down this year..... they didnt say anything about a jacket or diaper....... BUT they did crack down and make me open my hood, trunk, checked my belt tags, checked my helmet.......... usually they just mark my window, put my wrist band on, and tell me to get the hell out of the way..... then again I was the only one in line, and the two guys looked pretty bored

now I need new belts, mount them differently, new helmet....... and there was something about the fuel cell...... oh yea, have to add a ground (its a plastic tank.... not sure what I'm supposed to ground to yet)

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search