My first track night with the eco charger - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My first track night with the eco charger
Friday, May 05, 2006 6:05 AM
Sup guys,

this was done at a local 1/8 mile track, no timeslips were given to us, but it was just for fun and to try out the s/c so whatever.

1. 1984 Corvette, first race with the s/c, super spin 1st, hit the rev limiter, second hit the rev limiter again like 2 times, and got beat by barely a car. guess I was a little nervous lol
2. Civic hatch H22a, good start this time, beat it off the line, but he crept slowly past me at the end.
3. Jetta 2.0T, chipped, guy says he has 240 whp. I beat him by a car but he was gaining at the end.
4. Corvette 1980, would've beaten it without the s/c lol. Beat him by 3 cars at least.
5. Mustang GT modified, says he has 300 whp. Beat it on the start but it gained back and beat me by a car at the end.
6. Golf 1.8T 240 whp chipped, beat him on the start, he was gaining but I won by a nose.
7. WRX stock, second worst launch of the night, and we all know how WRX's launch, so I didn't have the time to gain back the lost ground, lost by like 2 cars.

The guys I was racing really didn't want to race at first, since I look completely stock, not even a muffler, so I had to tell them about the s/c and that I was pushing about 210 whp before they would even consider racing me, but needless to say, I surprised more than one of them

I was running on my 17", tires at 40 psi, no suspension adjustments, had spare tire, jack and 2 10" subs in the back, and I always had one of my friends in the car with me, though the other cars mostly had 1 other people in the car too.

it was very fun lol, the s/c is worth every penny

15.574 @ 89 mph stock without charger. new times with charger coming soon.

Re: My first track night with the eco charger
Friday, May 05, 2006 7:29 AM
why, oh why, don't you lower your tire pressures? lol... 40 psi is too high really to even drive on the street, your car's gotta ride like its got 2x4's for springs.... don't need to go any higher than 35 for daily driving and racing should be down to at least 25.

I wanna see some slips! lol... cuz frankly, heads up is too dependent on driver to really judge what your car is doing... i've schooled cars before that should have handed me my ass because their drivers were complete tools. But, glad to see you're happy with it so far!

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, May 05, 2006 7:35 AM
simply because this is not serious racing... lol, so I didn't bother.

and you're right the ride is pretty rough but I'm used to it.

I'm going to the 1/4 mile track in a couple of weeks... we'll see if I can hit a very low 14

Friday, May 05, 2006 1:13 PM
Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) wrote:why, oh why, don't you lower your tire pressures? lol... 40 psi is too high really to even drive on the street, your car's gotta ride like its got 2x4's for springs.... don't need to go any higher than 35 for daily driving and racing should be down to at least 25.

I wanna see some slips! lol... cuz frankly, heads up is too dependent on driver to really judge what your car is doing... i've schooled cars before that should have handed me my ass because their drivers were complete tools. But, glad to see you're happy with it so far!

how is 40 psi too high for street driving? i guess really low gas mileage is a goal? haha

Friday, May 05, 2006 2:38 PM
because the recommended pressure is typically 30-35 psi, and the MAXIMUM safe pressure is typically 44 psi on most tires. And to be honest, their is still debate as to whether increased tire pressure actually increases your gas mileage at all. A group tested several of the popular gas mileage increasing techniques, and found that even with tire pressures down 8 psii from the manufacturer's recommended pressure, there was no measurable difference in mpg.

It'll also help the tires to wear faster as less sidewall flex from higher pressure makes the tread compound take the brunt of any forces encountered

Its just not necessary, and all it does is make the car ride harder.

Besides that, if you were THAT concerned about mileage, why the hell did you go put a supercharger on your car lol.....

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, May 05, 2006 2:42 PM
Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) wrote:because the recommended pressure is typically 30-35 psi, and the MAXIMUM safe pressure is typically 44 psi on most tires. And to be honest, their is still debate as to whether increased tire pressure actually increases your gas mileage at all. A group tested several of the popular gas mileage increasing techniques, and found that even with tire pressures down 8 psii from the manufacturer's recommended pressure, there was no measurable difference in mpg.

It'll also help the tires to wear faster as less sidewall flex from higher pressure makes the tread compound take the brunt of any forces encountered

Besides that, if you were THAT concerned about mileage, why the hell did you go put a supercharger on your car lol.....

who said i was complaining? i didnt read that but whatever. my kumho's are rated to hold 51 but hold 40-42 in them and i can see a increase in gas mileage when they are low around 35psi or so.

Saturday, May 06, 2006 2:37 AM
Quote:

who said i was complaining?

i don't know, but it wasn't me.... i said if you were concerned about mileage... never said anything about complaining... guilty conscious?

anyway, enough jacking of dantes thread

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, May 06, 2006 2:00 PM
Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) wrote:because the recommended pressure is typically 30-35 psi, and the MAXIMUM safe pressure is typically 44 psi on most tires. And to be honest, their is still debate as to whether increased tire pressure actually increases your gas mileage at all. A group tested several of the popular gas mileage increasing techniques, and found that even with tire pressures down 8 psii from the manufacturer's recommended pressure, there was no measurable difference in mpg.

funny I heard the exact opposite about tire wear... I heard the more pressure, the less they wear..

My other main reason for keeping them at 40 psi is that you get better handling...

Saturday, May 06, 2006 2:14 PM
Now to another question about tire pressure. I'm not really sure how low I can go without risking cupping or damaging tires or wheels. My tire size is 215-45-17. I think I went a low as 28 psi last summer...

Saturday, May 06, 2006 7:20 PM
i am just thankful 3 outta my 4 tires hold air.

anyways, keep us updated on some times.

good luck.

Saturday, May 06, 2006 9:02 PM
Blown DanteMustDie wrote:

funny I heard the exact opposite about tire wear... I heard the more pressure, the less they wear..

My other main reason for keeping them at 40 psi is that you get better handling...

too much pressure will do it also.... just in a different way...

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said

Sunday, May 07, 2006 8:09 AM
Go out and do a nice burnout, then look at your tire marks. If the middle is darker than the outsides, then you have too much tire pressure, if the outsides are darker, you have too little pressure. Obviously your goal is to have the same darkness the entire width of the mark. Don't forget, if you pressure is 40 cold, when they heat up your pushin mid to upper 40's.

2000 Turbo Z
Sunday, May 07, 2006 8:44 AM
Burnout wrote:Go out and do a nice burnout, then look at your tire marks. If the middle is darker than the outsides, then you have too much tire pressure, if the outsides are darker, you have too little pressure. Obviously your goal is to have the same darkness the entire width of the mark.

This could also mean a camber/caster problem.....not just air pressure.

RE Audio
Sunday, May 07, 2006 11:21 AM
Hope you had fun with your car!!! This is what matter the most!! Drag racing is always for fun, since you don't do it for business or your pink slips...... How do you like the charger Dante???

Sunday, May 07, 2006 11:28 AM
I love it ! It feels great to have a car that can move... it's not a racing car but is hardly just a grocery getter anymore...

the best part about it for daily driving is how the power band changed from 2000 to 3000 rpm... I know it sounds silly but most of my daily driving is in that range, and I can definitely feel the torque difference from before. It's just more fun to get going lots faster from stop signs or traffic lights, without even being at 25% throttle...

Of course WOT is where it's at for maximum fun

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 10:44 PM
What is your gas mileage around town and on the highway. You probably should let the new wear off a little before you report back. Im curious to whether or not the gas mileage increases. It should if you keep your foot out of it due to the better volumetric efficiency but I would like to see if it does.

02 LS Sport http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135396
68 Firebird http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135556
56 GMC http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135587
66 Suburban http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135589
Wednesday, May 10, 2006 3:16 AM
trust me, you want 40psi in your tire for the street (if they can take it). Gm specification is 30lbs in the stocky on the Z but I still put it at 35-38psi. The road are so bad that you don't want to run lower pressure.

Now Dante, leave St-eustache and come to a real track. Either Sanair or Napierville and show those damn civic that we can beat them.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 4:33 AM
lol will do man, just gotta find time... if you're willing to come to Napi someday just send me an email or something...

about my gas mileage, I haven't yet driven a full tank while being easy on the s/c, and somehow I think that'll take a while to accomplish ... I did notice that when I'm on it it really drops my mileage a lot.... but that's part of the game I guess

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 10:47 AM
I should be at the CSCS event. My car is not complete yet and I'm still waiting for my 12:1 wiseco pistonbs and Eagle rods from Karo. Once I get everything set, I will run at the track. I plan on racing the car for July 15th at Sanair. We have a meet of beretta's and we'll probably do a few test on saturday and race at the NDRA event on sunday.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Friday, May 26, 2006 10:46 PM
I'm runnin BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 and the max tire pressure for those are either 50 or 51 psi and i generaly run them around 45 psi and my cavi rides normal for a lowered car if not better.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search