Tire choice for the strip? - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tire choice for the strip?
Saturday, May 13, 2006 1:46 PM
Ok, here is my question. I plan to run my car for the first time since the turbo went in on the 1/4 mile. Should I go with the stock RSA's on the 16's or with my autocross Falken RT615's on my 17x8's. My debate is whether or not the softer sidewalls of the RSA's would be better than the super stiff sidewalls of the Falkens. However, the Falkens are wider and are of a grippier rubber. Again though, the RSA's are on the smaller 16's vs. the larger wheels on the Falkens. So I guess each has its pros and cons, but I was just hoping someone with more drag experience than myself could help out. I'm not much of a drag racer, I just want to see what the car can do at its best. Thanks to all.

"If you aren't shifting, then you certainly aren't driving!"

Re: Tire choice for the strip?
Saturday, May 13, 2006 2:11 PM
id say RSA's. but if you really want to find out. take both sets with you. make a few passes on one set switch over and make a few on the other

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Saturday, May 13, 2006 2:14 PM
If you have to choose between those 2 take the stock wheels with RSAs. The stock wheels will be lighter and are smaller so less rolling mass and diameter.

If you can afford to spend a few hundred dollars I would recommend some BFG Drag Radials or full slicks. You will love the difference they make.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Sunday, May 14, 2006 8:37 AM
I would go with the 17's. Reason is sticker tires. Also depending on the tire size they could be shorter than the 16's anyways. Also because of more power the 17's and the more roating mass can help suck up some of that power, and help grip (only some). The best set-up would be some 14's with drag radials.

FU Tuning

Sunday, May 14, 2006 1:10 PM
i would go the 16s i in my experince i went 15.3 with stock rims and RSA went with my 17s and went 15.6

not i have 15's with drag radials and run 15.1

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search