autox setups - Page 2 - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: autox setups
Sunday, May 14, 2006 3:16 PM
Stock, hey its the cheapest way.

--------------------------------------
04 Cavalier LS Sport- Red with factory silver stripes.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 4:31 PM
Ground Controls and Konis are the most competitive setup you will get from the coil/shock combo. You can get different spring rates from GC down the road, in case you need more spring.

Stiff front springs and the huge rear bar is the name of the game for all nose-heavy FWD cars. You want to get as far from understeer as possible. Stiff springs and big rear bar (22-25.4mm) will get you to oversteer at will, drop throttle or brake induced, you will be able to bring the end to come around... If you want less oversteer, you can always drop the rear pressures down 5-10 psi and get more grip in the rear.

I ran all kinds of street tires and V700 Kumhos. Now running Hoosier R3SO4 in stock class, we'll see how it goes.

For street tires 40+ psi front, 30-35 rear. For Kumhos, 38-45 front, 30 rear. For older R compounds like Toyo RA-1 or BFG R1, front 30-34, rear 25-30. Hoosiers are similar to Kumhos. All these are the starting points that will give you good grip and not mess up your tire shoulders due to excessive rolling.

You are right, you want to start serious autocrossing with the good street rubber, for two reasons:

1) Less forgiving in general, you really have to learn to handle the car and pick right lines and brake/gas points.
2) More forgiving at the limit, will give you plenty of warning before hell breaks lose. Stickies will snap at you.

Buddy of mine and myself wrote a couple of very useful guides for newbies, tires, suspension, autocrossing in general and some other stuff... a lot of people from the region used them and liked them... take a peek:

http://www.fmc-inc.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=997

CAC2004 FSS#1, 2003,2004 Atlantic FSP #1, 2004 Overall Atlantic #1

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 4:59 PM
wow, those pdf's look like a lot to read. I think i'm gonna download those and read them a little later. But thanks for all the good info.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 6:34 PM
do you want to read or spend money on stuff that won`t get you the real deal ?

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 8:05 PM
well if you do my differential equations homework for me, i will read them right now. otherwise it will hafta wait.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 2:47 PM
ewwww

i had enough of engineering degrees ... you gotta do that on your own

ewwww

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 5:58 PM
diff eq was easy, and you'll use it A LOT

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search