Track lingo - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Track lingo
Thursday, May 04, 2006 6:05 AM
Alright, now that I'm visiting the strip more I'm starting to hear all this slang talk. I have a general idea what these mean, but see if someone can break these down. More on how to do it and what is involved than anything else.

#1- Granny Shifting
#2- Double Clutching
#3- Power Shifting

After these are explained clearly feel free to add some that you've heard, but make sure you give an explanation for it.

Re: Track lingo
Thursday, May 04, 2006 6:15 AM
there's one definition for all of them:

terms you heard in a really gay movie

but to be more specific...

granny shifting refers to shifting too slow

double clutching is a technique thats pretty much been obsolete since the advent of the synchronized manual transmission... it used to be that to shift gears, you had to put the clutch in, stick the shifter in neutral, rev-match, then clutch in again and put the shifter into the desired gear.... you rarely have to do this now unless a synchro breaks

power shifting typically refers to either shifting without using the clutch, or shifting without taking your foot off the gas.... both can lead to a lot of broken parts whether you do it right or not, but screwing it up will bring massive damage very quickly.

Sooooo basically, don't do any of the three things you listed.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Thursday, May 04, 2006 6:25 AM
#1- Granny Shifting - I think this is regular shifting, used to keep the clutch from unnescessary wear.

#2- Double Clutching - Say you're in first and going to shift; double clutching would be clutch, shift into neutral, release clutch, press clutch, shift into second, release clutch.

#3- Power Shifting - Keeping the gas pedal floore while changing gears. Hard on the drivetrain.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2265283
Thursday, May 04, 2006 7:23 AM
Admiral Jedi, for #2 you forgot the 'rev match' part.

Blown.
Thursday, May 04, 2006 9:15 AM
Oh, whoops. Thanks for the correction.

Thursday, May 04, 2006 9:51 AM
Scarab- "power shifting" wasn't in that movie. Was it?

I heard "power shifting" at the track. But, it sounded bad when the guy explained it to me. Like I was going to tear some stuff up, quick.

Thursday, May 04, 2006 1:13 PM
Admiral Jedi wrote:#1- Granny Shifting - I think this is regular shifting, used to keep the clutch from unnescessary wear.

#2- Double Clutching - Say you're in first and going to shift; double clutching would be clutch, shift into neutral, release clutch, press clutch, shift into second, release clutch.

#3- Power Shifting - Keeping the gas pedal floore while changing gears. Hard on the drivetrain.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys.

Pretty much what he said. I have found everyone has a different meaning on these things. Power shifting is about the only one that most people see the same on. Truly the only harm from power shifting you can do it wearing the clutch out, which if your racing your going to do.

FU Tuning

Thursday, May 04, 2006 2:44 PM
basically no need to do these things no matter what Domonic Torreto says

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Thursday, May 04, 2006 9:38 PM
if you do any of em you may ende up overnighting parts from japan

Friday, May 05, 2006 4:08 AM
LiquidFireCavy (mdk) wrote:if you do any of em you may ende up overnighting parts from japan

but don't worry, you'll still be able to give Dom his 10 second car that you owe him, and beat that punk in the ferrari too.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, May 05, 2006 6:58 AM
OK, guys. Enough with the F&F references. I wasn't even thinking in that direction, jerks.

I had a guy in a 60's Mustang and a Challenger ask me those questions. The guy in the Challenger was running 7.77 in the 1/8. I was in the high 10s. It didn't hurt to take notice to what the guy was doing even though they had different trans, engines, and well everything. Plus, about 6 times the horsepower.

I know I wasn't going to cut my ET in half, but thought everything is worth listening to. Heck, I read all your posts don't I?

Friday, May 05, 2006 7:25 AM
hahaha we're just bustin you dude...

the thing about old school muscle cars is that they can do things like powershifting, because their tranmissions were built with power and racing in mind... unfortunately.... the J-body transmissions... well, they were designed for anything but racing.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, May 05, 2006 12:04 PM
Here's one: What exactly does "glazing the clutch mean"?

Friday, May 05, 2006 1:34 PM
Earl Rourk wrote:I had a guy in a 60's Mustang and a Challenger ask me those questions.

Was he mocking you?

Friday, May 05, 2006 2:02 PM
Hey, Wild Weasel, you still got both those spoilers on your car? Just wondering 'cause I know that had to make that Sunfire a 10 second car.

Saturday, May 06, 2006 7:44 AM
Well, the form of double clutching used now is for road racing. You get hard on the breaks for a corner, shift outta gear, rev match, down shift. It keep the rear tires from breaking loose under hard breaking.

"Glazing the clutch" happens when you exessively slip the clutch. By slipping the clutch you cause alot of friction and and actually burn the plates. This may not be the best analogy, but think of it like when you rub and polish a car, you are burning the paint causing it to shine. Same thing with the clutch, it's now burnt and shiny and doesn't have the grab it used to.

Granny shifting is just a slang way of saying you shift like an old lady.

Power shifting is shifting with your foot still to the floor, thus keeping full power thru the shift.

2000 Turbo Z
Saturday, May 06, 2006 7:50 AM
wiht my volks rocket i power shift, but i have a kennedy stage four clutch

fully built 2200-TO4E T3/T4-HP tuners-373hp @18psi
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search