Dirt track - what tires?? - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Dirt track - what tires??
Monday, May 15, 2006 12:12 PM
So my Cav is going to be a dirt/clay oval track racecar. I'm going to be picking up some 95-99 Z rims to replace the more expensive 02 LSS rims, and I'm wondering what tires would work best for racing in the dirt, and street-driving to & from home?? I don't have space for a truck & trailer, so that's not an option lol. I realize most of yall are drag or AutoX only, not too many dirt guys around but I don't know where else to go really. Thanks for the help

F/S: 2005 KAWASAKI ZX-6R 636, 1107ish Miles, $7500 OBO

Re: Dirt track - what tires??
Monday, May 15, 2006 3:07 PM
id say Hoosier dirt track tires. not sure if they come in 16 inches

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Monday, May 15, 2006 3:10 PM
99redz24 wrote:id say Hoosier dirt track tires. not sure if they come in 16 inches

Roughed In wrote:I'm going to be picking up some 95-99 Z rims to replace the more expensive 02 LSS rims

I was under the impression that 95-99 Z rims are 15", not 16" like the LSS??

Monday, May 15, 2006 3:46 PM
z24 are 16s. i have a 99 z24. and they are 16s

Monday, May 15, 2006 7:27 PM
As far as Hoosier Dirt track tires they come in 13" and 15" and much wider than a 6" wide rim will hold. The few tires they do have require a 7" to 8" wide rim.

Most tracks wont allow an aluminum rim nor most plastics or glass, that is required for street use. It would be interesting to look at the rules for the division you plan on running.

Monday, May 15, 2006 8:13 PM
99redz24 wrote:z24 are 16s. i have a 99 z24. and they are 16s

Ahh, good to know. Thanks

MadJack wrote: Most tracks wont allow an aluminum rim nor most plastics or glass, that is required for street use. It would be interesting to look at the rules for the division you plan on running.

I don't have a hard copy of the rules yet, just stuff I've asked my buddies about that race there. What I'm going to try to do is use Dzus fasteners to attach the lexan windows (side & rear, stock windshield), and then remove them before I race. Mirrors, I'm going to try to find some light-weight ones that I can attach to the lexan windows. As for the headlights & taillights, those are easy as hell to remove anyway, so it wouldn't be a problem to remove them either. Bumper covers are apparently required, unless they get smashed to hell on the track of course. Handles are optional since the doors need to be chained/wired closed (Nascar/Dukes-style entry & exit)

I was noticing how wide the Hoosiers and stuff are on E-Bay I'm thinking about finding some used truck tires and try them. One of the other rules my buddies told me about is no brand-new tires are allowed for the competition races. 1-on-1 doesn't have any real rules except for "street car" but that's also not worth the trouble for two reasons. #1 There's not as much prize-wise and #2 It's not at all an even playing field - you can race any car you want. My Cav vs the GTP that's constantly out there... yea guess who would win?? lol

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 2:42 PM
Z24 wheels are 16's

--------------
Yea, ummmm. I used to have a J-body...
Tuesday, May 16, 2006 6:39 PM
David S, The Camaro Guy. wrote:Z24 wheels are 16's

thank you. i said that yestrreday

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 7:03 PM
when are you putting in the roll cage.............and such lol

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 7:07 PM
Heres a cavvy circle track car from ONtario

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 9:23 PM
^ Yea, I saw those pics in P&M and somewhere's else on here, lol.

VIPERREDZED wrote:when are you putting in the roll cage.............and such lol

Sadly it won't be getting caged afterall, unless I can somehow manage to hide it beneath/behind the stock interior panels & headliner... I'll be doing lots of measuring and such to see if I can somehow manage to fit one in there, lol. But I definetly will gut the doors and put X bars in them, welded in of course. I'm also going to figure out what I can fit beneath the bumpers/fenders/quarters as well.

Quick chop of what I mean:

All that there seems like way more effort than it's worth tho, so I'll prolly do heavy-duty X cages on the driver side, light-duty on the passenger side, and just stronger bumpers F&R w/o cage tying them into the doors.

So yea, anybody happen to know what size 16" truck tires will fit under a Cav?? lol. Right now mine is slammed, but I'm lookin' around for a decent stock suspension where I'm not gettin' bent over. Gotta make it to the JY one of these days.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search