racing belts in autocross - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
racing belts in autocross
Tuesday, May 30, 2006 3:31 PM
I have been wondering on how to go about attaching racing belts. It's real easy to do with a cage or harness bar, but i have also heard about wrapping it around the rear strut bar. I know I have seen a couple people who had it mounted there. Is this an acceptable method of attachment for autocross? Does it matter that I have the vibrant rear strut bar which isn't round?

Re: racing belts in autocross
Wednesday, May 31, 2006 8:37 PM
most ppl i know that dont have a bar of any kind attach them to where the rear seat belts attach

Thursday, June 01, 2006 10:26 AM
AutoFreak57 (97redgt) wrote:i have also heard about wrapping it around the rear strut bar

That has to be one of the worst ideas anyone has ever told you.

I've got a 3 point harness attached to the top rear seatbelt mount and the other two points to the factory seat belt locations (while also leaving my factory belt in tact).

Thursday, June 01, 2006 12:42 PM
yeah, i thought they weren't supposed to support any weight in that direction, that's why I asked. That guy's strut bar I saw was going to have to support a lot of weight if he crashed

Friday, June 16, 2006 11:20 AM
There are VERY SPECIFIC regulations and proper ways to attach Harnesses in your car. The rules that I had to follow when I installed harnesses in my car were very detailed.

I installed a roll cage quality bar to the B-pillar behind the drivers seat. It had to be mounted 4 inches below my shoulders and the belt had to be mounted to the bar at a 45 degree angle. The floor belts were mounted to the stock floor bolts of the stock seat belts, but were reinforced.

I'll snap a few pics of my set-up to show you what I have the weekend. NEVER install harnesses to the floor OR to the rear strut bar - You are asking to be injured by doing this.

Proud member of PreciZion

Friday, June 16, 2006 12:23 PM
I am autoxing with my regular seatbelt and a helment. At what point do they determine when you need a harness?

2004 Cavalier. Razzi. (Sold)
1998 Corvette. Some mods.
1992 Typhoon. Lots of mods.
1994 Civic VX 44MPG
Friday, June 16, 2006 2:41 PM
well mine are attached, for now, to the rear bottom seat belt bolts and the stock front belt bolts. It looks to be less than a 45 degree angle from horizontal, but i am looking for a better way to attach them still.

rob - basically, you use a harness to help you. It holds you into the seat better, but there is no point where it is required.

Friday, June 16, 2006 4:02 PM
There is no point that you need a harness, unless you are running an open wheel car.

You should never attatch your harness to the floor as if you get into an accident, the harness will compress your back and collapse a disc in your back - VERY bad if you have not gathered! lol My car is at a car show now - I'll snap some pics for you tomorrow on how mine is set-up.

Monday, June 19, 2006 3:02 PM
I reccomend this product to anyone wanting to improve on your driving period, CG-Lock. It is a simple device that locks your factory seat belt so you dont slide around in your seat. I have had mine for about (2) months and am amazed at how much better control of my car that I have. It's legal for SCCA racing too. The price is under $50 shipped and the Customer Service is the best.

www.cg-lock.com

Mike
"information is All Powerfull"
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 3:13 PM
^^^ Thats exactly what I was going to suggest for those who dont have a roll cage/ harness bar.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 5:41 PM
Pics at last - Sorry for the delay...

I should add that I had this bar fabricated by a shop that specializes in Roll Cages and Bars. They had all the specs so that it would meet and exceed ARMS and most Drag Track code.

The Bar Itself - I Wrap The Belts Around The Bar When Not In Use

Nice Clean Edges - Note This Is Made From Roll Cage Quality Steel

How The Harnesses Attach To The Bar - All The Hardware Comes With The Kit From RJS Racing

Belts In Place - Ready To Go

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 7:02 PM
very nice, wish I had the ability to make something like that

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 7:11 PM
Dont forget the harness bar that RDfabs.com recently released for the j body .

http://www.rdfabs.com/usbgmj.asp

I just ordered mine about 1 hr ago.

Jeff

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 7:15 PM
Nice fab work. One question- why use a Y type harness with a bolt on fitting like that instead of an H type wrap around?

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 7:45 PM
James Cahill wrote:Nice fab work. One question- why use a Y type harness with a bolt on fitting like that instead of an H type wrap around?

That is the type RJS actually recomended using when I bought the harnesses, so that is what I used! lol

The bar cost me $250 cdn installed - WAY cheaper than that bar! It looks pretty sweet just the same though!

Saturday, July 01, 2006 12:19 PM
Im trying to make a harness bar that attaches to the b-pillar by way of the stock seat belt bolts....im hoping for a lower price of about 100-200 but i will see. im gonna be making 10 of them

2007 GM Tuner Bash...HELL YEA
PA,MD,NJ,DE,NY and all states north caravan
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search