goin to the track with turbocharged sunfire - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
goin to the track with turbocharged sunfire
Saturday, June 03, 2006 2:47 PM
whats up everyone . well i am goin run my car tonight . its a 2001 sunfire with 2200 and 4 speed auto . i am running the j tuners turbo kit with intercooler kit . and a b&m shift kit . hopefully i can do a low 15's somwhere between 15.0 to 15.4 i will be happy . if i break into 14's that would be awesome but i dought it . well i will get on later tonight to post what i run . that way people can see what the j tuners kit can do .

Re: goin to the track with turbocharged sunfire
Sunday, June 04, 2006 12:31 AM
well i just got back from the track . best run was a 15.7 ...... on 4 psi . with t3 super 60 turbo . on a 2001 2200 4 speed auto . any suggestions on making it go faster?
Sunday, June 04, 2006 1:46 AM
up the boost to around 6 psi, and youll see 15 flat no problem
Sunday, June 04, 2006 2:36 AM
ummm, filling out your registry with the mods on your car and also giving us ALL of the info on the timeslip might help.... with what you've told us so far you might as well be asking us to tell you what the weather in your town will be in 3 years and 5 days... we simply don't have the necessary info to help you. Trap speed, 60' time, all of these are important to seeing where your ET can be improved.

Also, how is your car tuned? Not only methodology, but state of tune. Specifically, what AF ratio are you achieving and are there any big rich/lean spots?

Off the bat, without knowing anything else i can tell you that a higher stall torque converter will help, as will better tires. Upping the boost wouldn't be such a bad idea either so long as you have the fuel system to support it.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Sunday, June 04, 2006 3:18 PM
ok my rgistry is filled out now .
Sunday, June 04, 2006 5:21 PM
brad poiencot wrote:10:37 PM
03/Jun/06

Owner: brad poiencot (boosted22)
Car: 2001 Pontiac sunfire

R/T ... 1.932
60' ... 2.160
330 ... 6.422
1/8 ... 9.988
MPH ... 68.73
1000 ... 13.084
1/4 ... 15.716
MPH ... 85.50

Well, the main thing wrong is reaction time, as soon as the last yellow light is lit, mash the gas. How much wheelspin do you have off the line??? There should be little if any. Try upping your tire pressures all around if you have no wheelspin. The higher the pressure, the less rolling resistance; Usually max PSI at rear, highest PSI you can at front. Are you powerbreaking to spool the turbo??? That will help more than a little bit. Try experimenting to achieve the best 60' time. Also, weight reduction, weight reduction, weight reduction. Our cars are relatively heavy, but alot of weight can be removed simply, such as sound insulation, carpet, seats, headliner, ect. It all depends on how far you want to take it. Karo, for instance, has a 3rd gen Sunflower and weighs around 1900 lbs if I remember correctly. It must be noted, however, that his isn't street legal anymore. (correct me if I'm wrong, someone.) As said above, get a good air/fuel ratio guage, and a good stall converter to help while powerbreaking to spool up the turbo.

As far as times??? They're good for a stock EcoTec or Z24, could be a little better for a turbo 2200. Should be able to get in the high 14's with little effort.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Sunday, June 04, 2006 7:25 PM
yes i break torque it at the line . it bogged down some though also . probly because i had to much fuel . it doesn't have a very good tune on it right now i need to bring it to a dyno shoop to tune it and run good . as for weight reduction .... lol i had none . still had spareand all carpet. i am about to do a lot of wieght reduction though . headliner, carpet ., insulation , spare,.... all that good stuff. and actually i did spin for about 20 feet when i took off. i had stock tires from wal mart on it . and this was my first time racing it while turbo charged. so u are right about the practice on launching . i think i coulda hit better then a 15.7 because i didn't have the gas all the way down . i was kinda scared because it was the first time . we will see next time.
Sunday, June 04, 2006 9:30 PM
doesnt a car like yours stock run like 17-18 second 1/4 mile times? you have to look at that way.

Team GREEN

Monday, June 05, 2006 1:40 PM
Hey! ^^^^ Low 17s! lol

Saturday, June 10, 2006 7:38 AM
hmmm roofy you don't want high tire pressure in the front, you want lower...

15.574 @ 89 mph stock without charger. new times with charger coming soon.
Saturday, June 10, 2006 7:20 PM
^^ he said if you dont have any wheelspin. which i can see why he would think that. If he is on a lower pressure and had no spin .. he would loos a little bit of time due to more rubber on the track. So if you up the pressure and still have no spin you might be able to shave a little off with less rubber on the track. You just need to find that happy preasure.

Sunday, June 11, 2006 3:18 PM
First of all screw your R/T. Sit at the line all day if you want to. Launch when your ready...get your times down and consistent and THEN work on your reaction times. The 2.1 60ft isn't bad for street tires which is what I'm assuming you were using. The 1/8th mile MPH is a little on the light side which tells me you can leave harder and you could stand a little more low end pull. You have a good top end MPH so the car is moving good at the end. All in all it's a fairly good run that has a little room for improvement.

Oh and for anyone that wants to fight me and say he needs a good R/T...You don't need a good R/T unless your in a race that pays. Test and tune it doesn't matter and you can have a 7 minute R/T without hurting your times. R/T is not a factor in your run. Work on your runs and then work on your lights.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Sunday, June 11, 2006 5:21 PM
ok thanks hypsy . i guess i need to work on my launching technique then .
Sunday, June 11, 2006 8:39 PM
Yea, I was going to say basically what Hypsy said! R/t's aren't really anything unless you're doing bracket or some other form of timed racing where r/t actually matters.

Also, that was a pretty decent run on an auto 2200 only pushing 4psi. I've seen auto's pull high 16's low 17's all day. That 60' was really good also! What type of tires you have?

You're probably running about 120 or so to the wheels also if you were wondering. Get the boost to around 6-8psi on a GOOD tune and watch the times drop to where you originally wanted them. I'm sure by the time you get the engine running up there good your tires are going to start slipping a bit more, so borrow a friends DR's and get that high stall converter some people mentioned and you're deffinately going to be in the 14's! ; )

N2O + Bolt-ons = 220Hp/250Tq

Coming Soon:HpTunersPro, EagleConnectingRods, WiescoPistons, 13sec2200

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search