1/4 Mile Times After the S/C - Page 2 - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 1/4 Mile Times After the S/C
Friday, May 12, 2006 12:28 AM
Luke Heier wrote:Well, I went to the track this weekend to test out the S/C on my '99 Cav Z24. My best time was a 15.0 at 92 MPH. I still have stock exhaust, stock manifold, and no alky injection yet. I was hoping to at least get into the 14's, but oh well. Maybe next time. My car was bogging at the bottom of every gear, so I think I've got to switch to some different spark plugs. Hopefully after that it will run better.

I plan on doing 2.5" exhaust with header in the next few weeks and hopefully alky injection also....Money has been running a little short lately. But I will be going to the track again after that and I will post some more times.

what day did you go to WIR im there like every weekend?

PPPSSSS!!!! MMMMMmmmMMM boost=yummy

Friday, May 12, 2006 1:48 AM
Lash wrote:Have you driven an Eaton S/C'd cavy? Maybe you should before you go saying how easy it is to cut 2.0 60's on street tires with basically zero suspension mods. i dont give two ***s what you pulled in your car...they are totally different cars with different weight ratios ans suspensions set-ups.

But go ahead thinking you know it all. Thats why I love this site.

you really need to relax man. I'm not assaulting you in any way, i'm just stating the truth as i see it. No, I have never driven an Eaton SC'd cavy, but i DO drive a car thats in the same ballpark weight as a J, with a very similar suspension (which is still stock too), the exact same tires, and a helluva lot more torque than a straight-out-of-the-box M45 kit makes on a 2.4. If you stopped trying to get pissed at me for suggesting that maybe you simply needed more practice, and looked at the numbers, you'd see that my car isn't all that different, and is in fact at a disadvantage for traction compared to an SC Z24. I'm not talking about my car just to brag about what I've done, I'm using it because its pretty close, even in FDR, to the car the original post is about.

I'm not saying its EASY to cut a 2.0, but i'm saying its WELL within the realm of possibility. It took me 8 months of going to the track twice a week before i could do it consistently, so i'm not saying that he should be able to do it his first or second time out. But the ADVANTAGE that an SC'd car has over one with a very small, ridiculously fast spooling turbo is that the power is linear. The SC'd car's powerband has the EXACT same shape as the car's N/A powerband, its just that the torque and hp curves are moved higher. This makes the SC a lot more predictable and consistent in its power delivery than the boost spike, settle, and eventual fade that I get.

The point is, i'm not the worlds greatest driver, and I don't claim to be, so if I can do it with what I've got, you and the OP can do it with what YOU have, given the right amount of practice. But if you'd rather sit around and make excuses instead of trying to improve, thats up to you.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, May 12, 2006 9:04 AM
I was there May 5th.

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Sunday, May 14, 2006 1:10 PM
Lash wrote:Have you driven an Eaton S/C'd cavy? Maybe you should before you go saying how easy it is to cut 2.0 60's on street tires with basically zero suspension mods. i dont give two ***s what you pulled in your car...they are totally different cars with different weight ratios ans suspensions set-ups.

But go ahead thinking you know it all. Thats why I love this site.

Chill out...Jersey Jay knows his stuff. You're flippin out just because he's tryin to give ya some helpful advice. Damn.

Monday, May 15, 2006 12:10 PM
I could care less about advice...I dont even own a cavalier anymore.

RE Audio
Friday, May 26, 2006 2:57 AM
wow, c'mon guys keep it up. This is like watching a soap opera or something. Well, scarab I choose once again to disagree with you. Trap speed is not the only thing that makes a 1/4 mile potentential prediction. Most of the guys I run with are in the 11-13 sec. group. Some of them are trapping up to 15 mph higher than others and running the same et's. It's a traction vs power thing. What's better yet, some of the guys running the roots are getting spanked at the line by the turbo guys, in two ways depending on how they set it up. Some cars, (rich's supra) make so much f@#$ing power under boost that he can't use the turbo off the line. So he stays out of it until he hits second. His car traps High 140's and only runs high 10's. Other guys are using their two step setups to create power right out of the hole. Then there are guys like robert (awesome 60's and rt's)running vortech fed small blocks, his car acts like a turbo but maintains the constant build effect of a turbo for digusting street numbers. His car is street legal and runs 5.702 in the 1/8 @130 ish. And then of course the is john and his eclipse w/42/lbs of boost. His 60's absolutely suck, but the car runs high 9's on street tires. To summarize stop talking about the 60 ft's, and trap speeds. You don't want to focus on any one area. You want good 60's with a torque curve to follow.

And BTW stop comparing your car to his. If you want to evaluate driving skills both of u use the same car on the same track on the same day. Then the variables go away, and you can end your debate
Friday, May 26, 2006 9:51 AM
Quote:

Some of them are trapping up to 15 mph higher than others and running the same et's. It's a traction vs power thing.

Yeah, and obviously the guys who are trapping higher would run quicker ET's with better traction yes? So how are you saying anything different than I am? If a car can trap 15 mph faster than another car, but runs the same ET, it still has the potential to run A LOT faster than the other car if it gets the same or better 60' time and doesn't f---- up shifts. You say you're disagreeing with me, but then you argue the same point that I am.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, May 26, 2006 2:54 PM
Quote:

And BTW stop comparing your car to his. If you want to evaluate driving skills both of u use the same car on the same track on the same day. Then the variables go away, and you can end your debate

Best post in this thread.

RE Audio
Sunday, May 28, 2006 9:10 PM
Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) wrote:
Quote:

Some of them are trapping up to 15 mph higher than others and running the same et's. It's a traction vs power thing.

Yeah, and obviously the guys who are trapping higher would run quicker ET's with better traction yes? So how are you saying anything different than I am? If a car can trap 15 mph faster than another car, but runs the same ET, it still has the potential to run A LOT faster than the other car if it gets the same or better 60' time and doesn't f---- up shifts. You say you're disagreeing with me, but then you argue the same point that I am.

No, No, No. The guys who are trapping higher are running the same et's because the car comes alive later, just because a car traps higher does not mean that the car will run lower et's there is too many variables. example you could start with two identical cars build one for a roots supercharger, and one for a turbo. the one with the roots will have better 60' times because of the on demand power due to the more broad power curve. but the turbo car will make more power however it takes a little while to come to life. Guys like John and his awd turbo cut horrid 60' times but have the horsepower to catch up later thus the higher trap speed. All the traction in the world would not help his car, cause i doesn't make any low end power, but once the boost is there it's straight nasty. The two step system would not even help this car as it makes enough power that if he left the line on boost and TRACTION he would just destroy the drivetrain. So , I reiterate just because a car traps higher doesn't mean it can cut better et's. It all comes down to the setup and the power curve of the car. Thus why I said it is a traction versus power thing, not a traction and power thing.
Sunday, May 28, 2006 9:12 PM
btw I am not trying to slam you just trying to clarify my opinion on the situation. No disrespect intended.
Friday, June 02, 2006 2:51 AM
1.9 on street tires

-weight -tire pressure -wheel spin + more RPMs = lower 1/4 mile times.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Friday, June 02, 2006 4:30 AM
Gary Coakley wrote:btw I am not trying to slam you just trying to clarify my opinion on the situation. No disrespect intended.

Ok, let me clarify.... i don't by any means say that trap speed will equate to EXACTLY what the ET should be, but it can give a fair estimate. You guys are jumping on the peas and carrots of what i'm saying and leaving the t-bone off on the side of the plate. Beyond the fact that comparing 8 and 9 second full drag cars to a 13-14 second street cars is MUCH more irrelevant than my comparison of the bug to a J. I'm at least comparing cars of similar weight, suspension design, and drivetrain. Its a ballpark, but the OP is definitely able to do better than what he's running now. For ONCE i'm being positive and supportive dammit so just let me! lol...

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search